William M. Hetherington on popery and the British constitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... To whatsoever extent the allegiance due to the Pope constrains a Papist to hold principles and be ready to perform acts contrary to British law, to that extent he is not and cannot become a British citizen. And since it is necessarily possible that the Papal claim may in any special emergency be so put forth as to constrain its adherents to engage in acts of direct hostility against the Government, it must be possible that he may at any moment, become not only not a true British citizen, but a direct enemy. ...

For more, see William M. Hetherington on popery and the British constitution.

... To whatsoever extent the allegiance due to the Pope constrains a Papist to hold principles and be ready to perform acts contrary to British law, to that extent he is not and cannot become a British citizen. And since it is necessarily possible that the Papal claim may in any special emergency be so put forth as to constrain its adherents to engage in acts of direct hostility against the Government, it must be possible that he may at any moment, become not only not a true British citizen, but a direct enemy. ...

For more, see William M. Hetherington on popery and the British constitution.
Nice quote. I'm glad that issue was settled historicaly. I remember reading how everyone freaked over JFK being Catholic and the pope running the country but, as far as I know, thankfully that did not happen. In fact I don't think the RCC holds the power it used to, just my impression.

Nice quote. I'm glad that issue was settled historicaly. I remember reading how everyone freaked over JFK being Catholic and the pope running the country but, as far as I know, thankfully that did not happen. In fact I don't think the RCC holds the power it used to, just my impression.

I recall Carl Trueman arguing that when JFK was running he deliberately played down his RC credentials in order not to put Protestants off voting for him. Whereas when John Kerry was running, he deliberately played them up in order to attract Protestant evangelicals. If correct, that observation is a significant one.

I recall Carl Trueman arguing that when JFK was running he deliberately played down his RC credentials in order not to put Protestants off voting for him. Whereas when John Kerry was running, he deliberately played them up in order to attract Protestant evangelicals. If correct, that observation is a significant one.
For better or worse even with the separation of church religion plays a part in elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back