Votes: 4 2.9%
  • RPW, EP with no instruments

Votes: 22 16.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy the Greek

Puritan Board Senior
I would like to survey the worship styles at the many churches represented on the PB.

I am assuming a distinction between the Normative Principle of worship and the Regulative Principle of Worship (RPW) -- as well as some minor variations within each.

If you are unfamiliar with the RPW in Reformed and Confessional churches, then you should probably choose between the first two options and make a note to read up on it. ;)

Last edited:
As far as the music goes at Fairmount ARP we usually begin before the Call to Worship with 2 or 3 "praise songs". We sing Hymns from the Red Trinity Hymnal and we also usually sing a Psalm from the BPS unaccompanied during the offering.

RPW We sing hymns and psalms accompanied by the piano. If we are especially blessed, we have a guitar instead!

Last edited:
RPW, Hymns, Psalm arrangements, Organ for hymn singing and most service music, piano for some preludes and offertories. Occasional other instruments for preludes/offertories (harp, flute, violin, handbells). Choral introits,occasional offertories.

RPW with hymns and psalms on the organ and piano

Aaron: EP = exclusive psalmody; RPW = Regulative Principle of Worship

I voted...

what my church does, but, I'm not sure yet on my position. Normative, contemporary.

I am not sure how you are using the normative/regulative distinction but we blend contemporary and hymns.

RPW, EP, no instruments. Acapella means: as in a chapel. :)

***My church practices Psalms, hymns, and the occasional praise chorus accompanied by a piano and organ. My preference is above.

Last edited:
RPW, non EP with instruments would prefer RPW with almost EP and fewer Hymns but that's just me.

In Sunday School we've been talking about worship. I thought a good distinction was made yesterday that explained why a lot of the contemporary music bugs me (not necessarily the style, which is subjective, but the words). So many songwriters write about their personal faith now, whereas traditional hymns write about the faith, as defined by solid doctrine.

This poll looks suspiciously like an attempt to redefine the RPW.
I refuse to call the practice of singing a mixture of psalms and uninspired hymns with the use of instruments consistent with the RPW.

Last edited:
This pole looks suspiciously like an attempt to redefine the RPW.
I refuse to call the practice of singing a mixture of psalms and uninspired hymns with the use of instruments consistent with the RPW.

I'm not attempting to redefine anything. I find folks who classify themselves in those various categories. :p Based on your comment, however, your choice should be clear. :cool:

This pole looks suspiciously like an attempt to redefine the RPW.

Well, it is a particular view of the RPW and I don't think anyone is trying to redefine anything here. There is a difference between refusing to call it such and just simply saying it is a view that many hold and asking who holds to it. It's just a poll.

Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual songs with an Organ, Piano, Guitar, Drums, Brass ensemble, and more to boot!

All done following a strict liturgy.

The subject of this thread is popular on the PB lately -- I'm new, it probably always has been. I've tried searching, and maybe I'm just too lazy to try every search combination and read through all the threads, but I was wondering if one of you could point me to a VERY GOOD EXEGETICAL case for EP. I voted RPW, because I believe that is my position. However, I would imagine that most who hold to EP would beg to differ with me. I'm not looking for a fight -- I'm admitting ignorance. I would just like to see the EP case made exegetically. Is there a link where I might find such a case?
Thanks.

The subject of this thread is popular on the PB lately -- I'm new, it probably always has been. I've tried searching, and maybe I'm just too lazy to try every search combination and read through all the threads, but I was wondering if one of you could point me to a VERY GOOD EXEGETICAL case for EP. I voted RPW, because I believe that is my position. However, I would imagine that most who hold to EP would beg to differ with me. I'm not looking for a fight -- I'm admitting ignorance. I would just like to see the EP case made exegetically. Is there a link where I might find such a case?
Thanks.

Read the OPC majority and minority reports on the subject for both sides.

Reports of the Committee on Song in Worship

RPW means more than the material of sung praise. It will determine how scripture is read, preaching and prayer are done, what else is added to public worship; e.g. liturgical calendar and if "holy" days are publicly acknowledged.

The practice of SRPC is unofficial EP (we only sing Psalms with I'm conducting worship, though there has been no decision to that effect by the session), with a keyboard to aid congregational singing. I can live with instrumentation as an aid to singing; though I'd prefer worship without.

My church holds to RPW-non EP with instrumentation. We sing traditional hymns and Psalms with the use of Piano and other instruments.

However, I personally tend to lean towards RPW- EP without instrumentation. :)

Normative, traditional, contemporary and psalms, all with piano accompaniment. Couldn't quite check that in the poll. :)

Read the OPC majority and minority reports on the subject for both sides.

Reports of the Committee on Song in Worship

RPW means more than the material of sung praise. It will determine how scripture is read, preaching and prayer are done, what else is added to public worship; e.g. liturgical calendar and if "holy" days are publicly acknowledged.

Thanks Glenn.

I'm aware of what RPW means. And I agree with it. I've just never come to the position of EP. I'm open to being changed by the scriptures, though, and that's why I'm looking for an exegetical (rather than historical, e.g.) argument. Thanks for the link. I'll give it a read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back