Wine or Grape Juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampguy

Puritan Board Freshman
I don't see the big deal. Does it have to do with the amount of fermentation? I worked in the wine industry for several years and one thing you learn is all, I mean all, grape juice has a certain amount of alchol or fermentation. Fermentation begins when the grape begins to ripen and just keeps going unless checked. But even that Welch' Grape Juice has a trace of alcohol and fermentation. So what is the big deal about using one or the other or both?

Wine is what Christ instituted, and now commands us to partake in. Who are we to change it?

It is a slippery slope to allow grape juice instead of wine. What's next, Pizza and Pepsi?

:2cents:

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
Wine is what Christ instituted, and now commands us to partake in. Who are we to change it?

It is a slippery slope to allow grape juice instead of wine. What's next, Pizza and Pepsi?

:2cents:

It makes you feel warm inside.

Originally posted by joshua
Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel

:ditto:

My Baptist church uses Welch's® Signature Series Communion Juice from fresh 100% pure grape concentrate squozen by the good New England yankees at Welch's.
:bigsmile:

Too be serious for a change, sometimes I think the rigid formalism either way is bothersome... Christianity is not about pomp and ritualism. Wine can considered be wine at any stage of fermentation... Focus on the significance and purpose behind the communion ordinance and not the alcohol percentage per volume. I know a pastor that said he would use wine, but around in his area it might be a cause for someone grumbling and presumably people that don't mind wine are less likely to complain about not having wine. I gladly use wine and would if I were pastor.

In final appeal, what does the Apostle Paul say about what we eat and and drink, and the weaker brother? Enough said. This is just as relevant to communion as anything.

I understand on the weaker brother thing. However, recently that is being overdone. If you think about, we can normatize any cultural norm that way

Secondly, John Murray would not serve communion if the wine was not alcoholic, so high was his christology.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
I understand on the weaker brother thing. However, recently that is being overdone. If you think about, we can normatize any cultural norm that way

Secondly, John Murray would not serve communion if the wine was not alcoholic, so high was his christology.

Yeah, I find the fundamentalist legalism bothersome too. Well-- consider yourself fortunate you live in the deep south and don't have to put up with this. I have two fountainheads of dispensationalism showering us Virginians (in Virginia Beach and Lynchburg, cough-cough... Robertson and Falwell) with their non-alcoholic Christianity. Even outsiders have a way of influencing some Reformed churches here in Virginia -- and pastors opt for the reluctant compromise I just mentioned. But I still think rigidity either way is unneccessary.

By the way, what's the alcohol content of the water you Presbyterians baptize your babies with?
:lol:

[Edited on 9-4-2005 by Puritanhead]

But welch's (Baptist wine) does have a small amount of alcohol. So, the arguement must be the amount of alcohol? Or government standards which tell us what will be juice and what will be wine?

Originally posted by PuritanheadBy the way, what's the alcohol content of the water you Presbyterians baptize your babies with?
:lol:

We use pure grain alcohol...or was it moonshine?

Originally posted by Swampguy
But welch's (Baptist wine) does have a small amount of alcohol. So, the argument must be the amount of alcohol? Or government standards which tell us what will be juice and what will be wine?

That's exactly why it is irrelevant and we shouldn't dwell on it... I understand the aversion people have to fundamentalist views on alcohol, and the use of more fermented wine in Communion... but it's not important and I think insistence on a formalism for having fermented wine is superfluous. It is not as if Jesus gave us a set alcohol content per volume attendant to the ordinance.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Well-- consider yourself fortunate you live in the deep south and don't have to put up with this. I have two fountainheads of dispensationalism showering us Virginians (in Virginia Beach and Lynchburg, cough-cough... Robertson and Falwell) with their non-alcoholic Christianity.

Are you kidding? The temporance movement has had just as much ill effect, if not more, here in the South. Ugh!

Oh well, I just never met a Louisianan that shyed from 'shine. Maybe I operate from presumption, but I don't see how the evangelical subculture could be as cheesy and legalistic down there as it is in Virginia.

So...Merlot or Cabernet? I think ours is a 2003 Sutter Home Merlot.

Has anyone done research on grape varieties in Jerusalem to determine it?

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Where is it said grape juice such as Welch's has alcohol in it??

On the label, Sherlock:detective:! Just kidding. No offense. I love you. Sorry. I repent. :pray2:

I'm going to go look right now (I have a bottle of red grape juice in the fridge) and if it isn't on the label, I'm going to beat you up.

Fermentation takes place naturally without even adding yeast. There is naturally occuring yeast in the air. The ripening process requires a certain amount of fermentation. But the amount is usually less than 1% in grape juice.

Fermentation takes place naturally without even adding yeast. There is naturally occuring yeast in the air. The ripening process requires a certain amount of fermentation. But the amount is usually less than 1% in grape juice.

So if you drank gallons of grape juice you could get a buzz? cool.

Originally posted by crhoades

Folks, the above statement is an example of the reason why the fundamentalists have been driven to their insanity. :lol:

I was raised General Baptist of the 5 point remonstrant variety. Tee-totaling, dry county.

Interesting side note - the first time that my Dad ever tasted alcohol/wine was when they visited my church and had communion...

I was raised General Baptist of the 5 point remonstrant variety. Tee-totaling, dry county...

Me too...converted at Daisy Freewill Baptist Church in Daisy, Arkansas. Ahh, the Irony of God!

Ditto for my Pastor as well. Not the Daisy, Arkansas thing but the General Baptist thing...

Not the Daisy, Arkansas thing but the General Baptist thing...

So the General Baptists do not hold to "Once Saved Always Saved"?

Nope. And does that ever wreak havoc on one. Can't count the number of times I "re-dedicated" my life. It's as works as they come. Altar calls every Sunday...looking back and going back a half-dozen times or so makes me want to call it spiritual rape. Harsh, I know...but I have told my parents that I will never step foot inside their again save to preach a sermon on justification by grace alone through faith alone.

Oh yeah, they use grape juice and only observe the "memorial" once a quarter.

[Edited on 9-4-2005 by crhoades]

ROTFL!!! :lol::lol:

I can still remember my 9th grade church canoeing trip down part of the Delaware river. One evening, we sat around the campfire and celebrated the "Lord's Supper"... crackers and what they called 'bug juice' (probably Hawaiian punch). Hard to believe.

I take it they didn't preach from 1 Cor 10, eh? :D
No, they didn't preach from that part of the Bible, or any other part for that matter. Actually, I don't recall seeing any Bibles on the camping trip.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
That's exactly why it is irrelevant and we shouldn't dwell on it... I understand the aversion people have to fundamentalist views on alcohol, and the use of more fermented wine in Communion... but it's not important and I think insistence on a formalism for having fermented wine is superfluous. It is not as if Jesus gave us a set alcohol content per volume attendant to the ordinance.
I know some have strong convictions that it should be wine. I've at times wondered how important the wine vs grape juice issue is - the reason being, I was saved in 1976 and in all the time since (or before, for that matter) I've never attended a church that served wine at the Lord's supper.

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Where is it said grape juice such as Welch's has alcohol in it??

On the label, Sherlock:detective:! Just kidding. No offense. I love you. Sorry. I repent. :pray2:

It is not on the label. Is there any documentation about this on their site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back