Votes: 65 47.8%
  • RPW, EP with instruments

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • RPW, EP with no instruments

Votes: 22 16.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our music is a hybrid. We have no musicians that play so we use a Gulbransen electronic player and MP3s & tapes. Some of the selections I am not to thrilled with. I personally like music to be rich in meaning/doctrine.

RPW, psalms, hymns, spiritual songs (contemporary), with instruments, acoustic drums, recorder (the instrument, not the piece of electronic equipment, keyboard, guitars.

In my church, we sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with the accompaniment of a piano only.

In our church: RPW. Psalms and hymns. Congregational singing is accompanied by piano.

But I am inclined to believe that a capella singing is the most consistent outworking of the RPW.

RPW Psalms No instruments...personal

though my church is RPW Psalms and Hymns and traditional instruments

Same as Beth Ellen's for personal preference and our church worship.

We have at our church what is known as Propensatory Psalmody, where the psalms are predominant with a good hymn sung every once in awhile. It's not what I'd prefer, but I am very thankful for elders who are so careful about worship.

My church holds to RPW-non EP with instrumentation. We sing traditional hymns and Psalms with the use of Piano and other instruments.

However, I personally tend to lean towards RPW- EP without instrumentation. :)

Same here...except my church only uses piano, not for every psalm or hymn. I'm hoping we actually segue at some point to EP, without instrumentation...there's still hope!

:)

In Sunday School we've been talking about worship. I thought a good distinction was made yesterday that explained why a lot of the contemporary music bugs me (not necessarily the style, which is subjective, but the words). So many songwriters write about their personal faith now, whereas traditional hymns write about the faith, as defined by solid doctrine.

:ditto:

Brother you took the words out of my mouth. Contemporary Christian music is for the most part overly emotional and devoid of any real teaching component. The theology and overall message of the older worship hymns is far superior.

Don't know anymore. Used to be RPW non-EP with instruments, but that appears to have changed. Today.

7-11 worship with an occasional hymn. ("7-11 worship" = choruses composed with 7 words and sung 11 times)

RPW. Mix of psalms, hymns (Trinity hymnal, mostly) and contemporary praise songs that the Session believes to convey sound doctrine. Accompaniment by keyboard, drums, guitar, bass.

chbrooking;

I've tried searching, and maybe I'm just too lazy to try every search combination and read through all the threads, but I was wondering if one of you could point me to a VERY GOOD EXEGETICAL case for EP. I voted RPW, because I believe that is my position. However, I would imagine that most who hold to EP would beg to differ with me. I'm not looking for a fight -- I'm admitting ignorance. I would just like to see the EP case made exegetically. Is there a link where I might find such a case?
Thanks.

Maybe these links will be helpful, I just did a quick search..

Exclusive Psalmody Homepage

"An Examination of Exclusive Psalmody" by Dr. Robert Morey

Thoughts on Exclusive Psalmody by Lee Irons

Exclusive Psalmody

Introduction

Jim,

I wish you had another category: RPW (more flexibly applied) with blended traditional and contemporary metric renderings of the psalms, hymns, praise songs with multiple and varied musical accompaniment.

I am EP no instruments, I think I would turn into a pharisee and judaizer if I were to cause division in say a PCA over it, as long as truth is being sung reverently then that is far better what most churches are doing nowadays! I guess I'm not actually Psalms only, because I believe you can sing any portion that is inspired, but I believe psalms should be the main thing sung on the Lords Day fo sho!

Even if We EP no instrumenters were wrong exegetically, I would still be EP with no instruments for practical reasons, consider the churches general blasphemous worship these days. I think it's necesary to incourage EP no instruments in every church that is normative and SEVERLEY ABUSES the privaledge in order to bring attention back to Christ instead of man centerdness.

I love all you non EPers out there though, we are completely unified in the ALL EFFICIENT Jesus Christ,
In Christ's mercy, Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back