World Cup Rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripel

Puritan Board Senior
Who are the soccer fans out there? (or "football" for the non-Americans) Any thoughts about the preliminary rosters announced yesterday?

I was really hoping Charlie Davies would make the US roster, but I guess he is just too far from match fitness to be included. As a Liverpool fan, I was glad to see Jamie Carragher come back from retirement to join England's provisional 30.

I find it particularly interesting that the 3 soccer names your typical American non-fan is most likely to know will NOT be at the World Cup. That being David Beckham, Ronaldinho, and Freddy Adu.
I'm sure Nike and ESPN were hoping those first two would be World Cup-bound for marketing purposes.

England is ripe for 1st Round exit with the usual English angst.

My pick is Spain. It is about time they win the Cup.

I would not be surprised to see the Italians repeat either. Germans always play well in the WC.

This will also be the first WC where the host nation does not make it out of the group stage.

I think England has a good shot. I know they have underwhelmed in recent competitions, but they have loads of talent...probably top 3 in WC.

Spain is awesome, and I agree it's about time, but they have some present injury issues. Key players like Torres, Iniesta, and Fabregas. If all can get back to 100%, they'll be one of the strongest teams.

I think it's going to come down to England, Spain, Netherlands, and Argentina. I see Italy, Brazil, and France having lesser performances than usual.

It is always hard to see past Brazil. From Europe, I always like the Dutch although normally the quarter finals is as far as they usually get. I think the Ivory Coast may be best of the African teams although I don't think they will win it. That said, I don't think it will be that far away before an African nation does win the world cup.

Brazil is purposefully going with a younger roster this year to gear up for '14. Be interesting to see how they do. Their group is fairly average.

Be interesting also to see if a European team can finally win a Cup outside of Europe.

Betting on the USA to beat England is easy money, in my opinion. England may have the best league, but they are by far the most overrated national team. If the US plays the way it did against Spain, Brazil, and Italy in the Confederation Cup, they will win by 2-3 goals and basically lock up the group on the first day. Even if England wins, I would be surprised to see them survive into the quarterfinals.

I agree Spain seems like the logical choice to win it all going in, but I wouldn't count out Italy or Brazil. Germany always manages to find its way to the semifinals, and I like Chile as a dark horse contender. Should be an interesting World Cup...

A number have mentioned Spain but this happens at most World Cup finals where Spain are highly rated prior to the tournament starting but, apart from the Euro Championships 2 years ago, usually are a disappointment. Germany although usually doing quite well are always the dullest and most boring team in the finals (although the exception was 4 years ago when they were not as dull as they normally are, in fact they were quite impressive for once). The French cheated their way into the finals so I won't be supporting them. (Unless of course they are playing England)

Well 2002 the Germans supplied quite a bit of offense, I know because I was there. :lol:

By the way anyone else been to a World Cup match?

I have been to one. 2002 Korea/Japan

Ireland v. Germany

Betting on the USA to beat England is easy money, in my opinion. England may have the best league, but they are by far the most overrated national team. If the US plays the way it did against Spain, Brazil, and Italy in the Confederation Cup, they will win by 2-3 goals and basically lock up the group on the first day. Even if England wins, I would be surprised to see them survive into the quarterfinals.

I don't think I could disagree any more. Yes, the US played well at times in the Confed Cup, but I chalk those games up (especially vs Spain) as a fluke. If the US can draw against England, it's a victory in my book. We are overmatched in every position except GK.
England is not overrated--Their rating has consistently been a team with loads of individual talent, but lacking cohesiveness. With Capello at the helm, they appear to finally be putting a good product on the field. They tore through the WC qualifiers, and if they keep that same form we will likely see them in the semi's, maybe even the final game.

Well 2002 the Germans supplied quite a bit of offense, I know because I was there. :lol:

By the way anyone else been to a World Cup match?

I have been to one. 2002 Korea/Japan

Ireland v. Germany

Our youngest son went on a school trip to the last World Cup finals where he saw Sweden v Trinidad and Tobago and he also attended Togo against South Korea.

Now that I think about it, I have not been to a World Cup Finals match but I have actually seen the World Cup trophy. After the French won it in 1998 they played Northern Ireland in a friendly at Windsor Park. The trophy was paraded around the pitch by the players. It passed within 30ft of me so I suppose I have been closer to the World Cup trophy than messrs. Terry, Ferdinand and Rooney will ever be.

Now that I think about it, I have not been to a World Cup Finals match but I have actually seen the World Cup trophy. After the French won it in 1998 they played Northern Ireland in a friendly at Windsor Park. The trophy was paraded around the pitch by the players. It passed within 30ft of me so I suppose I have been closer to the World Cup trophy than messrs. Terry, Ferdinand and Rooney will ever be.

Hopefully that continues to be the truth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back