Wipf & Stock on sale at Logos at $4.99! (Vos, Heppe, Torrance, Kline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Logos currently has select Wipf and Stock titles on sale for $4.99! Some worth noting are Vos' Biblical Theology, Heinrich Heppe's Reformed Dogmatics (a gold mine of quotes from Scholastic theologians that have never been translated), Meredith Kline (some of his stuff is worth reading even if you don't agree with him), Thomas Torrance (same remark as on Kline). Most already know how expensive Wipf & Stock titles are typical.

The link has been updated to reflect the added titles.
https://www.logos.com/search?sortBy...ockpublisherspotlightjanuary2020_Product Type

Last edited:
An excellent sale. I intend to get Mark D. Thompson's book on Martin Luther. He is the speaker at Theology Ireland this year. I attended a discussion group chaired by him on theological education and heard him speak at All Saints' a couple of years ago. In case you do not know who he is, Dr Thompson is the principal of Moore Theological College in Sydney.

Bruner's A Theology of the Holy Spirit is also a worthwhile purchase.

Do you know how long this sale is likely to last? I bought three books earlier (Mark Thompson's book on Martin Luther, Meredith Kline's Images of the Spirit, and William Lane Craig's The Cosmological Argument), but I would prefer to spread the purchases over a number of weeks if possible.

Do you know how long this sale is likely to last? I bought three books earlier (Mark Thompson's book on Martin Luther, Meredith Kline's Images of the Spirit, and William Lane Craig's The Cosmological Argument), but I would prefer to spread the purchases over a number of weeks if possible.
Kline's works came with my Logos package. The Craig title in on my list as well. I am about to purchase the two studies on Theosis in Christian theology. They will prove helpful for dialogues with EO. Donald McKim's book on Calvin should be good. They also added a Beza title.
The publisher spotlight sale usually lasts all month. I will email a friend at Logos and ask tomorrow.

Last edited:
I noticed that they have added Brad Littlejohn's Richard Hooker: A Companion to His Life and Work, which Jacob @BayouHuguenot recently reviewed. I have been trying to acquire an inexpensive, ebook version of that one for some time, so I just purchased it. Obviously, I have some serious reservations about Richard Hooker yet the book is probably worth reading.
That one does look interesting. I am reviewing a bunch of Davenant titles for work. Hooker is in the rotation.

I haven't read it, but what I have heard and known about McKim overall lead me to think it's not a certainty.
Notice I said "should be good." ;)
At $4.99, it isn't a huge loss. He is hit or miss. McKim has done a lot of work on Calvin.

Last edited:
Robert, I am looking forward to meet you when I take up residence at PRTS. The Logos discussions as well as hardcopy books.
How popular is Logos at PRTS if you know?

Robert, I am looking forward to meet you when I take up residence at PRTS. The Logos discussions as well as hardcopy books.
How popular is Logos at PRTS if you know?
I look forward to that, brother. When will you be starting at PRTS?
Many of the students use it. It will make your life much easier, especially with obtaining some of the required reading.

I look forward to that, brother. When will you be starting at PRTS?
Many of the students use it. It will make your life much easier, especially with acquiring some of the required reading.
2021 D.V. Doing distance for now.

That is great, I have a good collection of stuff on Logos but may seek to repurchase some stuff in hardcopy (Brakel!)

2021 D.V. Doing distance for now.

That is great, I have a good collection of stuff on Logos but may seek to repurchase some stuff in hardcopy (Brakel!)
That is great! My wife and I will have you over for dinner. We would also love to have you worship with us at our church plant.
Students get a generous discount on RHB publications.

Never heard of Heppe. Intrigued by the opportunity to access many Scholastics. Curious, what are Heppe's strengths and weaknesses?

Never heard of Heppe. Intrigued by the opportunity to access many Scholastics. Curious, what are Heppe's strengths and weaknesses?

The strength is that he gives you direct access to otherwise unobtainable Reformed sources.

The weakness is that he is alleged to have had his own agenda. I don't know what it was.

Have you previously read a Systematic Theology or any Scholastic theologians?

Read Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics last year, and he really seemed to be conversant with the Scholastics. Also have consulted Vos, Brakel, Puritan Theology (RHB) while working through the ST class at my church. Working through Turretin this year, as well as a few scholastics like Vermigli as well. Hoping to read Muller's PRRD next year or the year after.

Heppe would be someone who would be mostly a reference for the next 5-10 years until I could pick it up after completing other ST reading projects. But if the weaknesses outweigh the strengths, there is only so much time to read and I would pass on it.

Read Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics last year, and he really seemed to be conversant with the Scholastics. Also have consulted Vos, Brakel, Puritan Theology (RHB) while working through the ST class at my church. Working through Turretin this year, as well as a few scholastics like Vermigli as well. Hoping to read Muller's PRRD next year or the year after.

Heppe would be someone who would be mostly a reference for the next 5-10 years until I could pick it up after completing other ST reading projects. But if the weaknesses outweigh the strengths, there is only so much time to read and I would pass on it.

Very good. In my opinion, it is a no-brainer to purchase Heppe at $4.99. It would serve well as a reference tool.

Works by Jaroslav Pelikan, Everett Ferguson, and Daniel Block are well worth considering at this price.

The strength is that he gives you direct access to otherwise unobtainable Reformed sources.

The weakness is that he is alleged to have had his own agenda. I don't know what it was.

Speaking of agendas, we are certain that your agenda with this sale will be stocking up on all of those pentecostalist books. :D

There are several Michael Horton books too that may be of interest. It looks like many if not all of Kline's major works are included in the sale.

There are some DA Carson books, although at least one of those is available as a free PDF. (Several of his books are available in PDF format, although not as many as Piper.) There are also some Walter Kaiser books.

There are a good many Lesslie Newbigin books, which were key in the development of "missional" theology. It's not essential stuff for most of us. But it is interesting to see a man associated with the liberal World Council of Churches speaking prophetically about the challenges of Islam and secularism. He had seen the former up close in India and the latter struck him as he returned to the West later in life.

Chris, do you know which books or do you have any links?

It is up to 9 pages now so maybe more have been added. I’m on my phone now and can’t provide the links.

With regard to Carson, the one on Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility is probably the main one of interest. The anti-sabbatarian “From Sabbath to Lord’s Day” which he edited is there too but you can get that for free in PDF. (But I don’t think the pagination of the PDF that I have matches up exactly with the book, so its not suitable for those who need an official citation.) Some consider that to be the best book from that perspective. I think there is at least one other Carson title.

Horton’s book on Lordship Salvation is there, along with his “Made in America.”

Kaiser’s book on the uses of the OT in the New is included as well, along with a book on interpreting prophecy called “Back to the Future.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back