Will We Have the Bible In Heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was just pondering the question; I'm hoping for some of your guys' thoughts. I mean personally, I would think we would have no further use, but it's a strange question to think about. Does the bible just cease to 'matter.' What do you think?

I guess in a way 1 Corinthians v 10 to 13 may help explain it. Not that the Bible is imperfect but the way we understand all to do with God and Salvation on our part is not. All will be revealed in Heaven. But as Gods Word endures forever and the Bible is Gods Word given to us, here, I don't believe it will never matter as such.

Of course we will have the Word there.

The prophet Isaiah tells us that "the Word of our God stands forever" (40:8), over against temporalities like mortal flesh, grass, and flowers. Peter reiterates for us that "the word of the Lord endures forever" (I Peter 1:25). One would anticipate our coming to understand there much that was obscure to us here.

Will we know all there? We will never comprehend God, because as finite creatures we'll never be capable of such. We will certainly have an understanding there that we lack here because of our sin and weakness, but we will never know with the depth and comprehension that only God Himself can.

Peace,
Alan

The prophet Isaiah tells us that "the Word of our God stands forever" (40:8), over against temporalities like mortal flesh, grass, and flowers. Peter reiterates for us that "the word of the Lord endures forever" (I Peter 1:25). One would anticipate our coming to understand there much that was obscure to us here.

Will we know all there? We will never comprehend God, because as finite creatures we'll never be capable of such. We will certainly have an understanding there that we lack here because of our sin and weakness, but we will never know with the depth and comprehension that only God Himself can.

Peace,
Alan

I love that you do not seperate His Word from His being. :)

Peace,
Alan

I love that you do not seperate His Word from His being. :)

Amen to that, Earl! And -- very helpful reply, Dr. Strange. Thank you.

I thought that Isaiah 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. indicates that we will have no recollection of our life and time here on this earth ? So, while we will always have The Word, the Bible as we have known it here will not be in our remembrance ?

Jimmy:

What this Isaiah passage precisely means, particularly in light of expressions in vv. 20 and 23 (references to dying, sinners, and child-bearing), presents us with a challenge: does it refer to the eternal state (which you seem to assume) or to something before that?

Apart from that question, however, let us, for argument's sake, suppose that v. 17 narrowly applies to the eternal state: do you believe that nothing of our lives here will be there (utterly renewed, of course) but that even we, in our renewed states, will be as those who have never lived life before and have no memory of it whatsoever? I think that the verse would indicate a newness in which the oldness is not pined for or missed, but recollected through glorified eyes and understanding.

Would it be me who is redeemed if I've had some sort of odd mind purging so that I don't have any sense or recollection of my life before heaven? How can I possibly be eternally grateful for that of which I have no memory? This is certainly contrary to the ethos of M'Cheyne's hymn, "When This Passing World is Done." I think there we will think rightly about our life here and be more grateful than ever for so great a salvation.

Peace,
Alan

Jimmy:

What this Isaiah passage precisely means, particularly in light of expressions in vv. 20 and 23 (references to dying, sinners, and child-bearing), presents us with a challenge: does it refer to the eternal state (which you seem to assume) or to something before that?

Apart from that question, however, let us, for argument's sake, suppose that v. 17 narrowly applies to the eternal state: do you believe that nothing of our lives here will be there (utterly renewed, of course) but that even we, in our renewed states, will be as those who have never lived life before and have no memory of it whatsoever? I think that the verse would indicate a newness in which the oldness is not pined for or missed, but recollected through glorified eyes and understanding.

Would it be me who is redeemed if I've had some sort of odd mind purging so that I don't have any sense or recollection of my life before heaven? How can I possibly be eternally grateful for that of which I have no memory? This is certainly contrary to the ethos of M'Cheyne's hymn, "When This Passing World is Done." I think there we will think rightly about our life here and be more grateful than ever for so great a salvation.

Peace,
Alan

Thank you Dr. Strange. I was assuming that to some extent but wasn't sure. The first time I read that passage I was saddened at the prospect that there might be no remembrance of things past and gone. Just as the first time I read 2Peter 3:10 realizing that all things on the earth would be burned up. I lamented the fact that great art and music would be gone forever. Now I know that all flesh is as grass, and the glory of man and the flower of grass. That which is to come will be so much more glorious that those baubles of man's vanity will not be missed ....... if I am interpreting this rightly.

Jimmy:

My concern was particularly to address your assumption that in the eternal state glorified saints will have no recollection whatsoever of their lives previous to the eternal state. I think that a number of biblical passages would teach otherwise: there we will know who we were here and rejoice evermore in the great deliverance of our loving Savior.

The question about broader continuity between this world and the next (shall the great art and music that we have here be there?) is another question altogether, over which persons of the same confession differ widely. I have my own opinion about that, but that is something that I don't believe the Scriptures permit us to be too dogmatic about.

Peace,
Alan

In my humble opinion we will not want a Bible in Heaven. We will be able to dialogue openly with the Author, in between praising Him.

In my humble opinion we will not want a Bible in Heaven. We will be able to dialogue openly with the Author, in between praising Him.

Of course we will dialogue with The Author as He reveals all we misread here on earth. :)

I agree that we shall have the Scriptures in the eternal state, for they are the eternal word of our God and King, that which we lived by and loved here in this initial phase of our lives, and which sustained us through all. He may even give me something very similar to the Bible I have always had (new editions, yes, but the exact same format); it may well be in English, even my AV – with any imperfections removed; I do believe we will keep our languages, yet able to understand perfectly all other languages (as "the nations of them which are saved" will be there, Rev 21:24), and they each have their unique beauties, as seen in their godly arts. Speaking of which, Alan, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the "broader continuity between this world and the next (shall the great art and music that we have here be there?)". I do think it will be so.

In the verse preceding Isaiah 65:17, it is written, "because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from mine eyes." And then he says, "For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind." I think what shall be forgotten will be the "former troubles", those things which cause us anguish and pain, as there shall be no pain or sorrow in the eternal state, at least not after God wipes all tears from our eyes (Rev 21:4).

We will surely remember (and perhaps somehow see) the exploits of the saints – and especially those of the King of saints – which will make the movies of this age pale in their profundity and glory. Our wretchedness will be forever done away with, even the painful remembrance of it. Though we shall still be our selves, renewed, glorified.

Originally Posted by Free Christian
Originally Posted by Tirian
Yes, but only in KJV
Hello Mathew, what do you mean by that?
I feel confident he meant it as a joke, which I found to be funny.

Indeed - a chance to laugh at ourselves :)

Jimmy:

My concern was particularly to address your assumption that in the eternal state glorified saints will have no recollection whatsoever of their lives previous to the eternal state. I think that a number of biblical passages would teach otherwise: there we will know who we were here and rejoice evermore in the great deliverance of our loving Savior.

The question about broader continuity between this world and the next (shall the great art and music that we have here be there?) is another question altogether, over which persons of the same confession differ widely. I have my own opinion about that, but that is something that I don't believe the Scriptures permit us to be too dogmatic about.

Peace,
Alan
We will have music from Earth. Only the Psalms though. :D

Maybe ... but some of the Bible is scaffolding for the works in progress... and the birthing of the Saints...
Psalm 119 ends in scaffolding language.... the book of Acts ends in scaffolding language...
I think we may have it but it might be looked at differently then

I think we will have remembrance of the Bible, seeing how it was fullfilled.
I also agree that we may even have enough of a tinge of remembrance of the state and pains we were in to appreciate salvation and to glorify God even though he wipes away the tears of the larger sting of pain of death and sorrow and pain and suffering which will be no more

I am not persuaded that the expression 'new heavens and new earth, has reference to the
eternal state and existence as to location. When it's use as a thematic strand in scripture
is followed without being prejudiced by the accepted norm of its meaning, then another
interpretation is more consistent. I readily admit that Dr Owen and Dr John Kennedy have
influenced my thinking on the matter.
Owen would hold that whenever the expression is used even about the ungodly nations, it does so
to show a change of dispensation and administration. Using Isa 65, which speaks of the Gospel age,
he interprets 2 peter3 and shows that it is the change from OT dispensation to the Gospel state and age.
Indeed, Rev Robert Gordon,1830, a Scots divine of the Church of Scotland writing on Is65:17 stated, ' a glorious change
under a figure of the gospel dispensation.'
Kennedy thought, to use it to established a transformation of physical elements was illusory. Also Rev Thomas Charles
of Bala (a considerable theologian) testified to his own conversion under Daniel Rowlands, 'o unforgettable day, when
I entered the new heavens and new earth wherein dwell etch righteousness.' Does not Paul write,"if any man be in
Christ, he is a new creature (creation), OLD things are passed way, behold all things are NEW"!
We will not need the Bible in heaven in the literal sense, for there the Word in human nature, the Godman,
retains His prophetic office, and we shall all be taught of God from the least to the greatest. Receiving from the lips
into which grace was poured, the wonderful words of life.

The new heavens and new earth have commenced in principle with Christ's resurrection and the new creation of His people. They partake of the "already......not yet" of the interadventual age in which we live.

The fact that the Sabbath has been moved from the end of the week to the beginning of the week shows that the new creation has already been in some sense inaugurated by our Lord by His resurrection and ascension.

I think that in glory we will understand God's works of providence (history), creation and redemption better, together with His Word, its meaning and how it was used by God's Spirit.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back