William McEwen on Noah’s sacrifice and the rainbow as types of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The holy Sire [Noah] is now gone forth at the appointed season; and beholding the dismal desolation, he offers an atoning sacrifice of every clean bird and beast, and the Lord smelled a savour of the rest. This naturally leads us to think of him who gave himself for us an offering and a sacrifice of a sweet smelling savour, — Eph. v. 2. So well pleased is God with Jesus Christ, that with him he establishes his covenant, and with all his seed, that they shall never come into condemnation.

Hear what himself declares by the mouth of the holy prophet Isaiah: “This is as the waters of Noah unto me: for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah shall no more go over the earth: so have I sworn that 1 would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee, O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted.” — Isa. liv. 9. See how the frowning clouds now smile with the glorious colours of the rainbow, the cheerful token of God’s covenant. It is a bow, but it has no arrow; and the face of it is turned away from us, in token of reconciliation.

Such is the glorious transformation of all your afflictions by Jesus Christ, O ye heirs of righteousness. They are clouds indeed, dark clouds, but they shall not drown, nay, they shall fructify your soul, and make you revive as the corn. What before was an indication of wrath, and a cause of fear, is now a token of love, and an encouragement of faith. A rainbow forever encompasses the throne of your God, — Rev. iv. 3. though from it should proceed lightning and thunders, and voices. Though, like that mighty angel in the Revelation, — Isa. x. 1. he should be clothed with a cloud in the dispensations of his providence, his sunny face will produce a rainbow round about his head. He is ever mindful of his covenant, and you need not to fear the terrors of his glory.

For the reference, see:

https://reformedcovenanter.wordpres...sacrifice-and-the-rainbow-as-types-of-Christ/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back