William Wilberforce Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it ought to be pretty good. Hopefully they don't fill it with a bunch of revisionist blather.

Educate me, they seem to imply John Newton is in this movie, what was his relationship to Wilberforce? I thought Newton became an abolishionist immediately upon his conversion?

Last edited:
Educate me, they seem to imply John Newton is in this movie, what was his relationship to Wilberforce? I thought Newton became an abolishionist immediately upon his conversion?

If I remember correctly, Wilberforce went to Newton for advice and encouragment in the midst of his battle against the slave trade.

Just saw the movie. I liked it. It was pretty accurate historically. When they talked to Newton, I felt they downplayed Jesus' role, and I wish they would have spent more time on his conversion, but that is a personal opinion of mine; the movie was about Wilberforce, afterall. Newton did have this line, though: "I know two things, that's I'm a great sinner, and Christ is a great savior." Good stuff to hear in a movie theater.... well, in any theater.

I'm very much looking forward to it. I plan to see it next weekend. My wife isn't as keen on it. Not into history.

I saw it on Thursday and was pleased. Good movie. The movie gave Wilberforce credibility by focusing on his inner demons. The director avoided turning the film into an 18th century Polly Anna.

Very well done.

Saw it last Saturday with my father and we both enjoyed it very much. There were several times when I wept. Very well done. If you have not seen it please go.

Just saw the movie. I liked it. It was pretty accurate historically. When they talked to Newton, I felt they downplayed Jesus' role, and I wish they would have spent more time on his conversion, but that is a personal opinion of mine; the movie was about Wilberforce, afterall. Newton did have this line, though: "I know two things, that's I'm a great sinner, and Christ is a great savior." Good stuff to hear in a movie theater.... well, in any theater.

And is a line said by Albert Finney, who certainly provides enough incentive for me to see almost any film. :)

Waiting for the DVD. With my wife in College and the fact that my mom gave us a big plasma when we got our new house.........we really like watching movies here, and I make REALLY good popcorn!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back