Works of John Brown of Haddington

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
The following is a list of all the works (to my knowledge) by John Brown of Haddington, including links to online and/or hardcopy editions where I could find them.

The Self-Interpreting Bible
A Dictionary of the Bible
Brown's Dictionary of Bible Characters
A Brief Concordance to the Holy Scriptures
Notes on the Psalms of David in Metre
Sacred Tropology; or, A Brief View of the Figures and Explication of the Metaphors contained in Scripture
An Evangelical and Practical View of the Types and Figures of the Old Testament Dispensation
A Compendious View of Natural and Revealed Religion (now titled John Brown's Systematic Theology)
A General History of the Christian Church, from the Birth of our Saviour to the Present Time
A Compendious History of the British Churches in Scotland, England, Ireland, and America and An Historical Account of the Rise and Progress of the Secession (combined into 2 volumes -- Vol.1 and Vol. 2)
The Christian, the Student, and Pastor, exemplified in the Lives of Nine Eminent Ministers in Scotland, England, and America
Practical Piety exemplified in the Lives of Thirteen Eminent Christians, and Illustrated in Cases of Conscience
The Young Christian; or, The Pleasantness of Early Piety
An Essay towards an easy, plain, practical, and extensive Explication of the Assembly's Shorter Catechism (republished as Questions and Answers on the Shorter Catechism)
Two Short Catechisms, mutually connected
The Christian Journal; or, Common Incidents Spiritual Instructors
Religious Steadfastness recommended
The Fearful Shame and Contempt of those Professed Christians who neglect to raise up Spiritual Children to Christ
The Necessity and Advantage of Earnest Prayer for the Lord's special direction in the choice of Pastors
Devout Breathings
The Awakening Call: Four Solemn Addresses, to Sinners, to Children, to Young Men and Women, and to Aged Persons
A Brief Dissertation concerning the Righteousness of Christ
Letters on the Constitution, Government, and Discipline of the Christian Church
The Re-exhibition of the Testimony Vindicated in opposition to the unfair account given of it by the Rev. Adam Gib
The Oracles of Christ and the Abominations of Antichrist Compared; or, A Brief View of the Errors, Impieties and Inhumanities of Popery
The Absurdity and Perfidy of all Authoritative Toleration of Gross Heresy, Blasphemy, Idolatry, and Popery in Britain, in Two Letters to a Friend (reprinted here)
The Most Remarkable Passages in the Life and Spiritual experiences of Elizabeth Wast, a Young Woman, sometime Matron of the Trades Hospital, Edinburgh
Thoughts on the Travelling of the Mail on the Lord's Day
Apology for the more frequent Administration of the Lord's Supper
Select Remains
Posthumous Works

Last edited:
Good; I hope to order the one on toleration. I managed to read get a copy in a library in Belfast recently, but it will be great to have my own.

What a sad state that so little of his works have been published. He had such an interesting life and was such a driven man.

This is begging for attention in publishing.

What a sad state that so little of his works have been published. He had such an interesting life and was such a driven man.

This is begging for attention in publishing.

:agree:

Would it be possible for the likes of myself to take some of his old works, type them up, and reprint them through Lulu? Does anyone know much about this?

I found that Kessinger Publishing has reprinted one of John Brown's catechisms for young children (known as "Little Brown") and it is available here.

I found something interesting, and also somewhat confusing. I was reading a review on John Brown's "Systematic Theology" by Tony Reinke on Monergism.com - which was posted just a year ago. Review: The Systematic Theology of John Brown of Haddington (Monergism)
At the end, he advertises the sale of the book -- "$25.99 from Monergism Books".
Well, Monergism doesn't list it, RHB doesn't list it, and to my knowledge no one lists it. How can this be after just one year the book is completely out of print? How many books does a publisher print at each edition? 10? 100? No wonder so many of these books are out of print... :confused:

Well, I have too many books to actually worry about this anyway. :D
Just thought I'd express some of my thoughts...

I found something interesting, and also somewhat confusing. I was reading a review on John Brown's \"Systematic Theology\" by Tony Reinke on Monergism.com - which was posted just a year ago. Review: The Systematic Theology of John Brown of Haddington (Monergism)
At the end, he advertises the sale of the book -- \"$25.99 from Monergism Books\".
Well, Monergism doesn't list it, RHB doesn't list it, and to my knowledge no one lists it. How can this be after just one year the book is completely out of print? How many books does a publisher print at each edition? 10? 100? No wonder so many of these books are out of print... :confused:

Well, I have too many books to actually worry about this anyway. :D
Just thought I'd express some of my thoughts...

I think it was republished in 2002, but your point is well taken, this is a good book which should remain in print.

I think Amazon might be the way to go if you are interested:

Amazon.com: The Systematic Theology of John Brown of Haddington: Brown, John: Books

Nice! Good call w/ Amazon.

*sigh*

I am so tempted to get it... This is like offering an alcoholic a drink...

:cheers:

In John Brown's Systematic Theology, one may find an address to students of divinity.

That prefacing address is wonderful. If only more pastors had read it. I think John Brown certainly ought to be rediscovered by more people. His Systematic Theology certainly isn't the most academically informative with respect to theology, but reading it is one of the most wonderful things I have ever done -- the whole of the work reads as though filled with a spirit of prayer of thanksgiving and worship to God. Brown wasn't simply hoping to teach his students book theology.

Thanks and a Question

Awesome post! I recently became a "fan" of Brown by hearing about his courage and drive as a young man determined to learn Greek. I recently bought his republished Dictionary of Bible Characters for my son and I to use. The links to the other works is most appreciated!

Here's a question though . . . I have read several people talk about his famous letter in defense of learning Greek, but cannot seem to find it anywhere. Do you know if it is online anywhere or in the new biography by Banner?

Thanks and blessings!

Awesome post! I recently became a "fan" of Brown by hearing about his courage and drive as a young man determined to learn Greek. I recently bought his republished Dictionary of Bible Characters for my son and I to use. The links to the other works is most appreciated!

Here's a question though . . . I have read several people talk about his famous letter in defense of learning Greek, but cannot seem to find it anywhere. Do you know if it is online anywhere or in the new biography by Banner?

Thanks and blessings!

Good question. My copy of William Brown's biography is at home and I am not, but I don't recall such a letter being included. I will check that out. I think, if I recall correctly, the charge against Brown was that the only way he could have acquired his knowledge of Hebrew, Greek and Latin as he did being a poor shepherd boy, was to have entered into a league with the devil. And so he had to defend himself against that charge. I'll look into this further and see what I can find.

-----Added 12/11/2008 at 08:54:01 EST-----

It turns out that the letter you refer to is indeed quoted in William Brown's Memoir. The letter is dated August 6, 1745, and in it he vindicates his learning Greek and other languages from the charge that he made a deal with the devil. His vindication can be read online at the link below (pp. 29-33).

Internet Archive: Details: Memoir and select remains of the Rev. John Brown, minister of the Gospel, Haddington;

Sweet!

Thanks for hunting that down! One person went so far as to call it one of the best letters in church history. I found it odd that with such praise, it was so far to find :think:

I'll check it out.

Thanks and blessings!

Good question. My copy of William Brown's biography is at home and I am not, but I don't recall such a letter being included. I will check that out. I think, if I recall correctly, the charge against Brown was that the only way he could have acquired his knowledge of Hebrew, Greek and Latin as he did being a poor shepherd boy, was to have entered into a league with the devil. And so he had to defend himself against that charge. I'll look into this further and see what I can find.

-----Added 12/11/2008 at 08:54:01 EST-----

It turns out that the letter you refer to is indeed quoted in William Brown's Memoir. The letter is dated August 6, 1745, and in it he vindicates his learning Greek and other languages from the charge that he made a deal with the devil. His vindication can be read online at the link below (pp. 29-33).

Internet Archive: Details: Memoir and select remains of the Rev. John Brown, minister of the Gospel, Haddington;

I don't have the citation at hand, but that is how Dr Whytock tells the story.

-----Added 12/11/2008 at 10:15:11 EST-----

When I was attending a church pastored by Dr Whytock, some years ago, whe had brass mounted boards with nameplates listing all of those who had said their catechism.

We had one (several, actualy) for the "children's Catechism", one for the "shorter", one for the "larger", and one very hopefully placed board with only a few names on it for "Mr. Brown's Catechism".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back