Word Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGF

Puritan Board Sophomore
This article by G.I. Williamson is, in my opinion, spot on.

By a majority of five to four the Supreme Court has discovered a new principle in the 14th Amendment, namely, the right to marry someone of your own sex.

In a scathing dissent Justice Scalia wrote this: “When the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified in 1868, every State limited marriage to one man and one woman, and no one doubted the constitutionality of doing so. They (the majority) have discovered in the Fourteenth Amendment a ‘fundamental right’ overlooked by every person alive at the time of ratification, and almost everyone else in the time since.”

Is it not fair to call this ‘word magic’ – making written words in an important historical document have a meaning never even imagined by the original authors? It’s hardly surprising that those who still believe as the authors of the Fourteenth Amendment did, see this as being dishonest. The founding Fathers of our Nation provided a way to bring new things to the status of law. All that is required is that we the people add another amendment to the Constitution that clearly states that new thing in words that everyone can understand. But such is the level of ethical integrity today that the liberal majority prefers to legislate for the people.

Now the thing that constantly comes to my mind as I read comments about this unwelcome change is how similar it is to what has happened in our Churches. And here I have in mind the conservative remnant Churches of North America, including my own Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC). I say this because of what we have done with the words of our Catechisms and Confession on the doctrine of divine creation.

Our Fathers said (again and again) the God’s work of creation was his making all things of nothing, by the word of his power, and in the space of six days, and all very good. They said this with wonderful simplicity and clarity. And they meant what they said. They did not mean that maybe those ‘days’ were not really days, but ‘millions (or even billions) of years.’ One of the proof texts they cited in support of their thrice-repeated assertion was Exodus 20:11 which says, “In six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.”

But what have we done with those simple assertions of our Fathers? We’ve said, in good Supreme Court majority style, that they can also mean several other possible concepts such as Day-Age, Analogical, or Framework. Well, I do not see any significant difference between what we have done with documents that we have vowed to maintain and defend, and what the majority of the Supreme Court Justices have done with the Fourteenth Amendment.

Because we too have a constitutional way to change what was said by our Fathers. It is by using a process by which texts that we can no longer agree with are changed to say what we can agree with. This, of course, is a burdensome undertaking. It cannot be done by just having a majority vote at one meeting.

We are so used to these things that we become blind to our own sin. How can we condemn these Justices for unconstitutional judicial activism, when we have done something strikingly similar in our own ‘word magic’ with our own Confessional documents?

This is something that has frustrated me for some time. If the plain and intended meaning of the language in our confession and catechisms can be so easily manipulated, then what's the point of having these as standards? If you cannot agree with what is said, don't change the meaning. State your difference and let it be what it is.

When people are not looking to The Standard, who is God, then there is no way to maintain the meaning of anything. Without man being regenerated and thus given the faith to repent and turn to God to worship, know, and understand His ways with an adoring heart of love, then the anchor is not moored and the ship is adrift tossed to and fro.

Thanks for sharing the article.

I believe in 6 day creation and in traditional marriage. However I differ with the premise stated above. The whole point of constitutional law as well as theological debate is to critique the consistency vs inconsistency of the documents. When the founders of this country stated that all men are created equal, they did not envision that to include African-Americans. It took a few generations for the hypocrisy of the statement to be clarified and for injustice to be rectified. Likewise, if one truly believes in sola scriptura, what is the problem with going back to examine the exact wording of the creation account? If one categorically states that the original intention of the confessions cannot be questioned on the basis of scripture, then one is de facto abandoning sola scriptura.

We are Protestants. The confession is not a dress-window to be changed by council or consensus. It is the floor-plan of the building. Change the confession and you change the church; and you cause a great many problems to the people who live and work inside it.

First you have office-bearers. It is not just that they have made a commitment to the church in terms of the Confession; the church has made a commitment to them.

Then you have the members. Who knows what sacrifices they have made in order to make their home in this confessing church! Are these to be disregarded for the sake of a change?

Then you have the patrimony of the church that must be administered in good faith. As the gifts were entrusted under the terms of the church's confession they must be used accordingly. A change in the confession effectively alters the church's relationship to this patrimony.

And we have not yet raised the relationship of the church to the world and the nature of its witness.

PCA's RPR (review of Presbytery minutes) has questioned this as a tertiary additional standard; WP needs to respond by next year and see where it goes. Someone who was on RPR might give better sense of what is going on here or maybe Fred can.

Excellent comparison! It seems like churches should become more consistent with their own interpretive principles before they critique that of society. God is not a progressive!

We are Protestants. The confession is not a dress-window to be changed by council or consensus. It is the floor-plan of the building. Change the confession and you change the church; and you cause a great many problems to the people who live and work inside it.

First you have office-bearers. It is not just that they have made a commitment to the church in terms of the Confession; the church has made a commitment to them.

Then you have the members. Who knows what sacrifices they have made in order to make their home in this confessing church! Are these to be disregarded for the sake of a change?

Then you have the patrimony of the church that must be administered in good faith. As the gifts were entrusted under the terms of the church's confession they must be used accordingly. A change in the confession effectively alters the church's relationship to this patrimony.

And we have not yet raised the relationship of the church to the world and the nature of its witness.

I thought it was the scriptures, not tradition/confessions that were the bedrock of our faith. Am I wrong? Granted that the confessions should not be changed lightly, but if they are not infallible (and they claim not to be), then they are not above reexamination. Right?

I believe in 6 day creation and in traditional marriage. However I differ with the premise stated above. The whole point of constitutional law as well as theological debate is to critique the consistency vs inconsistency of the documents. When the founders of this country stated that all men are created equal, they did not envision that to include African-Americans. It took a few generations for the hypocrisy of the statement to be clarified and for injustice to be rectified. Likewise, if one truly believes in sola scriptura, what is the problem with going back to examine the exact wording of the creation account? If one categorically states that the original intention of the confessions cannot be questioned on the basis of scripture, then one is de facto abandoning sola scriptura.

You're not actually disagreeing with G.I. Williamson here. He points out that there is a mechanism for amending the Confession; his argument is that it's more honest to alter the document than to claim that it somehow agrees with this new position.

How did the U.S. address "all men are created equal" with respect to black people? Word magic or 14th constitutional amendment? That didn't even give them the right to vote. How did we address that? Supreme court decision interpreting the 14th? No, 15th amendment. Does the 14th amendment grant women the right to vote since they are being denied "the equal protection of the laws"? Answer: no. Therefore we have the 19th amendment. See a pattern? (except last Friday of course)

I thought it was the scriptures, not tradition/confessions that were the bedrock of our faith. Am I wrong?

Not wrong, but perhaps not seeing that the doctrine of Scripture is part of the confession. So as soon as we say Scripture is the bedrock of faith, we have made a confession that we regard as infallible and unchangeable. When the church says Scripture teaches X, doctrine X is treated as infallible and unchangeable because it is the doctrine of Scripture. One does not seek to change the doctrine of Scripture.

One problem with original intent as an interpretive principle is whose intent do you go by? Individual members of the assembly? The committee assigned to that portion? The assembly as a whole? The adopting body? Seems to me the adopting body is the most relevant, but the problem of original intent has lead many to look for alternatives such as textualism or original public meaning. (These different approaches often lead to different results yet they confusingly all go by the name originalism.)

Then you have the issue that the Confession is a subordinate standard to the Scriptures. What should happen if there is an apparent conflict between the two standards? Some would have us immediately amend the subordinate standards, but why not take the approach of a Bork (who conservatives seemed to love) or a Roberts (who conservatives now hate? for doing what Bork would have done?) and give the Confession a saving construction? That is, why shouldn't the Confession be interpreted in light of the Scriptures?

That is, why shouldn't the Confession be interpreted in light of the Scriptures?

For one, they are already interpreted in light of the Scriptures.

1.) Are you saying in your hypothetical that some part of the Confession was not already being interpreted in light of the Scriptures? Are you saying there was a 'then' scriptural interpretation and there is a 'now' scriptural interpretation? If so, what was the 'then' scriptural interpretation? And who's 'then' scriptural interpretation are you using or going by? Or who's 'now' scriptural interpretation are you using or going by?

2.) Can you know the original intent of the scriptures? Or does that change also?

One problem with original intent as an interpretive principle is whose intent do you go by?

In many orthodox Presbyterian churches it is common for office bearers to vow to uphold the Westminster Confession as it was received by the Church of Scotland in 1647. Thus, that should constitute an adequate definition of original intent.

In other situations, however, when people vow to uphold the Westminster Confession as it was received by [insert the name of an ecclesiastical body], then their vows may not necessarily oblige them to receive the Westminster Confession as it was received by the Church of Scotland in 1647.

As a non-American, I think talk of "original intent" can be confusing owing to the muddled thinking of political conservatives. For instance, when the current President of the USA swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States, he did not swear to uphold it as it was originally written in 1787. Instead, he swore to uphold it as it currently stands in light of the amendments that have been subsequently added to the document. The same principle may hold true for office bearers in the American Presbyterian churches who vow to uphold an amended version of the Westminster Confession. :think:

Nicholas,

1. I'm specifically referring to the notion that "in the space of six days" means something more than what Scripture already teaches in Genesis and the Ten Commandments. If the Standards are an accurate summary of the teaching of Scripture, they can't be interpreted to mean something more than what Scripture teaches. It is sort of the judgment of charity applied to the Standards. If the author of the article wants to say that anyone who doesn't hold to a specific view of Creation is teaching contrary to the Scriptures, let's have that discussion instead.

2. Behind the many human authors of Scripture there is one Author. Seeking original intent seems a lot less futile in any case where there is one author, even more so when that Author "authored" the interpreter and sent his Interpreter to help. The original intent can't change, but our understanding of it can.

Daniel,

You make many excellent points. I did not know that there are Presbyterian churches that specify these things. You are right about our muddled thinking. We can't even decide if judicial restraint means the judge should strictly enforce the Constitution or should defer to the majority through their elected representatives. I think it just depends on which outcome we like best in any given case.

"Traditional Marriage"? I think you mean marriage. This decision is only a couple days old and are we now going to start using their words? It is like "traditional worship" and "contemporary worship" nonsense. What does the Bible call it? And what is an "African-American" outside the USA? We will never be able to think clearly if we use the PC vocabulary.
Dave
PHX
OPC

"Traditional Marriage"? I think you mean marriage. This decision is only a couple days old and are we now going to start using their words? It is like "traditional worship" and "contemporary worship" nonsense. What does the Bible call it? And what is an "African-American" outside the USA? We will never be able to think clearly if we use the PC vocabulary.
Dave
PHX
OPC

Total depravity, unconditional election, etc. Adjectives are helpful, but I share your concern about "traditional." Perhaps we should use the adjective biblical marriage to qualify what the bible defines as marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back