Will you wear ORANGE on Saturday??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my ancestors were Scots, but I consider the Irish kin. Both are Gaelic. I'll be happy to wear Orange.

Bill,
One source I looked at said that the Scots would wear orange on St. Pat's day to protest against the green wearing Romanists. I'm Scottish too so I'll defintely be wearing the orange!

Scott: But are you Roman Catholic?? Irish Protestants wear the ORANGE!!
Jim

Bill,
One source I looked at said that the Scots would wear orange on St. Pat's day to protest against the green wearing Romanists. I'm Scottish too so I'll defintely be wearing the orange!

Jim - do you happen to know what clan you descend from? Robertson clan here.

Orange? House of Orange? Oranje? Yes!

oranjevlag-thumb.gif

Okay, I cannot observe the day chosen to honor the birth of Christ on December 25th, but I can wear some orange outfits?

Bill,
We think we have roots in a couple of different clans. The Burns clan, the Gunn clann and maybe the Campbell clan. Apparently my family got around...:lol:
Jim

Absolutely. My mother was a Flynn, but, praise the Lord, she became Protestant when my oldest sister came along.

When I was a kid and wanted to wear green on March 17th, my dad would say "You can't wear green, you have to wear orange because we're Protestants!.. I think I was the only kid wearing orange and not wearing green! :wow:
Jim

Can I have an orange tree then, or is that pushing it...??

..On another subject:

I read that the terms redneck and hillbilly were from these orangemen? Any additional info?

Can I have an orange tree then, or is that pushing it...??

..On another subject:

I read that the terms redneck and hillbilly were from these orangemen? Any additional info?

"Hillbilly" is supposed to be derived from the popular "Billy Boy" as a nickname for protestants (presbyterians).

"Redneck" is often claimed to be a nickname for covenanters because they were supposed to wear red scarves as a sign that they had signed the SL&C.

Both are very plausable. I would like to know what the OED said before I was convinced 100%.

Okay watch for me in a nice day glo orange hunting cap.

My people are from Scotland but the interesting footnote in the bit of family history I have is they moved to Ireland and lived there for nearly 100 years and according to our records all we know is this statement regarding the move...
"no good ever came of it".
I find that hilarious economy of words.
After no good came of it an ancestor named Richard King moved to America.
He landed in Jersey and his offspring soon headed south to North Carolina and they waited till God made Texas.

Anyway, I am the type to wear orange just to aggravate. It is the only sport I am fit for anymore.

Awesome, I can buck the trend! I never knew about wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day.

Ironically, UTD's colors are green and orange, so apparently we support Evangelicals and Catholics Together :lol:

Anglo-Saxon here.

The only difference we noticed between Ireland and Scotland consisted in scraping something off the left foot, as opposed to the right; at the end of the day, we just knew we had been steppin' around all over the place.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just playin' kids, put down all those Gaelic cap-guns that are aimed at me.

:cheers:

To those considering wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day (especially to those who have never heard of the practice before), be aware that it is considered by many to be at least in bad taste if not extremely offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back