Will the real Van Till please stand up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwright82

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
There seems to be a diversity of Vantillians ranging from Theonomist s to 2k people, what is the consensus of who is closer? My own personal opinion is they all emphasize different aspects of his thinking. We can be a disfunctional family but a family none the less.

I have reflected on this quite a bit. A true Van Tilian is:
Hope this helps.

Well, considering Van Til himself said, "There is no alternative but that of theonomy and autonomy," it stands to reason that all true Van Tilians are theonomists. You just have to flesh out what "theonomist" means. ;)

Well, considering Van Til himself said, "There is no alternative but that of theonomy and autonomy," it stands to reason that all true Van Tilians are theonomists. You just have to flesh out what "theonomist" means. ;)
I don't think he meant Bahnsen's theonomy .

It's the safer route for a true Vantillian would be to divide his apologetics, theology, and other matters up (only for the sake of analysis). A Vantillian can be theonomic, 2 kingdom, a Baptist, etc. So I would assume it would be better to analyze a certian aspect of his thought to be the particular standard in question?

So I would assume it would be better to analyze a certian aspect of his thought to be the particular standard in question?
I made my points at post # 2 because I think first and foremost we need to grasp the fullness of Van Til's apologetic - it is indeed founded in a very rich Reformed theology. I believe we should only analyse it after grasping that fullness. The danger is that we piecemeal Van Til's thought and then lose the big picture.

I made my points at post # 2 because I think first and foremost we need to grasp the fullness of Van Til's apologetic - it is indeed founded in a very rich Reformed theology. I believe we should only analyse it after grasping that fullness. The danger is that we piecemeal Van Til's thought and then lose the big picture.
Oh I completely agree. I guess my intuition is more middle of the road are closer but by piecemeal I meant probably as far as apologetical method Bahnsen. Theology Frame, Tipton, etc. Over all picture Oliphint, cultural awareness and engagement Edgar. But who would be the closest in all aspects? That's kind of my question.

middle of the road
In my country the law says we have to drive on the left-hand side of the road; in your country the law says you have to drive on the right-hand side of the road. The legal system of both our countries says it is wrong to drive in the middle of the road ;)
Yes I loved it. It kind of got me thinking about I heard it a long time ago.
Listen to any Van Til broadcast you can find on the Reformed Forum. Tremendous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back