World Cup Disappointment

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tripel, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripel

Tripel Puritan Board Senior

It sure would have been great for the US to have gotten the 2022 World Cup. And I know the UK is disappointed about England's failed bid for 2018.

But despite losing out, I am really intrigued to see Qatar host this thing. Air-conditioned stadiums in the Middle East? This will be entertaining.

2. Phil D.

Phil D. Puritan Board Sophomore

I thought that since we elected Obama the whole world was gonna like US so much that all these things were gonna go our way - yet were O for 2 now. Go figure...

3. Bradwardine

Bradwardine Puritan Board Freshman

Even as a Scot , I'm disappointed that England didn't get it. The whole process is very Political (with a huge, capital P !!)

4. Montanablue

Montanablue Puritan Board Doctor

I'm caught between laughter and disgust. Hosting the world cup in Qatar is like having a swim meet in a bathtub. A boiling bathtub.

But really, its just disgusting. We all know that most of the labor that will go into Qatar's stadiums will be slave labor.

5. Curt

Curt Puritan Board Graduate

After all that that political expertise exerted by our "high officials" we still fell short. Gee, they might as well have expended that energy on lesser things, like immigration issues or Korea.

6. jambo

jambo Puritan Board Senior

As a Scot I found myself hoping England would get to host the 2018 World Cup as long as they promise not to win it.

7. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

How much do you think Qatar paid for the privilege?

8. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

I would think a good bit more than the Winter Games cost, but a little less than the Summer Olympics.

9. TimV

TimV Puritanboard Botanist

I understand it's one of only two Muslim majority nations that don't allow churches to be built. I hope the cost of the cup bankrupts them and the leadership has to survive on dead sheep that didn't make it alive to Mecca.

10. Montanablue

Apparently, they've started to allow select Catholic masses in the past 2 years.

11. TimV

Well that's a turn for the better. Thanks, sis.

12. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

I meant under the table.

13. Scottish Lass

Scottish Lass Puritan Board Doctor

I knew what you meant and think his answer still applies.

14. Montanablue

I like deliver cheery good news

15. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

I started to post something more direct (referencing a news story on the Salt Lake Olympics), but immediately edited my post since I have no evidence of corruption this time. I'd be shocked, however, if there were NOT payoffs.

16. Tripel

Tripel Puritan Board Senior

I agree, Edward. It's just incredibly fishy that England and the US would have such appealing bids, yet they got shalacked in the vote. Out of 22 votes, England only got two. Two!! And one of those was by the English delegate. For 2022, the US only got 3 out of 22 votes. That is staggering. Especially when you factor in that Korea got 4 and Japan got 3.....and Korea/Japan were joint hosts a mere 3 World Cups ago!

This is not a case of the US and England being out-played in their respective bids. There was an intensional effort to keep the World Cup away from these two Western powers.

17. TimV

Resentment is as powerful a drug as money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.