Witsius and Turretin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Thanks to a gift from my Field-Education church today I was able to purchase all 3-Volumes of Turretin's Institutes of Elenctic Theology and Witsius's Economy of the Covenants Between God and Man from Westminster Seminary's Bookstore.

Look forward to some heavy reading this summer between School Terms.

Economy.jpg
Systematic-Theology%20Turretin.jpg

Thanks to a gift from my Field-Education church today I was able to purchase all 3-Volumes of Turretin's Institutes of Elenctic Theology and Witsius's Economy of the Covenants Between God and Man from Westminster Seminary's Bookstore.
Good stuff...I think. Its pretty bad when I don't even understand the titles of some of the things you guys read.

Elenctic = ??

:up: Enjoy!

Good stuff...I think. Its pretty bad when I don't even understand the titles of some of the things you guys read.

Elenctic = ??

Elenctic - definition of Elenctic by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Elenctic

E`lenc´tic
a. 1. (Logic) Serving to refute; refutative; - applied to indirect modes of proof, and opposed to deictic.

Deictic
deic·tic (dktk)
adj.
1. Logic Directly proving by argument.

Ben:

I enjoyed Witsius. I would also recommend for future reading by him, his work two volume work on the Apostles' Creed. It is outstanding!

Elenctic

E`lenc´tic
a. 1. (Logic) Serving to refute; refutative; - applied to indirect modes of proof, and opposed to deictic.

Deictic
deic·tic (dktk)
adj.
Thanks.

I've definitely gotta work on improving my vocabulary.

<wondering>
Who makes up these words, anyway?
</wondering>

Elenctic

E`lenc´tic

Deictic
deic·tic (dktk)
adj.
Thanks.

<wondering>
</wondering>

I believe both these words come from Lingua Latina (the Latin language).

Elenctic

E`lenc´tic

Deictic
deic·tic (dktk)
adj.
Thanks.

<wondering>
</wondering>

That is how you become famous in academia I think. Make up a word and write a 500 page book about your word. :lol:

<wondering>
</wondering>

It comes from the word "elench" and "elenchus" (from the Greek word "élekhos") and is otherwise known as the "Method of Elenchus" or "Socratic Method."

Elench - definition of Elench by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
elenchus - definition of elenchus by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Socratic method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe both these words come from Lingua Latina (the Latin language).

I stand corrected!:book2:

It might also be rendered: "Polemical" theology, if you get the nuance of polemical correctly.

Economy.jpg
Systematic-Theology%20Turretin.jpg

Or you could just wait for the movies. Spielberg's directing, I think...:lol:

I'll trade you a used paperback of the Bhagavad-Gita for the Turretin.

Well, I think I picked it up a thrift store in Texas when I was 14, and I read it once since then, so I don't honestly know its provenance. If it will sweeten the deal I can dig out my (also paperback) copy of The Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta --the only commentary on Matthew 5-7 you'll ever need.

A college professor I once had said that good communication should
Eschew Obfuscation. :lol:
BTW, Both sets are great reads! I love Turretin's thoroughness

I received Turretin in the mail today and Witsius is being sent from the publisher.

Cannot wait to break into Turretin!!! :graduate::banana:

I was curious about your thoughts on Turretin since you have had some time since this thread was made. Instead of creating a new thread i thought i would enter an existing one and ask!

Since you brought up Witsius i would be curious as to your thoughts on that aswell. Only because i have been researching on that particular book these last days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back