Work on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformingstudent

Puritan Board Junior
Is working on Sunday a clear violation of the 4th Commandment even if it is done only half the day?
I was suppose to start my new job tomorrow but I am having second thoughts about it now that I prayed and seen that I would be having to work on the Lord's day. If this was the job God wanted me to have would He contradict His own will by having me work on the Lord's day? What is appropriate response to a problem like this? Should I take the job I need and violate God's command and my conscience
or should I pass it up in the hope He will provide for my need
another way that will not cause me to break His law?

Any insight would be appreciated .

Thanks.

Tom, This is a challenging subject when it comes to questions like this, primarily because many employers today do not respect Christian employees who have a conscience about the Lord's Day. But God's Word is clear. The Fourth Commandment is an enduring moral law that has reference to keeping the Christian Sabbath holy and not working renumeratively on that day unless such work is of necessity or mercy (ie., doctors, policemen, soldiers, etc.). The Westminster Confession's chapter on the Christian Sabbath may be a help to you as you consider this matter prayerfully.

"...for them that honour me I will honour..." (1 Sam. 2.30)

God bless!

[Edited on 6-6-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

We should strive to make the Lord's Day a set-apart day of rest and relaxation and not let it find itself among the common days the rest of the week.

Exodus 31:12 And the Lord said to Moses, 13 "œYou are to speak to the people of Israel and say, "˜Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you. 14 You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death. 16 Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever. 17 It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.´"

18 And he gave to Moses, when he had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Tom, This is a challenging subject when it comes to questions like this, primarily because many employers today do not respect Christian employees who have a conscience about the Lord's Day. But God's Word is clear. The Fourth Commandment is an enduring moral law that has reference to keeping the Christian Sabbath holy and not working renumeratively on that day unless such work is of necessity or mercy (ie., doctors, policemen, soldiers, etc.). The Westminster Confession's chapter on the Christian Sabbath may be a help to you as you consider this matter prayerfully.

"...for them that honour me I will honour..." (1 Sam. 2.30)

God bless!

[Edited on 6-6-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Thanks Andrew.
Could you tell me what you think of this and is this advice biblical?

The Lord wants you to work and have a living.

Jesus would NOT leave a lamb in the ditch

because it was the Sabbath (Matthew 12:11-12).

We are commanded to have jobs and work

(Genesis 3:17b, 1 Timothy 5:8).

Necessity is always a reason to work on the

Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-8).

Take the job, earn a living, find another job as

soon as you can.

I was confronted for a time with doing this after becoming Sabbatarian.

If necessary, then work. Also, when interviewing for a job you are entitled to give your own stipulations: I gave mine to my current employer. I said "I am willing to give you 6 days of work, I ask for only 1 specific day of rest each week out of Christian conviction". When phrased that way, it should help any rational person to see how foolish it is to not give you 1 day off of your choice...52 days out of 365 that you have "control" over...puts things in perspective even for the unregenerates. I haven't had to worry about it once since then. When work is "needed" on a Sunday, no one EVER asks me. They know.

But it may be necessary for a time for you to work now and again on Sunday. God knows our circumstances and you can only control so much: if this employer will not respect God's law, it may be a decent job for now while you find more permanent work.

[Edited on 6-6-2005 by Craig]

Originally posted by Craig
I was confronted for a time with doing this after becoming Sabbatarian.

If necessary, then work. Also, when interviewing for a job you are entitled to give your own stipulations: I gave mine to my current employer. I said "I am willing to give you 6 days of work, I ask for only 1 specific day of rest each week out of Christian conviction". When phrased that way, it should help any rational person to see how foolish it is to not give you 1 day off of your choice...52 days out of 365 that you have "control" over...puts things in perspective even for the unregenerates. I haven't had to worry about it once since then. When work is "needed" on a Sunday, no one EVER asks me. They know.

But it may be necessary for a time for you to work now and again on Sunday. God knows our circumstances and you can only control so much: if this employer will not respect God's law, it may be a decent job for now while you find more permanent work.

[Edited on 6-6-2005 by Craig]

Problem is though I would be expected to work every Sunday. My wife works most Sundays but her work as a CNA (she works at a nursing home and cares for the elderly and bed ridden) is of necessity and mercy while my job is not so important or needful except to my employers.

According to Federal Law an employer that has more than 15 employes is required to accommodate the religious practicecs of the employees. So if you state to your employer that your religious beliefs and practice prevent you from working on Sunday they must comply or can be fined by the government and sued by you!

Check out more here: American Center for Law and Justice

Phillip

Originally posted by pastorway
According to Federal Law an employer that has more than 15 employes is required to accommodate the religious practicecs of the employees. So if you state to your employer that your religious beliefs and practice prevent you from working on Sunday they must comply or can be fined by the government and sued by you!

Phillip

Or they can just "let you go"

Originally posted by Reformingstudent
Thanks Andrew.
Could you tell me what you think of this and is this advice biblical?

The Lord wants you to work and have a living.

Jesus would NOT leave a lamb in the ditch

because it was the Sabbath (Matthew 12:11-12).

Yes, the Fourth Commandment requires us to work six days a week. The flip side is that we required to abstain from ordinary common labors on the Christian Sabbath, excepting works of piety, necessity and mercy. The Matthew 12 passage has reference to the latter.

We are commanded to have jobs and work

(Genesis 3:17b, 1 Timothy 5:8).

Yes, as mentioned before, work is required per the Fourth Commandment.

Necessity is always a reason to work on the

Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-8).

Take the job, earn a living, find another job as

soon as you can.

I would not personally dictate what is meant by "necessity" but the example of the Matthew 12 passage clearly does not mean that anything is permitted on the Christian Sabbath. It means that preparation of meals, healing, helping your neighbor who is in trouble, these sorts of things constitute necessity or mercy. Ordinary renumerative business does not fall under these allowed activities.

In the process of seeking employment it is definitely best to be upfront with your potential employer about the Lord's Day issue. In the context of dealing with an employer who is unyielding on this point, as has been noted, there are religious discrimination regulations which may be applicable and appealed to.

Many Christians deal with this issue. It is a difficult issue in our 24-hour/7-day-a-week society. The Lord's Day is looked upon as a day like any other and some folks cannot even conceive of what it means to keep the day holy. But Sabbath-keeping is a vital part of what it means to live holy in a fallen society. God truly honors those who keep his day holy and call it a delight (Isa. 58.13).

Phillip

Thanks Pastor Philip.
I appreciate that.

Phillip
Nice:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back