Women Street Preachers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandPhoenix

Puritan Board Freshman
I've been discussing women street preachers with a friend. I feel awfully uncomfortable about it. She says it's the bee's knees. Your thoughts?

That's a bit like asking if I like my fried liver to come with horseradish. I really don't have much of a taste for either.

We don't let women open-air preach whenever our church is out doing "street" evangelism (which is every weekend)

I've been discussing women street preachers with a friend. I feel awfully uncomfortable about it. She says it's the bee's knees. Your thoughts?

My "thoughts" are that woman ought to be able to do anything they wish ... pastors, elders, etc. But I am a terrible sinner whose got things wrong so many times before. Consequently what I - or anyone - thinks is insignificant. "What does God say?" is all that matters. And He says "No" to the whole thing.

All people who do street evangelism are not preachers. A woman is able to pass out tracts and engage someone in spiritual conversations. This is not usurping ecclesiastical authority.

All people who do street evangelism are not preachers. A woman is able to pass out tracts and engage someone in spiritual conversations. This is not usurping ecclesiastical authority.

Agreed. Women are helpful in witnessing to other women. I don't think they should be engaged in open air preaching. But I do think there is a definite place for women to share the gospel with other women. I have found when doing street evangelism that I do not engage a lightly clad woman the same way that I engage a man on the street. There seem to be a barrier there for me. Perhaps it's psychological. For this reason I have found it useful to have a woman. However, I haven’t found many who are interested in street evangelism. My wife has gone out with me twice, but that isn't very realistic, since we have four children at home she has to care for. I think women are especially useful in situations like pregnancy clinics and battered women shelters. Someone needs to be there to give a true gospel presentation. And sometimes it's just not the best place for a man.

Agreed. Women are helpful in witnessing to other women. I don't think they should be engaged in open air preaching. But I do think there is a definite place for women to share the gospel with other women. I have found when doing street evangelism that I do not engage a lightly clad woman the same way that I engage a man on the street. There seem to be a barrier there for me. Perhaps it's psychological. For this reason I have found it useful to have a woman. However, I haven’t found many who are interested in street evangelism. My wife has gone out with me twice, but that isn't very realistic, since we have four children at home she has to care for. I think women are especially useful in situations like pregnancy clinics and battered women shelters. Someone needs to be there to give a true gospel presentation. And sometimes it's just not the best place for a man.

Women are also virtually necessary when engaging women in other cultures--a Yemeni Muslim woman (generally) is not going to even acknowledge a man that isn't her relative. But women of all cultures love to gather and talk where there are children, and that opens a door.

Could one of you define a street preacher? I've encountered people doing street evangelism, but I can't say that I've witnessed someone preaching a sermon on the street.

Agreed - I think it is essential that we all share our faith, men women, children.

I think we need to be careful here. Obviously the scriptures forbid women having authority in the church, or speaking in the weekly assembly. However, I cannot think of a single scripture that would forbid women from announcing the gospel on the street corner. I personally (and I believe most reformed types would agree with me) believe that the scriptures teach that God is the same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The pattern in the Old Testament is male leadership and male priesthood, but in regards to public proclamation, prophets, judges, etc., there were indeed females called to do such.

At the risk of being the resident chauvinist, isn't preaching a form of teaching? And if done on the street, aren't there going to be men hearing? If so, what do you do with this scripture?:
1Ti 2:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.

At the risk of being the resident chauvinist, isn't preaching a form of teaching? And if done on the street, aren't there going to be men hearing? If so, what do you do with this scripture?:
1Ti 2:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.

Context. Also, comparison with Paul's other writings, and an examination of what Paul actually allowed and even praised. The context of 1 Timothy 2, is in the Church. Likewise, in 1 Corinthians...

1Co 14:33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints,
1Co 14:34 the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says.

Clearly teaching and preaching outside the Church is not forbidden. Priscilla and Aquila instructed Apollos, at their home (Acts 18:26), and Eunice was praised for the Christian faith she imparted to her son Timothy.

Also, woman are given specific instruction for giving prophesy (1 Corinthians 11:5), an absolutely insane thing if it were completely forbidden.

Context. Also, comparison with Paul's other writings, and an examination of what Paul actually allowed and even praised. The context of 1 Timothy 2, is in the Church. Likewise, in 1 Corinthians... 1Co 14:33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints, 1Co 14:34 the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says.
This, as you accentuated, refers to behavior in Church. There is no such implication attached to the 1 Timothy verse.
Clearly teaching and preaching outside the Church is not forbidden. Priscilla and Aquila instructed Apollos, at their home (Acts 18:26), and Eunice was praised for the Christian faith she imparted to her son Timothy.
Act 18:26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him and explained to him the way of God more accurately.
You can't derive a doctrine of female instruction to males from this one verse. It does not state plainly that Priscilla did the instructing.

Eunice was carrying out the duty of a mother to her son, not teaching a man.
Also, woman are given specific instruction for giving prophesy (1 Corinthians 11:5), an absolutely insane thing if it were completely forbidden.
Unless you accept women in pulpits, this verse must obviously be qualified by other pertinent scripture. The prophesying referred to must mean only that given to other women or to children.

My understanding of the biblical principles would mirror their context in church.

Scripture explicitly and in implicitly in the creation order addresses this.

1) Preaching, teaching intended to mixed group audiences is qualified to men, regardless of whether "in the church building" or "open air"
2) Speaking to intended audiences of women only or young children could be done if she does not represent herself as an officer and respects any authority of the church. There may some difficulties in this in practice
3) Informal encounter style witnessing, teaching I don't think is prohibited

So a woman may share her faith in conversation with a female or child only? She is then forbidden from declaring the gospel if there is an unbelieving man within hearing? :scratch: (I understand the logic, I just wonder at the application).

Context. Also, comparison with Paul's other writings, and an examination of what Paul actually allowed and even praised. The context of 1 Timothy 2, is in the Church. Likewise, in 1 Corinthians... 1Co 14:33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints, 1Co 14:34 the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says.
This, as you accentuated, refers to behavior in Church. There is no such implication attached to the 1 Timothy verse.

Oh, but there is. This cannot be a command by Paul for the women to remain silent OUTSIDE the church during instruction, since Paul commands in 1 Corinthians that women should speak, and ask questions, when not at church. Thus, for Paul to be saying that women should be silent everywhere, is an impossibility. Do you honestly think Paul is calling on the women to take a vow of silence here, and never to speak again? In the same sentence, he tells them to be silent; so either this is in the context of the church, or else women are not ever allowed to talk, or ask questions.

Act 18:26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him and explained to him the way of God more accurately.
You can't derive a doctrine of female instruction to males from this one verse. It does not state plainly that Priscilla did the instructing.
Sure you can. The house would not be named after the woman, unless there was no male.

Eunice was carrying out the duty of a mother to her son, not teaching a man.
It is still instruction. The precedent is, that women are allowed to teach at certain times. One such, would be when there were just women and children. I am establishing a second time; when not in the church.

Unless you accept women in pulpits, this verse must obviously be qualified by other pertinent scripture. The prophesying referred to must mean only that given to other women or to children.
[/quote]

First, prophesying is not just instruction. Prophesying is to "stand before"; it is preaching. Second, "other pertinent scripture" show that the qualifier is that women are not allowed to teach and preach in the Church. Not that they are not allowed to teach and preach to men anywhere. Your notion of this, would actually forbid me having theological discussions with my wife, since she has often instructed me in the scriptures during such conversations.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Preaching the Gospel, Carrying out the Great Commission, Doing the Work of the Ministry of Reconciliation is for ministers. Ergo, a woman has just as much authorization to preach on the street as an uncommissioned man (i.e. none). It is every Christian's duty to be salt and light, to be excellent in their lawful callings, to show kindness one to another and to their neighbors, always to be ready to give a defense for the hope they have within them (i.e. "share their faith"), to testify what Christ has done for them. But none of these equals "Preaching/Declaring/Proclaiming the Gospel," as such ministry of reconciliation belongs to ministers. It is not every Christian's duty to be Evangelists, to seek to fulfill the Great Commission, to Baptize, etc. so on, so forth.

But I'll not beat a dead horse. If everyone's a minister, no one's a minister.The Lord has been please to have men commissioned for the ministry and to place that burden on those who are not called thereunto is too much.

I definitely disagree with this. It is every Christians responsibility to evangelize. Nowhere in scripture do we see Paul forbidding anyone from preaching the gospel; and in fact, we have Jesus doing the opposite; forbidding anyone from forbidding.

I of course agree that there are specially called men. And what are they to do? Why, equip the saints for the work of the ministry!(Ephesians 4:12)

As Christians we are instructed "Let all things be done decently and in order" 1 Corinthians 14v40. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a woman witnessing for Christ on a one-to-one situation or testifying to friends or associates - this we would certainly encourage. However street preaching in the public arena should always be done under the oversight of one's local church session, who could ratify for the preaching gifts and doctrinal soundness of the men that would take part. The women could readily be involved in tract distribution and be on hand to speak to those those that might show an interest in the message.

There is nothing worse that hearing men (or even women for that matter) taking part in street preaching off their own back when they are clearly neither called nor gifted for the work - in fact they often bring shame and derision to the Gospel message. Being the "bees knees" is one thing in the eyes of men - it could very easily be the opposite in the eyes of God, who has in this particular instance clearly forbidden such "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, and then Eve." 1 Timothy 2v12,13.

So a woman may share her faith in conversation with a female or child only? She is then forbidden from declaring the gospel if there is an unbelieving man within hearing? :scratch: (I understand the logic, I just wonder at the application).

Giving reason for the hope that lies within oneself is one thing - preaching to passers-by on the street corner is a horse of a different color.

To me, one of the biggest problems with street preachers is not being sent. A person should be gifted and matured within the Church before being sent out for preaching. Don't confuse the rogues with solid preachers making a public proclamation of The Gospel.

If the preaching is not under the auspices of a church, it should be. If it is under the auspices of a church, then proper qualifications to preach apply whether the preaching is done inside a church building or on a street corner. It does not cease to be the proclamation of the church when it leaves the building.

Casual conversation would be another matter. But that's not what this is.

She goes out with groups of men and women with her church to do the street preaching. I suppose it's a ministry of the church she attends. She told me of one time where she went out preaching with some fellows, only to have them drop back and pray while she did the preaching. This made me quite uncomfortable. She agrees that women can't be in pastoral ministry... she just doesn't see this as the same thing.

Women are also virtually necessary when engaging women in other cultures--a Yemeni Muslim woman (generally) is not going to even acknowledge a man that isn't her relative. But women of all cultures love to gather and talk where there are children, and that opens a door.

Very true.

Which brings up an important point about the effectiveness of street evangelism over other forms of evangelism that women could be engaged in...especially in Mslm countries.

---------- Post added 10-21-2010 at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-20-2010 at 11:54 PM ----------

I consider myself very evangelistic, but I just haven't seen much success in the West with street preaching. It seems similar to getting an unsolicited phone call. It is a cold contact and no personal relationship is made. Christian women could do so much better with focusing on their own circles of friends. Whitefield set up his preaching place mostly in fields and people voluntarily came; they were not hounded. Angry-looking people harassing passers-by on a corner does not appear to show the love of Christ, but seems to more likely show mental illness to the spectators.

Giving reason for the hope that lies within oneself is one thing - preaching to passers-by on the street corner is a horse of a different color.

Good - that's what I wanted to hear someone say (to clarify the difference).

Until we come to a working definition of 'street preaching', we will never get anywhere in these conversations. Nailing down what it is is like trying to nail jello to the wall. The bottom line is this:

LBC 26, Paragraph 11. Although it be incumbent on the bishops or pastors of the churches, to be instant in preaching the word, by way of office, yet the work of preaching the word is not so peculiarly confined to them but that others also gifted and fitted by the Holy Spirit for it, and approved and called by the church, may and ought to perform it.

If what is happening on the street deserves to be called 'preaching the word', then those doing it must be 'approved and called by the church'. If it is not 'preaching the word', then why call it 'street preaching'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back