Work in the eternal Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarieP

Puritan Board Senior
The new heavens and new earth is described as the eternal Sabbath, and yet it is also said that we will labor to the glory of God. I don't disagree with either of these portraits, but I'm trying to put the two together! Obviously, we won't be able to fully know how it works out until we arrive there. But, any thoughts? Will there be a pattern of work and rest, since both work and rest were instituted pre-fall? Of course, Jesus Lord of the Sabbath, so whatever we do will be right! Maybe it will all be works of mercy and necessity ;)

Maybe it will all be works of mercy and necessity

I am not sure whether you were half-kidding or not? But I will approach this seriously. I wouldn't think that there would be any opportunities for mercy in eternity, since there will be no more sorrow or tears.

I am not sure whether you were half-kidding or not? But I will approach this seriously. I wouldn't think that there would be any opportunities for mercy in eternity, since there will be no more sorrow or tears.

I was half-kidding, but that's a great point you brought up! Though, I was thinking more along the lines of mercy as "kindness"

Hi Marie,

Perhaps I am just not sure what you are referring to, but what makes you think that we will labor/work in the everlasting state? Please let me know if I am misunderstanding you as well.

Greg

It is the perfectly numbered seven day week, with its six days of labour, rest, worship and play, and its one day of rest and worship, that is typical of the Heavenly Eschatalogical Kingdom, not the weekly Sabbath on its own.

Unlike days, months and years, the perectly numbered week is given by special revelation rather than by natural revelation. The seven day week is revealed and applied to this world from Heaven, in anticipation of the Heavenly Eschatalogical Rest. Every week that passes and every Sabath that passes is another step on the eschatalogical stairway to Heaven. See , e.g., the use of the number seven in Revelation.

In the new order all our work and play will be characterised by rest and worship in a way that it is not - and not possible to be - here. :2cents:

Hi Marie,

Perhaps I am just not sure what you are referring to, but what makes you think that we will labor/work in the everlasting state? Please let me know if I am misunderstanding you as well.

Greg

Well, we will be serving and ruling (Rev. 22) and put in charge of things (Matt. 25/Luke 19) on the New Earth, so I would think that this points to what God intended for man in the Garden of Eden.

Hi Marie,

Here's an article in CT excerpted from Anthony Hoekema's book, The Bible and the Future (he's amil): Heaven: Not Just an Eternal Day Off.

Enjoyed the article immensely!!! I will have to check out his book!

It is the perfectly numbered seven day week, with its six days of labour, rest, worship and play, and its one day of rest and worship, that is typical of the Heavenly Eschatalogical Kingdom, not the weekly Sabbath on its own.

Unlike days, months and years, the perectly numbered week is given by special revelation rather than by natural revelation. The seven day week is revealed and applied to this world from Heaven, in anticipation of the Heavenly Eschatalogical Rest. Every week that passes and every Sabath that passes is another step on the eschatalogical stairway to Heaven. See , e.g., the use of the number seven in Revelation.

In the new order all our work and play will be characterised by rest and worship in a way that it is not - and not possible to be - here.

That makes sense! I like how you put all that! And the last sentence, it reminds me of a number of things in our faith- we believe in a God who is both One and Three, we believe Jesus is fully divine and fully human, how can they be both? They just are, we can't comprehend it fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back