Wood Paneling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
"If the Sistine Chapel were a Presbyterian sanctuary, Michelangelo would have been ordered to put up wood paneling." - Kevin D. Williamson, "The Tuesday" (3/9/21)

It's almost as if some people don't think Presbyterians have any taste!

There are fewer things more beautiful than real wood paneling. So, you'll forgive me, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this isn't a complement.

There are fewer things more beautiful than real wood paneling. So, you'll forgive me, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this isn't a complement.

Williamson is a convert to Roman Catholicism, and he's joking about the contrast between the plainness of Presbyterian and/or Reformed churches and Roman Catholic churches.

Williamson is a convert to Roman Catholicism, and he's joking about the contrast between the plainness of Presbyterian and/or Reformed churches and Roman Catholic churches.
Sheffield is a convert to Reformed Theology, and he's joking about your original post . . . lighten up.

Last edited:
I mean, this has to be the pinnacle of Western style...

1970s-era-living-room-royalty-free-image-1576602746.jpg

put up wood paneling
One of the features of our house is the wood paneling in the living room.

@C. M. Sheffield I'd go with the standard modern champagne carpet, change out the light fixture, and angle the sofa in the room to face the fireplace. And, of course, swap out the TV for a large flat screen. (Of course, I still have a 27" tube Zenith in the living room.)

I mean, this has to be the pinnacle of Western style...

1970s-era-living-room-royalty-free-image-1576602746.jpg
Close, but I tend toward oiled doug fir floors and maybe a bison head on the wall. I'm partial to a large sheep fleece under my feet, large fireplace, and no TV.

I know you are showing the pinnacle of our culture, but I always have been a touch counter-culture.

"If the Sistine Chapel were a Presbyterian sanctuary, Michelangelo would have been ordered to put up wood paneling." - Kevin D. Williamson, "The Tuesday" (3/9/21)

It's almost as if some people don't think Presbyterians have any taste!

When I first read this I thought you were talking about that 70s fake wooden paneling--which I actually like that look. But yeah, I don't think many people would think that is good taste. And then of course, Michelangelo wouldn't be putting up 70s wooden paneling--but it was a long day at work, so my mind is a bit fried at the moment.

@bookslover "Hmmm. Shag carpeting in the Sistine Chapel." --Would that go with the fake wooden paneling?

Last edited:
When I first read this I thought you were talking about that 70s fake wooden paneling--which I actually like that look. But yeah, I don't think many people would think that is good taste. And then of course, Michelangelo wouldn't be putting up 70s wooden paneling--but it was a long day at work, so my mind is a bit fried at the moment.

@bookslover "Hmmm. Shag carpeting in the Sistine Chapel." --Would that go with the fake wooden paneling?

Yes. . .yes, it wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back