Word Biblical Commentary (58 vol.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
Is anyone familair with these Word Biblical Commentary set ?
Any thoughts ?
Are these reformed writters ?

Non-reformed. It is somewhat of a critical commentary (deals with the languages a bit) but typically their theology tends toward a liberal interpretation of things. At least from what I have experienced.

Some of the commentaries are superb. The scholarship, given the standards of the time, is top-notch. A few of the writers are Reformed. Most would identify themselves as evangelicals. However, some writers, like James Dunn who did Romans, are NPP. The format of the book itself is another problem.

But if you can findthem on the cheap, go for it.

The one on Matthew is pretty good. Ephesians is okay. The one on Revelation is way too much info that the pastor doesn't need and can't use. I also have James and Thessalonians, but I haven't really explored them.

No one commentary will fit all applications, however the Word series has some notible selections. I own the following: Genesis by Wenham (one of the best!), Job by Cline, Colossians by O'brian, Pastorial Epistles by Mounce, & II Peter & Jude by Bauckham. I find these very useful and reliable tools as a student of Reformed scholarship.

TIP: Try b4 you buy, visit the library or use library loan.

One of my professors has told me that this is a commentary set that is absolutely worth owning -- expensive as it may be. True, not every author is the best, but he has said that it's one of the more important conservative and scholarly efforts, and that, generally speaking, they're good (at least for, as he'd say, "conversation starters"). :D

I'm saving my :2cents: to get the whole set, but it'll be a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back