Women as Elders or Missionaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thran

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings Puritanboard,

The previous week I had a conversation with a friend over the role of women in the Church. He is a humanist and holds to egalitarianism. Firstly he asked about why the ministry should be restricted from 'capable' women who feel they want to serve in this way. Secondly, he asked about women being on the mission, inferring that qualifies as women teaching men in the Church.

I began by saying this stems from how man and woman are made, with distinct yet complimentary roles intended to serve the home and Church. I quoted the verse from I Timothy 2v12 (ESV): "I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man." I said that while we do have examples of women correcting others in the scriptures, the day to day leadership and teaching in the Church is intended for men by God's design. Then I said that a Christian woman will be happy to obey the voice of God in the scriptures, she will not want to do what is forbidden so this is not a case of excluding her. I perhaps should have added that since we are created by God for His glory, we will only find true contentment in obeying his will, that applies to both man and woman.

He then asked why God has made it so? I replied that it was God's design and intention in creation to make man and women His image bearers with their respective strengths, to rely on and serve each other in the family and in the church. So thus they are suited for certain roles. This can be evidenced in the psychological and physiological differences we are designed with.

For his second query on women missionaries, I said we have cases of women in scripture evangelising/bringing words from God to many (such as Acts 21v9) so such could be technically permitted, but if a church were to be founded we would need male elders. Paul appointed qualified men in each church he planted. Later I thought of this next point, I will add it the next time. Perhaps it is better for missionary families of husband and wife rather than lone women. Not least of all for safety, but also for mutual comfort and avoidance of said authority/leadership problem.

I am not sure whether I persuaded him or not, but this ended that conversation. I think for him the underlying problem is hearing God in scripture since he went on to say 'we know better now.' He's a good friend, very sharp but has come from complete atheism to being somewhat open to Christianity. Please pray that God will continue drawing him if that is what this means. These kinds of questions often come up in conversation and are as useful for finding holes in my thinking if anything! With that said, if anyone would like to add something or comment on how I did, I would be grateful.

I think you answered well. I might have went more in-depth that God has defined how He wants His church to be ran in His word, ergo for positions of office in the church it is confined strictly to males. Also, I would make the distinction between elders and missionaries. Missionaries are not positions of church office, but a calling of the Holy Spirit in fulfilling The Great Commission. Also, when your friend said "we know better now", I would have gently challenged him and asked what his ultimately authority was. From a Biblical perspective, there is no question what it says.

I started thinking about this recently while observing our elders at the front of our church. Why did I not feel somehow diminished by the arrangement? I concluded the answer rests in the that we are absolutely equal before the throne of God -- free to approach, worship, pray -- all in the merit of Christ. We have different roles in the church and family. What does it matter? Meh.

It made me wonder if this becomes an issue if one believes, consciously or not, that the leadership in a church exercizes a priestly function -- that they come between us and God in more than an under-shepherding way? Then a woman's place would be diminished -- as was the place of the foreigner, unclean, etc. in the old covenant. Our equality comes in Christ, not in the roles assigned to us.

The New Testament strongly affirms women missionaries for Paul calls several women "fellow-laborers" or sungergois in the Gospel. Not all missionaries need be ordained males, for some are sent to help such as John Mark. There are many roles to be filled on a church-planting team without preaching or overseeing the sacraments. Historically, women have made up about 63% of the Protestant missionary workforce.

Missionary is a slippery term. It's probably best to stick to Biblical terminology.

All Biblical church offices are limited to men. If the work in question is not the work of a church officer, then it is okay for a woman to do it.

However, we ought to be very careful what we deem to be lawful work for those who are not officers of the church. In the Scriptures (not to mention the Reformed tradition), Evangelists are church officers--they are extraordinary officers for times in which the church is in an unsettled (and disestablished) state. Furthermore, note the words of Christ's commission: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." This is the ministry of the word (teaching) and sacraments (baptizing).

Thanks for the replies.

Missionary is a slippery term. It's probably best to stick to Biblical terminology.

All Biblical church offices are limited to men. If the work in question is not the work of a church officer, then it is okay for a woman to do it.

However, we ought to be very careful what we deem to be lawful work for those who are not officers of the church. In the Scriptures (not to mention the Reformed tradition), Evangelists are church officers--they are extraordinary officers for times in which the church is in an unsettled (and disestablished) state. Furthermore, note the words of Christ's commission: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." This is the ministry of the word (teaching) and sacraments (baptizing).

This was the grey area in my mind when the question was discussed - when we are working far from settled churches, if we send evangelists tasked with spreading the gospel, then surely they ought to be ordained officers of the church? My erstwhile congregation had sent out/supported a she 'missionary' and I am not sure if she held any office. She is a physician and offered much medical help in a small African nation, obviously that is commendable, but I can't remember if she was tasked with anything more.

This should make for further study for me, the more I think on this matter it really is tied in with much other doctrine. God's intentions in his design of man and His authority to command His church, hardly light matters!

Q. 158. By whom is the Word of God to be preached?

A. The Word of God is to be preached only by such as are sufficiently gifted,[1015] and also duly approved and called to that office. (Emphasis mine)

Being in a foreign country does not provide a loophole to the ordinary biblical qualifications for ministry of Word and sacrament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back