Womanists

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Does anyone remember the priest in The Princess Bride ("Mawage...")? If so, this will resonate.

I was reading about Willem Hessels van Est (Estius), a Flemish Catholic Biblical commentator, who died in 1613. Wikipedia's article about him notes that

It is evident from the commentaries of Est that he was much influenced on questions of divine grace and free will by the teaching of his old professor, Baius; and on these points he has to be read with some caution.

Willem Hessels van Est - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Willem Hessels van Est
Michael Baius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Baianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought that was an interesting statement and found that it was copied directly from the Catholic Encyclopedia's article on Estius, which is the context for the warning.

Reading further though, I found a funny line in the Catholic Encyclopedia article:

Horne, a Protestant writer (Introd., London, 1834, II, 293), says that it is "a most valuable work, which Womanists and Protestants alike concur to recommend as an excellent critical help to the exposition of the Apostolic Epistles.["]

Thomas Horne wrote the word "Romanists" but the Catholic Encyclopedia somehow changed it to "Womanists." :lol:

Oops.

That was a fun movie, wasn't it?

Incidentally, I just read some Estius the day before yesterday. Convenient timing.

-----Added 12/3/2008 at 09:15:53 EST-----

Out of curiosity, for what reason were you reading about Estius? That's just not a name I hear most people mention.

-----Added 12/3/2008 at 09:15:53 EST-----

Out of curiosity, for what reason were you reading about Estius? That's just not a name I hear most people mention.

I was reading about Estius in connection with my editing of Matthew Poole's Synopsis. He is one of the commentators that Poole cites therein.

Have been a proud womanist for many years having been born to a woman at a very young age. When I turned 21 I married my wife who also happens to be a woman. Womanism has worked out very well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back