World Cup (soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have felt the Americans have been fortunate to get this far. As the game now goes into extra time I am amazed it is still 0-0 as Tim Howrad has defied the Belgians on a number of occasions. Belgium just scored and taken a deserved lead.

Without Howard playing as well as he did the Belgians could have won this match by at least three or four goals.

Belgium looked like an excellent team to these soccer novice eyes.

That was a fantastic match! Howard was great. I agree, without his efforts USA would have been down by a lot. Even though we lost, it was exciting. Much better than the Argentina game earlier in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bye, bye Miss American Pie

Unfortunately the United States has been knocked out of the World Cup, ah well they at least progressed further than Australia !

My wife mentioned to me that the final 8 teams were all winners of their groups!

my tips for the Quarter Finals are:

Brazil to defeat Columbia
France to defeat Germany
Holland to defeat Costa Rica
Argentina to defeat Belgium

My wife mentioned to me that the final 8 teams were all winners of their groups!

France to defeat Germany

Ditto the above except the France/Germany game. This is the hardest one to call but I think the Germans have the upper hand. However the way the results have gone so far who knows who will win

France to defeat Germany

Ditto the above except the France/Germany game. This is the hardest one to call but I think the Germans have the upper hand. However the way the results have gone so far who knows who will win

Who I want to win:

Columbia over Brazil
Germany over France
Costa Rica over the Netherlands
Belgium over Argentina

I would like to see Columbia go far, and don't really care for Brazil.
France actually has a good chance to beat Germany. Besides Klose, Germany doesn't have a real striker. But I like both France and Germany.
I would like Costa Rica to go far.
Argentina is boring and I think they suck. They have great players, but can't do all that great together. They haven't really dominated in the World Cup. Messi depends on Di Maria, and we saw last match how frustrating that can be.

Semi-Finals coming up, got 3 from 4 last round

Tipping Germany over Brazil & Argentina over Holland, even though I would like the Dutch to go through & win their maiden World Cup.

then in the Final I'll pick the Unified Germans to beat the Argies, so Germany to win their First World Cup as a united nation, neither east or west.

if my picks don't go through I will reaccess the form guide before the Grande Finale.

Both games are going to be very hard to call. Brazil have never really got started and being at home all the pressure is on them. On recent form the Germans are more than capable of getting a result. Likewise with ther other game there is not to pick between Argentina and holland and you might as well toss a coin as try and predict a winner in both games.

Am I dreaming or have Germany just scored their 5th goal. Someone please confirm.

Unbelievable, Germany 7 - Brasil 1, the Germans must have really taken their foot off the pedal in the 2nd half.
Seems like Brasil lost heart after Neymar was ruled out of the tournament.

That was a stunning match! To see Brazil defeated so heavily was actually quite funny at first, especially after the foul play involved in their last game against Columbia, but once the game was over I felt sorry for them as they were completely humiliated. I hope that Germany go on and win the tournament.

It has been a strange World Cup. The bigger teams have struggled to best the smaller teams, yet when the stronger teams play each other it becomes a rout.

The game brought back painful memories of a game I attended back in 1973. I left at half-time and haven't got over it yet. The Brazillians will never get over this. When Uruguay beat Brazil in the 1950 final, also in Brazil, it was considered a national disaster. This tournament was intended to put everything right as Brazil seemed to think that as hosts it was already won. After this, things will never be the same again.

Not quite the same... but I wonder if anyone saw the Australian rugby game where one player knocked down the other .. then one almost strangled the other
Seems some sportsmanship given way to a battlefield mentality

All over for the Dutch, they'll go home licking their wounds, probably there better off not making the Final as I can't see anyone beating the Germans & they've already lost 3 of them.

I've got the Black, Red, and Gold with the proud eagle on it flying from an improvised 10 foot (3 meter for our foreign readers) pvc flagpole in front of the house. I'll let you all know when I hear from code enforcement.

I'm still playing the Wilhelmus after the final game.

Bah. I hate to cheer for the Mofs, but simply can't bring myself to cheer for Argentina.

I thought the away shirts look better, though my local Rugby League team famously wears a red v on there jersey
similar to the German shirt.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back