Wolphangus Musculus

Status
Not open for further replies.

amishrockstar

Puritan Board Freshman
So, I was reading through Calvin's commentary --the author's preface to the Psalms (pg. xxxv)-- and I noticed that he mentions a guy by the name of Wolphangus Musculus. Has anyone heard of him? I tried to google the name, but only got references to Calvin's commentaries.
Thanks,
Matthew

Matthew, Musculus was a very influential and important Reformed theologian in the mid-16th century: his commentaries were published extensively, and his loci communes was also quite influential. He was much more scholastically minded than Calvin, and was able to help the early codifications of Reformed theology employ Aristotelian logic to the interpretation of scripture.

I have not read enough of his exegetical work to give any super-insightful commentary, other than to say that when compared and contrasted with the exegetical works of other Reformed theologians of the period, they are able to give a good glimpse into the way in which early Reformed teachers were trying to get a handle on theological and exegetical method. His Loci (a pretty massive work!) are one of the finest dogmatic projects of their day and continually provide a source of fine insight.

If you would like to read a good analysis of Musculus' role and importance as an exegete, I would recommend Craig Farmer's work on Musculus' commentary on John.

Last edited:
Matthew, Musculus was a very influential and important Reformed theologian in the mid-16th century: his commentaries were published extensively, and his loci communes was also quite influential. He was much more scholastically minded than Calvin, and was able to help the early codifications of Reformed theology employ Aristotelian logic to the interpretation of scripture.

:wow: Now where did you find that out? Or did you just know that off hand? :eek:

Paul knows almost everything off hand. But he won't tell you that unless he comes to your house for dinner. And even then he won't tell you except by accident, by being so terribly well informed.

well I had never heard of the guy until now, but maybe I can convince my wife to name one of our sons after him. Wolphangus Musculus Silva has a nice ring to it, right?

Hey, "thanks" (everyone) for the great answers.
Now I have a lot more to read on the guy.
I wonder why his name isn't google-a-ble.
(only Calvin's commentaries come up)

Thanks again,
Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back