Worst book you've read? (Grenz, for me!)

Discussion in 'The Literary Forum' started by CatechumenPatrick, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

Another John R. Rice book that nobody needs to waste their time on is:

Predestined For Hell? No! :barfy:

2. jaybird0827

jaybird0827 PuritanBoard Honor Roll

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No sir, in that case I would expect you to pay me to take it off your hands.

3. Stephen

Stephen Puritan Board Junior

I like your new avatar, Randy. Perhaps you could manufacture it and sell it for profit. I would certainly buy one. :lol:

4. Stephen

Stephen Puritan Board Junior

Late Great Planet Earth by that greatest scholar of all time, Hal Lindsey.

5. InevitablyReformed

InevitablyReformed Puritan Board Freshman

Rev,

I think I know why you put these in here, but worse than Purpose Driven Lifeor something by Osteen? Given the mass circulation of the Warren, Osteen, Hinn garbage--aren't they far more misleading? I guess what I'm asking is: Are widely circulated Osteen books worse than books by Norman Shepherd that 98 % of people in the world have never and would never pick up? Just curious. Thanks.:gpl:

6. Blue Tick

Blue Tick Puritan Board Graduate

:lol:

[​IMG]

7. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

:rofl: Now that's sarcasm. :rolleyes:

8. hollandmin

hollandmin Puritan Board Freshman

I was given a copy of The Believer's Authority by Kenneth Hagin peeehuuuu!! This guy is living proof that anyone can get people to follow them

I also read a book by his son called Executing Basics of Healing that one was worse than his fathers, I mean, it stinketh!!!!!

9. Reformed Covenanter

:wow: That is a bit of an extreme statement. Especially as the book is endorsed by RC Sproul and John Macarthur.

10. Reformed Covenanter

Hal Lindsay bears a striking resemblance to Joe Stalin. :eek:

[​IMG]

11. Blue Tick

:lol:

12. Grymir

Grymir Puritan Board Graduate

Dick and Jane. Did more to hinder my intellectual development than anything else.

The book of mormon was by far the most boring book I've ever read. Boring!!!! Boring!!! I had to read it because I was working with a bunch of mormons and I wanted to talk to them about their god. Did I say it was boring?

13. Pilgrim's Progeny

Pilgrim's Progeny Puritan Board Sophomore

14. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

I almost forgot about Brennan Manning. I thought I had repressed the memory of reading this book, The Ragamuffin Gospel.

15. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

More than a bit.

16. Puritan Sailor

Puritan Sailor Puritan Board Doctor

Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament & Contemporary Contexts
    by Joel B. Green and Mark D. Baker

I had to read this for a Christology class. It's basically the newest attempt to deny substitutionary atonement with a post-modern twist. They completely misrepresent covenant theology. Horrible scholarship... :2cents:

17. MICWARFIELD

MICWARFIELD Puritan Board Freshman

Amen to that!

18. danmpem

danmpem Puritan Board Junior

Manning has been recommended to be by some of my Reformed friends. Is he really that bad?

19. Grymir

Grymir Puritan Board Graduate

The absolute worst is Barth, anything by Barth. John Hagee is more interesting than Barth. Probably more biblical too!

20. JohnOwen007

JohnOwen007 Puritan Board Sophomore

Speaking of boring, what about the Koran. Man that just about killed me trying to get through it! Perhaps that's what some want: dead infidels from reading the Koran.

21. Pilgrim's Progeny

Pilgrim's Progeny Puritan Board Sophomore

Every time I read your posts I hear Rush screaming at me, it is hard to seperate it in my mind, it is like, "Rush, your a ranting calvinist".:lol: His inflection is in every post, makes for interesting threads.

:oops::offtopic:

22. toddpedlar

toddpedlar Iron Dramatist Staff Member

From what I've read of him, yes, yes, and ... yes. He's a Catholic mystical priest, for one thing - that ought to set you on your guard before you hear anything about what he actually writes. He teaches that man is basically good (but flawed), that a key (if not THE) way to reach God is through essentially an Eastern, mystical meditative prayer complete with mantras, and rejects any semblance of an orthodox view concerning the necessity of Christ's shed blood on the cross. He has some shocking views concerning what he would term "liberty" but which is no less than license.

Don't touch him with a ten-foot pole. He seems to me to be just another "cool" cat that emergent and new agey-mystical folks like. I am surprised to hear that you have "Reformed" people suggesting him to you... I'd talk with them about what they find so attractive, and warn them about picking up "the next new thing."

23. Timothy William

Timothy William Puritan Board Junior

I remembered another one - The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale. My mother made me read it when I was about 15 - apparently my attitude was too negative. While she may have had a point about my attitude, reading that book certainly didn't help. I wasn't a believer at that stage, and wasn't converted until I was 19, but I could already see that the nonsense Peale was peddling wasn't the Gospel, nor did it make any logical sense. Unfortunately the book turned me into more of a cynic than I already was.

24. Blue Tick

The Coup de Grace for me.

Gotta love the cover! Boo! :eek:

Here comes the Boogey Man!

[​IMG]

25. Devin

Devin Puritan Board Sophomore

Makes you think Sproul is hiding under your bed at night or something.:lol:

26. staythecourse

staythecourse Puritan Board Junior

Two books in Highschool

Books that I should not have read, just not healthy for me at the time, were imposed on me in high school: Flowers for Algernon and Catcher in the Rye.

I recently had to read some weird books at seminary in my Ethics course, one of which was Nickel and Dimed (Not getting by in America) and Wendell Berry's Sex, Economy, Freedom, and Community: Eight Essays

Neither were believers and I spent good hard cash for theology and had to read this tripe. One was on being broke in the US and the other was (I guess) Christians have to be communal.

27. staythecourse

staythecourse Puritan Board Junior

John, I like the five ominous figures on the cover. One for each point I take it?

28. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Professor

He needs to keep writing - he's got all those alimony checks to write. He's been married - what? 5 times (at last count)?

Every time Lindsey sets pen to paper he sets the serious study of eschatology back ten years!

29. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Professor

I saw the movie version - National Lampoon's Summer Vacation.

30. Blue Tick

[​IMG]

:lol: Yes, indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.