World War 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hi, everyone! It has been a few years since I've been on this forum. I hope there aren't too many surprises!

Quick question for anyone who is interested in these things:
Can anyone recommend a book/article/whatever about the faith of WW2 pilots, particularly those in the Pacific? I would be especially thrilled if I could find a collection of their diaries, journals, letters, etc addressing questions of how they dealt with the daily possibility of death, and that sort of thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks! I'm taking notes on it. I'm thinking of writing on Christian kamikaze pilots and wondered about including anything from the other side. There is a really common perception that all the Japanese were pagans. In fact, a surprising number of kamikaze pilots were Christians and took their Bibles on their final flight. In fact, it was so common that I'm wondering if they were short-listed for the suicide missions due to their unpopular religious beliefs. Not much is translated about it though. There is a wonderful book in Japanese called "Sun and Shield" about a Christian kamikaze pilot--very sad, but very moving.

If anyone has any more ideas about resources, please keep them coming. I would love to read up on it from both angles.

My mentor Roy Blackwood was a WWII Pilot on an Aircraft Carrier. He mentions how he looked at death during this discussion and coming to Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back