'Works of the Law' in Church Fathers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
What generally are 'works of the law' in the church fathers, especially the ante-Nicean crowd? Particular Jewish ceremonies or the law as a whole? @BayouHuguenot Perhaps you could chime in?
I came across this and it looks interesting: https://www.ivpress.com/Paul-s-works-of-the-law-in-the-perspective-of-second-century-reception Apparently, he concludes that works of the law = Jewish rituals in the Apostolic fathers.
Horton's book on Justification seems to come to the opposite conclusion while mentioning a few oddities.

What generally are 'works of the law' in the church fathers, especially the ante-Nicean crowd? Particular Jewish ceremonies or the law as a whole? @BayouHuguenot Perhaps you could chime in?
I came across this and it looks interesting: https://www.ivpress.com/Paul-s-works-of-the-law-in-the-perspective-of-second-century-reception Apparently, he concludes that works of the law = Jewish rituals in the Apostolic fathers.
Horton's book on Justification seems to come to the opposite conclusion while mentioning a few oddities.

Probably the best bet is to find the Ancient Christian Commentary Series on Galatians and see how those fathers gloss the phrase. Of course, that will not tell you *the* early church view, but it will give you a starting point. Tom Oden also wrote The Justification Primer and The Good Works Primer. They deal with the fathers on this topic. Thomas Torrance's dissertation, The Doctrine of Grace in the Apostolic Fathers touches on it, but not at the level of the above two.

Probably the best bet is to find the Ancient Christian Commentary Series on Galatians and see how those fathers gloss the phrase. Of course, that will not tell you *the* early church view, but it will give you a starting point. Tom Oden also wrote The Justification Primer and The Good Works Primer. They deal with the fathers on this topic. Thomas Torrance's dissertation, The Doctrine of Grace in the Apostolic Fathers touches on it, but not at the level of the above two.
I see. Since you have read many, what is your take?

I see. Since you have read many, what is your take?

Well, we know the Fathers as a whole were synergistic. They were overreacting to fatalism and astrology. I wouldn't say their understanding of works of the law was identical or as fine-tuned as what you would find in EP Sanders or Wright, but some elements are there.

Why should I believe everything a church father said?
I'm not making them infallible authorities, I just want to know how would you respond to someone who use historic teaching to affirm unbiblical claims?

Or said in another way, how can we be biblical christians and in the same time historic christians?

I have my opinion, but I want to know yours.

I'm not making them infallible authorities, I just want to know how would you respond to someone who use historic teaching to affirm unbiblical claims?

Or said in another way, how can we be biblical christians and in the same time historic christians?

I have my opinion, but I want to know yours.

Several lines of response:
1) They were answering different questions than the ones we are asking.
2) There really isn't a unified "church fathers view" on topics outside of those covered in councils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back