Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgray

Puritan Board Freshman
I am new to PB and a little nervous about posting, especially theologically weighty or difficult material. I read one of the "sticky" classic Posts entitled "The PB is NOT an obscure corner of the internet" and it got me thinking about our words.

The issue for me is permanence. When I say something privately to my wife as I wrestle through issues, the words are somewhat impermanent. When I am speaking in a small informal group the words are more permanent. When I speak formally to a group and it is not recorded it is more permanent still.

But recording and writing leave permanent impressions (literally). And generally take a lot of time and prep. in order to be precise, truthful, and charitable.

Where does posting on this website fit? I realize that no matter what, we must speak truth with love... but what if I'm wrestling through that truth with all of you and in dialogue I "miss-speak"? Unlike wrestling in my theology classes, which are verbal, there is a permanence here...

How have you all wrestled with this issue?

Thanks,

It definitely requires more care. I often try to post things I'm wrestling with in a forum that is not viewable to the public, so as not to possibly confuse non-PB members with my ignorance.

It definitely requires more care. I often try to post things I'm wrestling with in a forum that is not viewable to the public, so as not to possibly confuse non-PB members with my ignorance.

This is a dumb question I'm sure but, how do I know which ones are viewable and which are not viewable?

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I have often thought about it and I know that it causes me to fuss over my posts too much sometimes. I think it is a good thing to be reflective though with what we say or post. Many scriptures speak about the word and our tongues. We may not have creative power in our words as God does and as he has imbued the gospel with, but we do have life and death in our tongues.

This is a dumb question I'm sure but, how do I know which ones are viewable and which are not viewable?

Rob, if you go onto the main page (just hit the puritanboard logo) you will see all the forums listed -- there is a heading of forums called 'members only' and all the forums located under that heading are not viewable by the public. Also running down the side of your screen you should have an option to expand a 'members only' -- widget? Is that what they are called?

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I have often thought about it and I know that it causes me to fuss over my posts too much sometimes. I think it is a good thing to be reflective though with what we say or post. Many scriptures speak about the word and our tongues. We may not have creative power in our words as God does and as he has imbued the gospel with, but we do have life and death in our tongues.

Sorry... words are confusing after all. I was referring to my question about which threads were viewable by the public or only by PB'ers as being a silly question since it is probably obvious to most.

But with regards to our tongues I agree wholeheartedly with you, which is why I am guarded and hesitant.

-----Added 2/24/2009 at 02:38:58 EST-----

Rob, if you go onto the main page (just hit the puritanboard logo) you will see all the forums listed -- there is a heading of forums called 'members only' and all the forums located under that heading are not viewable by the public. Also running down the side of your screen you should have an option to expand a 'members only' -- widget? Is that what they are called?

Thanks!

You can also send a Private Message to a PB member...perhaps someone you feel could answer the specific stuff you would be wrestling with.

That there is a record here of what one posts is not necesarrily a bad thing. I've seen people progress through issues here and being able to see the posts and go through them chronilogically gives one a bit of insight into how the person worked through the issue they were struggling with at the time. This in and of itself could possibly be helpfull to someone struggling with similar things.

I say this of course as a PB member, outsiders are another matter so I would say that there are some things that are probably better kept in member only forums.

That there is a record here of what one posts is not necesarrily a bad thing. I've seen people progress through issues here and being able to see the posts and go through them chronilogically gives one a bit of insight into how the person worked through the issue they were struggling with at the time. This in and of itself could possibly be helpfull to someone struggling with similar things.

I say this of course as a PB member, outsiders are another matter so I would say that there are some things that are probably better kept in member only forums.

Thanks! That's helpful to think about it in terms of being able to see a progression of thought.

What I haven't quite figured out is what the impact of this medium and others like it (i.e. facebook) are with regards to self presentation. There are few non verbals,(other than those cute smilies which do help :cool:)

yet it is closer to a face to face conversation than to a letter in style and significance, but more permanent (even more permanent than an unrecorded public speach)

Anyway, I'm just wrestling with how guarded or open to be, and it is helpful to know that there are non-public threads for more sensitive topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back