Worst Historical Movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raderag

Puritan Board Sophomore
All this talk about the civil war made me think of some really bad historical movies.

#1 all time .... Titanic
2. Cold Mountain.
3. Pearl Harbor.

Braveheart
The Scarlet Letter
The Patriot
Windtalkers

These are just a few that really stick out, there's many more.

Originally posted by Plimoth Thom
Braveheart
The Scarlet Letter
The Patriot
Windtalkers

Braveheart! Worst! Why I ought to ... @#@#@#$
:p

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Braveheart
The Scarlet Letter
The Patriot
Windtalkers

Git 'im, Ryan!!!

Braveheart
The Scarlet Letter
The Patriot
Windtalkers

Braveheart would be an ok movie if they changed the names of the characters and made no pretense of portraying historical events. As it is, the film dishonors the memory of brave men and makes them look like clowns.:mad: I am a descendant of a long line of Douglases, there were Douglases that fought beside both Wallace and Bruce.

This is a more accurate interpretation of what the Scottish knights including Wallace, Bruce and Douglas would have looked like:

1298-m.jpg

They didn't look like this clown:

Braveheart.jpg

No Scot wore dreadlocks, kilts or face paint in the late 13th early 14th century AD. The blatant disregard for any attempt at historical accuracy in "Bravehaeart" is disgusting. :barfy: They might as well have dressed the charcters in Civil War uniforms, painted their faces with 18th century American Indian warpaint, and armed them with MI Garands and then claim to be portraying late 13th century Scottish knights. They just look stupid! "Braveheart" stands alone as the worst movie in terms of historical accuracy in the entire history of movie making! And I haven't even started to describe the errors in the events portrayed. It is pure fantasy.

Braveheart
The Scarlet Letter
The Patriot
Windtalkers

Braveheart would be an ok movie if they changed the names of the characters and made no pretense of portraying historical events. As it is, the film dishonors the memory of brave men and makes them look like clowns.:mad: I am a descendant of a long line of Douglases, there were Douglases that fought beside both Wallace and Bruce.

This is a more accurate interpretation of what the Scottish knights including Wallace, Bruce and Douglas would have looked like:

1298-m.jpg

They didn't look like this clown:

Braveheart.jpg

No Scot wore dreadlocks, kilts or face paint in the late 13th early 14th century AD. The blatant disregard for any attempt at historical accuracy in "Bravehaeart" is disgusting. :barfy: They might as well have dressed the charcters in Civil War uniforms, painted their faces with 18th century American Indian warpaint, and armed them with MI Garands and then claim to be portraying late 13th century Scottish knights. They just look stupid! "Braveheart" stands alone as the worst movie in terms of historical accuracy in the entire history of movie making! And I haven't even started to describe the errors in the events portrayed. It is pure fantasy.

Wouldn't movies be more entertaining if we didn't know history.

I have to say though that Braveheart was a very good movie for its entertainment value.

I don't know if it quite fits in thi category, but that mini-series on "Noah" was sooo bad that it was actually funny!

Thom:

Do you have Robert the Bruce's red heart on your family crest?

I just read something last night actually from my son's library book about the Douglas Family and Robert the Bruce´s ambition to go to Jerusalem.

Sorry, Thom.

Gladiator is the worst historical movie ever. (Although I enjoyed the "movie" aside from the history). They did not just butcher appearance, but reality. The thought of going back to the Republic in late 3rd century is beyond laughable.

Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
Thom:

I just read something last night actually from my son's library book about the Douglas Family and Robert the Bruce´s ambition to go to Jerusalem.

Yes, the Heart of Bruce is on the Clan Douglas crest. James Douglas was one of Robert Bruce, King of Scots closest companions. When Bruce died, Douglas was entrusted with his heart in a silver casket to take on Crusade. Douglas and several companions traveled to Spain in 1330. At Seville, Alfonso entrusted a division to Douglas in the campaign against the Moors at Granada. Outside of Teba de Ardales the armies met in battle, the Moors feined a retreat and Douglas pursued. He became cut off from his forces and according to tradition when he realized he could not escape Douglas took Bruce's heart and flung it ahead of him into the midst of the Moors, crying: "Forward, brave heart, as ever thou were wont to do, and Douglas will follow thee or die". That same tradition tells us that when Douglas' body was found after the battle, it was ringed by dead Moors.

So today the Clan Douglas Society of North America crest bears the flying heart of Bruce and the word "Forward":

nabadge.gif

Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
Thom:

Yes, the Heart of Bruce is on the Clan Douglas crest. James Douglas was one of Robert Bruce, King of Scots closest companions. When Bruce died, Douglas was entrusted with his heart in a silver casket to take on Crusade. Douglas and several companions traveled to Spain in 1330. At Seville, Alfonso entrusted a division to Douglas in the campaign against the Moors at Granada. Outside of Teba de Ardales the armies met in battle, the Moors feined a retreat and Douglas pursued. He became cut off from his forces and according to tradition when he realized he could not escape Douglas took Bruce's heart and flung it ahead of him into the midst of the Moors, crying: "Forward, brave heart, as ever thou were wont to do, and Douglas will follow thee or die". That same tradition tells us that when Douglas' body was found after the battle, it was ringed by dead Moors.

So today the Clan Douglas Society of North America crest bears the flying heart of Bruce and the word "Forward":

nabadge.gif

Very interesting, thank you very much.

I will have to share with my wife tonight about the conversation I had with a son of Douglas. My son is only three so even though I read about it in his library book, the information does not register as deep to him. He likes the pictures of all the soldiers and knights. I also noticed in his book that the Scottish knights, including Wallace, were much more civil looking and not the cavemen from the movie.
:book2:

Gladiator is the worst historical movie ever. (Although I enjoyed the "movie" aside from the history). They did not just butcher appearance, but reality. The thought of going back to the Republic in late 3rd century is beyond laughable.
Some goofy and ahistorical stuuf in there. One redeeming point, according to a classics professor at Tulane, the opening battle (Romans against Germans) scene is very accurate.

Originally posted by Scott
Some goofy and ahistorical stuuf in there. One redeeming point, according to a classics professor at Tulane, the opening battle (Romans against Germans) scene is very accurate.

Yes it is. I can say that after having read account of many battles in Tacitus, Livy, Caesar and others, chills ran down my spine watching it. It was incredible.

I thought Rome was not know for using arrows, though. When did they start using arrows on that scale? BTW, I still covet your classical education!

[Edited on 1-26-2006 by Scott]

Originally posted by Scott
I thought Rome was not know for using arrows, though. When did they start using arrows on that scale? BTW, I still covet your classical education!

[Edited on 1-26-2006 by Scott]

Romans always had archers in their armies, but usually they were auxilia or allied troops from neighboring allies/conquered territories. the ballista were fearsome in that scene!

I remember one historicist dealing with the issue of whether the rider of the apocolypse with a bow could be the Roman Empire. Some were arguing that it is not a good symbol b/c Rome was not known for its use of bows.

My understanding of Roman combat is that they used short, thrusting swords (the gladius) and javelines (called a pila or something like that). I have not heard much about use of arrows in recent readings on Roman combat.

The Patriot

WARNING SPOILER!!!!!!!!

Ditto. While I like the idea of what it Gibson was trying to do, he could have done a lot better. It needed More backwoodS swamp-fighting. While the burning of the church was probably accurate (many presbyterian churches were burned by the brits because the Brits rightly saw the presbyterians as teh logical point of resistance to tyranny), I could have done without it in this movie.

Secondly, the resemblance between Francis Marion and Benjamin Martin is very thin.

[Edited on 1--29-06 by Draught Horse]

"The Kingdom of Heaven." :banghead: My wife & I made the mistake of going to the theaters to see it -- the special effects were well done, but all for naught. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back