Wodrow's Analecta

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
In initiating this new sub forum to Library, I have a very nice acquisition to report. I just purchased a set of Wodrow’s Analecta. I passed this up once from David Lachman in 1986, and another opportunity to buy a set in 1991. I haven’t seen a set offered since. Description from A List of Theological Books for Sale. David C. Lachman. Spring 1986.
155. Wodrow, Robert. Analecta: or, Materials for a History of Remarkable Providences; mostly relating to Scotch Ministers and Christians. Edinburgh: for the Maitland Club, 1842. 4 volumes, large 4to, original paper coverboards, later cloth spines … printed on handmade club paper. (10) 375; (1) 393; (9) 524; xxv, 367pp. A limited edition of 100 sets. The only edition of this fascinating storehouse of information relating to the church in Scotland from the Restoration to about 1730. It was compiled, not for publication, but as an indiscriminate record of the information which came his way (and which he was able to seek out), for his own use.
AMS Press may have done a reprint but seems, if so, it is as rare as the original as I’ve never seen one (my set of Knox's work edited by Laing is an AMS reprint). The set I picked up is said to be bound in quarter leather which may or may not be period. The set David offered in 1991 was in period ½ morocco, so it may be Maitland club members did their own rebinds of the original cloth? Not sure. The handmade paper sounds interesting. Paper had been machine made for several decades by this time (1842). Large 4tos can be dictionary size volumes; so these volumes could be on the large size. Descriptions I’ve seen indicate nearly 11x9 inches for the size. I'll post a pic when the volumes come in, D.V.

Set came today; so here's a picture.
analecta.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back