Worst book(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot

Puritan Board Sophomore
Just out of curiosity, what's the worst theological book or books that you own? How or why did you get them?

I have some pretty awful ones. In fact, my wife convinced me to put some of them in our room under the bed so people wouldn't see them on our book shelves.

I think maybe the worst one that I have is "The Anointing" by Benny Hinn. I used to work with a couple of guys that watched Hinn, so when I saw one of his books in the goodwill for .10 cents, I bought it. I do that now and then to learn more about heretical teachings or teachers.

Can anyone beat Benny Hinn?

I have Benny Hinn's Good Morning Holy Spirit somewhere at my parents house...but I can plead ignorance as I bought it way back when I first became a Christian.

I'm sure I have more lousy stuff but that's all I can think of at the moment.

What Love Is This? by Dave Hunt
God's Great Gift by Donald Gee
Rekindled Flame by Steve Fry
The Prayer of Jabez by Bruce Wilkinson
The Power of Crying Out by Bill Gothard
Letters from a Skeptic by Greg Boyd
The Bible Code by Michael Drosnin
Revelation Unveiled by Tim LaHaye
Are We Living in the End Times? by Tim LaHaye
Preparing for Adolescence by James Dobson
The Case For Christ by Lee Strobel (sorry evidentialists!)
Bible Doctrine by P. C. Nelson
Teen Study Bible
Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem

...yeah, I've been through a whole lot of trash!

[Edited on 13-11-2004 by Me Died Blue]

I got the Works of Arminius for free as a gift. And I've got Finney's Systematic Theology, Memiors, and Lectures on Revival. I use them all for reference only.

I typed this up when I cleared my book shelves. Chris, you have NOTHING on me. :(

Soon
Nephilim
Joshua
Joshua and the Children
Joshua in the Holy Land
This present Darkness
Thunder in Paradise
ALL 12 Left Behind Titles * (First one is paper back 11 others are hard cover)
Number 4-22 of the KIDS "œLeft Behind" Series
Wake Up America- Tony Campolo
The Turning Tide- Pat Robertson
The Pressure is off- Larry Crabb
Who is my enemy- Rich Nathan
Your child and the New Age
Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow (classic)
Ravaged by the New Age
UFO´s in the New Age
Inside the New Age Nightmare
Seductions Exposed
Seeing the Unseen
Follow Me Prayer Walking Lessons
Handbook for Spiritual Warfare
Dealing with the Devil
Testing the spirits
Knowing the Secretes of God "“John Hagee

NOW THE MOTHERLOAD!

Satan is alive and well on planet earth
The Rapture (
Armageddon Appointment with destiny
The coming Economic Earthquake
Escape the coming night
Forshadows of wrath and redemption
Combat Faith
Planet Earth 2000AD
Time Line 2000
No Fear of the Storm
Are we living in the end times
Towards the 7th Millennium
Millennium
The new Millennium
Beginning of the end
Planet Earth
A planned deception
God´s Kingdom and the Utopian error
Apocalypse Code
Armageddon Oil and the Middle East
The truth about the lie
End Times Events
Jesus Final Warning "“Dr. David Jeramiah
Road to Armageddon

Now you can all see why I ask so many questions here and LOVE IT so much!

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
Teen Study Bible

Please elaborate on some of the less obvious ones. His charismania aside (and his premillennialism) what else do you not like about him? Don't get me wrong. I am moving more and more to Berkhof and Shedd but every now and then will look up Grudem. His biblio's at the end of each chapter are helpful.

Here's some more from my bad theology collection:

Global Peace - Dave Hunt
A Women Rides The Beast - Dave Hunt
Storm Warning - Billy Graham
The Lost Books of the Bible and the Forgotten Books of Eden
Christ's Object Lessons - Ellen G. White
Willmington's Guide to the Bible
Theology in the Wesleyan Spirit - Albert Outler
Election & Predestination - Samuel Fisk
The Late Great Planet Earth - Hal Lindsey

I also have a Ryrie & a Scofield Bible. :eek:

Originally posted by Finn McCool
Teen Study Bible

Please elaborate on some of the less obvious ones. His charismania aside (and his premillennialism) what else do you not like about him? Don't get me wrong. I am moving more and more to Berkhof and Shedd but every now and then will look up Grudem. His biblio's at the end of each chapter are helpful.

I agree. Someone should place a necklace around Grudem's neck that gives him a shock whenever he speaks about the Spirit or spiritual gifts - but he can bring it on male/female roles anyday!

Wow...looking at all these lists I see that I've read most of it. Thankfully most of it is sitting up in NY in my folks attic rather than clogging up space at my apartment. I'm actually embarrassed about it.

About the only bright spot I can see is that I was already sufficiently disgusted with pop-Christianity to not have wasted my time with LaHaye's sensationalist nonsense by the time it came out.

Tazer! Tazer! Give Grudem the tazer!

Ooo... ooo! :banana: I've got a big baddie:

New Age Bible Versions by Gail Riplinger, and I bought it because I thought at the time I might buy into that nonsense.

Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time : The Historical Jesus and the Heart of Contemporary Faith by Marcus Borg. This horrid work was something I chose off the required reading list for a New Testament class I took at a community college.

I also have 1-10 of the Left Behind books, the last ones in hardcover. I guess you can tell pretty much when my theology became reformed, since I quit buying the Left Behind books then. :D A woman I worked with got me started on them, and at the time I was fascinated with the idea that it could actually happen. Which also led me to buy Are We Living in the End Times?, by Tim LaHaye.

Cottonball,

Why does "Margery Kempe" come up on dozens of homosexual websites when I did a Google? What gives?

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
Cottonball,

Why does "Margery Kempe" come up on dozens of homosexual websites when I did a Google? What gives?

Good question! Margery Kempe was a woman who lived in fourteenth century England. She thought God was talking to her, so she ditched her husband to become chaste, and travelled around Europe telling people about her visions. Yeah, she was a bit of a nut, but her dedication is astounding.

Originally posted by Finn McCool
Teen Study Bible

The ones by Donald Gee and Steve Fry are classic Pentecostal spirituality, stressing the importance of Spirit-Baptism and hearing the "still, small voice." Dobson's always trash since it's based so much on secular psychology. Bible Doctrine by P. C. Nelson is a summary of the A/G 16 "fundamental truths." Teen Study Bible is an attempt to interpret the Bible and make it "relevant" to teens, which results in a hodge-podge of theological hermeneutics lacking a consistent worldview, and thus presenting a pop-Christianity to the teens who rely on it. As far as Grudem goes, I basically don't like him for the same reasons I don't care for Piper that much anymore - his charismania, his credobaptist outlook and his on-the-surface type of discussion and exegesis. He also seems to lean in the direction of "contemporary" services, which leads to an abandonment of RPW.

By the way, that list was by no means exhaustive! Just a sample.

Piper did a lot of work with Sovereign Grace Ministries, and he's slightly open to charismatic gifts. He doesn't take it as far as Grudem, though.

I might have to add Debating Calvinism. James White did a brilliant job, as usual, but Dave Hunt's vitriol made me want to vomit.

Between Heaven and Hell by Peter Kreeft.

Premise: John F. Kennedy, C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley all died on the same day (November 22, 1963) within hours of each hour. They meet in Limbo (Purgatory?) and compare their religious and philosophical world-views.

Talk about bad theology!

Larry Crabb

Houseparent,
I notice you list one of Larry Crabb's books, "The Pressure Is Off" as one of the baddies.

Do you, or anyone else, have any reason why Larry Crabb might be an example of bad theology?

I've read one of his books, "Shattered Dreams," and I thought it was very good. Perhaps I've overlooked something, or perhaps your criticism is specific to the "Pressure Is Off" book? I'd like to know because I would hate to keep recommending his books to people if there really is something problematic here.

The book of Mormon- Joseph Smith
the definition of "Mormon"?-someone whose nice personality is directly related with their stupidity

Prayer of Jabez- Bruce Wilkinson
the worst affliction ever placed upon Christendom since the persecution of Nero

PDL- (may his name and memory be obliterated)
Jesus: prophet, priest, and CEO

Al-Qur'an- Mohammed (co-authored by Lucifer)
does this book have any coherence whatsoever? utterly valueless, even as literature
what kind of weak God is that? serve me to 51% of your capacity, and then (post-mortem) have sex forever? sounds like Mohammed was appealing to the sensual nature of the Arabs in order to unite the tribes for war.

The Bible, the Qur'an and Science-Dr. Maurice Bucaille
the most idiotic Muslim apologetic I've ever read

The Reformed Reader, Vol. II-various
Barth Sucks!

Left Behind-Tim Lahaye
this Behind needs an enema

Transformed Temperments-Tim Lahaye
Spirit Controlled Temperment-Tim Lahaye
both are psychological nonsense
(must be my choleric personality again)

The Case for Christ-Lee Strobel:barfy:
even the atheists in hell are laughing at this one

Revelation Unveiled-Tim Lahaye
more like Revelation Derailed

The Great Escape- Jack van Impe
don't you mean The Great Mistake?

and, as James White suggested:

The Prayer of Jabez for Purpose Driven People Left Behind

Last edited:
Originally posted by alwaysreforming
Houseparent,
I notice you list one of Larry Crabb's books, "The Pressure Is Off" as one of the baddies.

Do you, or anyone else, have any reason why Larry Crabb might be an example of bad theology?

I've read one of his books, "Shattered Dreams," and I thought it was very good. Perhaps I've overlooked something, or perhaps your criticism is specific to the "Pressure Is Off" book? I'd like to know because I would hate to keep recommending his books to people if there really is something problematic here.

I will have to get back to you. I know I have some comments on Crabb somewhere!

In summary, Crabb's model effectively denies the Biblical teachings of: the denial of self (a man-centered model rather than a Christ-centered one); the distinction between the regenerate and the unregenerate; the means of grace as having practical efficacy in the life of the believer; the sufficiency of Scripture; Scriptural foundation (versus a psychological foundation); and the Holy Spirit's essential role for empowering and grace in the life of the believer. It is primarily a psychological system of unconscious needs that supposedly motivate human behavior, which system is derived from Freudian and humanistic/Maslowian psychology with its hierarchy of needs, with greatest emphasis on so-called emotional needs, the fulfillment of which result in a sense of personal worth and psychological healthiness. When needs are not met, according to Crabb, they produce intense pain and sorrow -- sometimes without the person even knowing it. Counseling under Crabb's model takes the form of delving into the unconscious by peeling away the "self-protective layers" (i.e., "defense mechanisms") and getting at the real pain and sorrow of unmet needs (many of which began in childhood), then giving counsel on how to meet those needs in a more spiritually healthy way. This inward and rearward focus is far from Biblical (cf. Phil. 3:13-14). Instead of trying to "meet" our natural human "needs," we are to set our hearts on things above and put to death whatever belongs to our sinful nature (Col. 3:1-5).

Just about anything written by Dave Hunt
Calvinism, Arminianism & The Word Of God A Calvary Chapel Perspective By Chuck Smith
Calvinism vs. Arminianism , by Larry Taylor
Late Great Planet Earth, Hal Lindsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back