Witnessing at Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

Puritan Board Freshman
I work at Papa John's in Clinton, Tennessee. The general manager of the store and I are on fairly good terms. He tends to be the kind of person that seems to genuinely like just about everyone. But, he's not a believer.

I have always tried to witness to people since I started following Jesus ten years ago and I have witnessed to most of the people that I work with. I try to not do it when things are busy but with my work, there are a lot of times where there's not much of anything going on and I have plenty of time to talk with people.

A few weeks ago, James, my manager essentially told me not to witness to people at work. What should I do? He's something of a nominal Christian I think. He doesn't go to church but he does like to read C.S. Lewis. He has suggested to me that he reads Lewis's works instead of the Bible because he gets more out of them.

Like I said, I have always tried to witness to people. But, the past few weeks, and I don't know if it's directly tied to what James said to me, but the past few weeks I haven't been witnessing as much as I used to. It's hard to explain to someone like that that you really believe that just about everyone in the store is going to go to hell if they don't get saved.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My advice would be to not make his life difficult. It could be as simple as some HR type warning him about creating a hostile work environment, or he could have gotten a complaint from a co-worker. The workplace is not a public forum, and I'd commend to your study the WLC on the subject:

Q. 127. What is the honor that inferiors owe to their superiors?
A. The honor which inferiors owe to their superiors is, all due reverence in heart, word, and behavior; prayer and thanksgiving for them; imitation of their virtues and graces; willing obedience to their lawful commands and counsels; due submission to their corrections; fidelity to, defense, and maintenance of their persons and authority, according to their several ranks, and the nature of their places; bearing with their infirmities, and covering them in love, that so they may be an honor to them and to their government.

Q. 128. What are the sins of inferiors against their superiors?
A. The sins of inferiors against their superiors are, all neglect of the duties required toward them; envying at, contempt of, and rebellion against their persons and places, in their lawful counsels, commands, and corrections; cursing, mocking, and all such refractory and scandalous carriage, as proves a shame and dishonor to them and their government.

Witness on your own time, not his.

Yeah, you're getting paid for your time, so you basically do what you're told. Edward, do you remember a couple decades ago when a soldier was told he couldn't read the Bible while he was on sentry duty? If I recall correctly he was whooped upside his head when he refused on religious grounds, and I thought at the time he needed to be whooped upside his head.

If the boss says to read P#$n, you say no. If the boss says to over charge customers you say no. But if the boss says don't wear sandals or don't smoke or don't wear a shirt supporting Che G. then you obey. He's paying you for your time. You have 16 other hours to witness.

But I don't see most of these people outside of work. I have heard people say that before that you shouldn't witness at work, you should witness on your own time. But what if you don't see those people outside of work? Some of them I don't even get a chance to see outside of work because they get there when I do and they leave before I do. I've always had a hard time seeing that it's wrong to witness at work. Especially if nothing else is going on. I talk to those people about sports, the weather, politics, and everything else at work. I feel bad about not talking about the most important thing, how Jesus has changed my life, when I talk to them about all of these other things that have little to no eternal significance. Yeah, you can witness with your lifestyle. But, they need to hear the Gospel. They won't be saved otherwise. Even if they're attracted to us because of our lifestyle, they still won't be saved without the Gospel.

I answer questions when asked but I don't go looking for opportunities. I work at pizza hutt so we both work in the same field my man

I answer questions when asked but I don't go looking for opportunities. I work at pizza hutt so we both work in the same field my man

But how often do people ask about your faith? I can't think of very many instances where people have asked about my faith. Do you take that same approach outside of work?

But how often do people ask about your faith? I can't think of very many instances where people have asked about my faith. Do you take that same approach outside of work?

In work I have shared that I go to church, that my church believes savation is faith alone, and many other different conversations that come up at work. The gospel is not a singular presentation. You present it in every day speech. Everyday bringing them into a fuller knowledge of what the gospel is. And if you see them after work, do share the gospel with them in its fullness. However doing it on the job especially at something like a pizza place is not the best place to do it.

Jared,

Do you have break-time that you could use for this opportunity? It doesn't have to be on the clock. Don't be afraid to lose your job to share the gospel.

Jared,

Do you have break-time that you could use for this opportunity? It doesn't have to be on the clock. Don't be afraid to lose your job to share the gospel.

We don't have breaks. Not technically. We can basically take a quick break whenever we get the chance but we don't clock out until the end of our shift.

Jared, this doesn't qualify as "advice," but unless your employer has put in your job description to witness to the Lord and to your faith, then if you do other than what he is paying you for, I think you are stealing time and energy from your appointed task, which is to make pizzas. And if your manager has told you to stop doing so, then your witness now is your submission to authority.

If you don't feel that you can do that, then you either must suffer the consequences of your actions (w/o feeling like a martyr), which may include losing your job, or you must find another job where you can do as you like in this area.

But if they are paying you to make pizzas, then give them 8 hours of pizza-making for 8 hours of pay, not 7.5 hours of pizza making and .5 hour of witnessing.

Ok, I guess that was advice. :um:

But what if you don't see those people outside of work? Some of them I don't even get a chance to see outside of work because they get there when I do and they leave before I do.

If you get fired for being an insubordinate employee, then you'll really never get to see any of those people. Why don't you invite them to grab a cup of coffee or a burger or something (your treat) and then you can share the good news of Christ on your own time without the conflict of interest.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Don't be afraid to lose your job to share the gospel.

I hope you don't have a wife or children that you are providing for. This isn't a case of "sacrificing for Jesus", but rather a matter of being wise and being a good employee.

Jared:

'Witnessing' in the workplace may certainly be a God-appointed means to the regeneration of souls, and thus much joy and peace; but it also has a high potential to poison a workplace's atmosphere for a lot of people, non-believers (such as one of your co-workers) and believers (imagine yourself having to work with a Jehovah's Witness or whatever all day long who just won't leave it alone). It can very easily hurt a business. Your boss doesn't want that, and you certainly don't want that, especially in this economy.

Your boss has advised you not to 'witness' (practice direct verbal evangelism) in the workplace, and he probably has practical reasons for this. I think you ought to submit to his authority and rectify this aspect of your behavior within the workplace. Limit your evangelistic activity there to glorifying God by way of being the best employee that you can be. Your boss and co-workers are no doubt well-aware that you are a Christian; stand out as one by the way that you do your job. This in itself can be the most powerful form of witness. It also has the benefit of being a form of witness which no employer in his right mind would have a problem with.

I work in a similar fashion but with opportunity may sneak in a good presentation of the gospel. To answer Jared, it does come up sometimes and I wish it where more often.

Don't be afraid to lose your job to share the gospel.

I must respectfully disagree with this advice, for reasons already presented. If you had said this:

"Don't be afraid to lose your job for being a Christian..."

I would agree.

God is sovereign over where and when your co-workers hear the Gospel. Why would He need one of His children to rebel (sin) against the valid authority of his employer over the content of workplace speech to achieve that end?

God is sovereign over where and when your co-workers hear the Gospel. Why would He need one of His children to rebel (sin) against the valid authority of his employer over the content of workplace speech to achieve that end?

To be clear to everyone, I really haven't "witnessed" that much since my manager talked to me about this.

But, some people might ask the following question:

How is complying with a manager's wishes for you to not witness at work different from the disciples in the book of Acts where they are strictly warned by the Jewish council not to speak in anymore in the name of Jesus and they say:

“We must obey God rather than men."
Acts 5:29 ESV

Or conversely, could it be said that someone trying to tell Christians not to witness at work if their employer doesn't want them to is like the Pharisees and their legalism? Would it be like telling paramedics that they have to obey all of the traffic laws?

I disagreed with Franklin Graham when he told Christians to not witness at the Beijing Olympics since the Chinese didn't want Christians to witness there. Since when did we become so politically correct and afraid of losing our jobs or our reputations for the sake of Christ.

I understand that it wouldn't be a good witness to waste time at work doing something other than work when you have something that you need to be doing no matter what it was. But, if you have some spare time like I do and people talk about a lot of different things anyway, then what harm is there is occasionally taking the time to tell someone about Christ?

How is complying with a manager's wishes for you to not witness at work different from the disciples in the book of Acts where they are strictly warned by the Jewish council not to speak in anymore in the name of Jesus
The apostles weren't on the council's payroll.

P.s. Employees talk about all sorts of things WHILE they work, and this isn't counted as stealing time. They talk sports in the midst of work. So, if asked and if appropriate, then there is no reason why the conversation should not also deviate towards what is central to your heart as well if it can be done in the midst of work and not as a competition with your work.

We are always to be ready to give an answer. That means ALL Christians. One doesn't need to be sent out as a pastor to answer a religious question poised by your co-workers and this is how the Gospel often spreads.

“We must obey God rather than men."
God hasn't commanded that you violate your agreement to trade your time for your employer's money. (As others have noted, however, if your employer demands something that is contrary to your obedience to God, it would be a different matter)

Jared:

I think the reaction you are getting from the PB here is because we are acquainted with poor employees that were lazy or annoying but always tried to represent Christ.

I worked beside one such person and it had the effect of making Christ look bad. He would have done better to only answer questions if asked and focus more on his job, but instead he hounded his employees who, endured him politely at first, and then hardened to him (and probably the Gospel) and began to respond with objections just to try to get him to shut up.

It effectively shut down all non-confrontational religious talk on the floor. Whereas before, people asked me their questions and I answered when there was time and left it at that; this guy rolls in and does a drive-by shot-gun "witnessing" that soured folks on even bringing up the subject. On one occasion I had to say, "Look, I don't believe the same as that guy."

The great commission is not an excuse for individual Christians to do anything they want in the name of seeking the Lost. While certainly the NT has strong evidence of lay Christians of testifying to the name of Christ and souls being saved that way, it is not a sin for the average Christian to not share the Gospel verbally with all those who you are able to.

When I was much younger (17-19) I would witness daily at my High School and sometimes open air preach. I have no regrets. I saw fruit and converts and God used it to teach me more about what it truely means to love my neighbour, but I was theologically ignorant (more so than now at least) and I didn't have the maturity that comes with life experience. I simply copied Ray Comfort and other techniques. Again, no regrets, but in my mind I bore witness to Christ, at the same time, I offended many people. And when I fell in to sin publically ( I got caught drinking underage for my first time), the name of Christ was dragged through the mud because of that. That was 5 years ago I think? Anyways, My suggestion would be to not freak out about their souls, make friends with the actual persons and hang out with them outside of work. The problem with fundamentalist evangelism is that it turns the Gospel into a product and the sinner into a customer and the christian into a salesman. It is better to build friendships and live Christianly in front of them and truely learn to love people for who they are as individuals.

Yeah, you can witness with your lifestyle. But, they need to hear the Gospel. They won't be saved otherwise.

What you said earlier is what made many of us wonder. God doesn't need you.

It is true that in one sense He doesn't need me. His missions enterprise will go forward whether I cooperate or not. No purpose of His can be thwarted. But, I think the life of William Carey shows that we can fall into an equal and opposite error; namely not recognizing our personal responsibility in the matter. There were those who told him "If God wants to save the heathen in India, He will do it without your help or mine."

There seems to be a common misperception that we must continually share the gospel until one is finally "saved." In fact, I have heard it said that one must hear the gospel 86 times before he will accept Christ (on average). I call hogwash! After 86 times, one may reach the point of thinking, "I'll say your stupid little prayer if you'll leave me alone." But few will truly be saved.
If God is sovereign, then one must only hear the gospel message once in order to be saved. It sounds to me like you were driving everyone at work crazy by sharing the gospel with them over and over again rather than trusting the Holy Spirit to work in their lives. Once you've shared the gospel, just live the life and let God work from there.
In fact, in my profession, I have had countless number of clients who have cussed in fronbt of me and quickly apologized, even though I had never felt led to share the gospel with them. They picked up on christianity through observing my conduct. I have also had clients who have asked me about the gospel or for guidance when going through hard times because they saw, through my lifestyle that I was a Christian. It's all about following God's leading and trusting in his sovereignty.

Yeah, you can witness with your lifestyle. But, they need to hear the Gospel. They won't be saved otherwise.

Unless God writes the Gospel across the sky or sends angels or gives us revelatory dreams, then humans are the means by which the Gospel will be spread. So, in a sense, the Lord needs us. They won't be saved unless God ordains that someone go to them.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

There seems to be a common misperception that we must continually share the gospel until one is finally "saved." In fact, I have heard it said that one must hear the gospel 86 times before he will accept Christ (on average).

Of course this is no excuse to be tight-lipped about the Gospel.

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

It is true that in one sense He doesn't need me. His missions enterprise will go forward whether I cooperate or not. No purpose of His can be thwarted. But, I think the life of William Carey shows that we can fall into an equal and opposite error; namely not recognizing our personal responsibility in the matter. There were those who told him "If God wants to save the heathen in India, He will do it without your help or mine."

Your zeal is commendable! Praise God for your holy desires.

God choose to use secondary means. That exact argument is what the hyper calvinsits used to go against the great missionary movement of the 19th century.

God DOESN"T need us. He does however bless us with the privelege of being of use to Him in the harvest. The apostles were called and commanded to preach Christ, so the edict of the Sanhedrin was an unlawful command. You are not commanded to preach Christ. You are commanded to glorify Him in all your several callings. At the pizza joint that would entail working to the best of your ability to serve customers an excellent product and to submit to the authority of those set over you insofar as what they demand of you is lawful. Telling you to refrain from certain subjects in conversation so as to avoid workplace controversy is not an unlawful demand, and thus your means of glorifying your Lord, and thereby displaying the gospel, is to comply cheerfully. Usurpation is sin, whether by disobeying a lawful demand of an employer or assuming Church Offices we are not ordained unto. Declaring the gospel at the pizza joint during work time after being ordered not to would constitute both. Until you are called and commanded to preach the gospel, the demand is lawful.

But what if you don't see those people outside of work? Some of them I don't even get a chance to see outside of work because they get there when I do and they leave before I do.

If you get fired for being an insubordinate employee, then you'll really never get to see any of those people. Why don't you invite them to grab a cup of coffee or a burger or something (your treat) and then you can share the good news of Christ on your own time without the conflict of interest.

This. It is a far more effective witness to invite your non-believing co-workers to hang out outside of work and then get to share the Gospel in a more personal setting anyway. When I "witness" at work, it only comes up when someone asks me a question. For me to be slicing deli meat while simultaneously preaching the Gospel would mean that my attention to both would be lacking and I would not do a good job at either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back