Wisdom Literature Paper: Topic Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy K.

Puritan Board Freshman
I have to write a 12-15 page paper on a specific background or theological topic from any of the three main OT wisdom books. Just wondering if anyone had some suggestions?

As an old guy whose both written and graded papers, my main recommendation would be well summed up from the movie The Patriot: aim small, miss small. Don't pick a "big" topic, the kind smart folks write books about; go small, but something of interest to you personally (and definitely NOT the area in which your teacher/prof has done a decade's research!). Become the class/school/province expert on that subject as best you can, then write about what you found as clearly and concisely as you are able. Unless your last name is Calvin, no teacher is expecting a treatise or something that breaks new theological ground--just that you can pick a topic of some interest and present your analysis of it as clearly as possible, with reasonable support from "the literature". Be fair and balanced. It sounds like your topic choice is wide open, so choose something you actually would like to learn a bit more about, and show that interest in your paper. Good Luck!

As an old guy whose both written and graded papers, my main recommendation would be well summed up from the movie The Patriot: aim small, miss small. Don't pick a "big" topic, the kind smart folks write books about; go small, but something of interest to you personally (and definitely NOT the area in which your teacher/prof has done a decade's research!). Become the class/school/province expert on that subject as best you can, then write about what you found as clearly and concisely as you are able. Unless your last name is Calvin, no teacher is expecting a treatise or something that breaks new theological ground--just that you can pick a topic of some interest and present your analysis of it as clearly as possible, with reasonable support from "the literature". Be fair and balanced. It sounds like your topic choice is wide open, so choose something you actually would like to learn a bit more about, and show that interest in your paper. Good Luck!

Thanks for the pointers and encouragement!

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

What does Ecclesiastes teach us about Christ?

Billy
SBC
Texas

Yeah, I was actually considering doing something like this. I recently listened to a podcast where Dr. John Fesko was speaking about his new book entitled Where Wisdom is Found: Christ in Ecclesiastes. The discussion stirred up some thoughts that had already been brewing. I'm really interested in finding Christ in the OT (Luke 24:27,44; John 5:39), so I may look into doing something related to Christ in the book of Job and/or Ecclesiastes. Any resource recommendations?

Any other suggestions for topics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back