William Perkins and the worst of all Sabbath profanations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
William Perkins notes that among the most heinous violations of the fourth commandment is "An external observation of the Sabbath without the inward power of godliness." (Works, 6: 103) It is sobering to think that there may well be people in hell who never worked nor watched TV on a Sunday.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

In the PCI church in which I grew up, each week the minister would cite that verse at the end of one of the prayers. It always left a lasting impression on me. Particularly with its insistence on purity of heart, as opposed to mere outward morality.

In the PCI church in which I grew up, each week the minister would cite that verse at the end of one of the prayers. It always left a lasting impression on me. Particularly with its insistence on purity of heart, as opposed to mere outward morality.

Yes, our pastor prays this every week at the beginning of the service. I don't tire of hearing it knowing how quickly my heart is not right with God.

I pray Psalm 19:14 whenever I am called to preach. It has never felt rote to me. I heard a minister pray this once and it cut me to the heart. I resolved to apprehend it for myself if I were ever to preach and have since done so.

I am glad to hear that others have been affected similarly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back