Would be Internet theologians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformingstudent

Puritan Board Junior
I have a question concerning those on the Internet who like to think of themselves as teachers of theology but have no real education and have only recently come into the Reformed faith. I have been seeing lately(Not here in the PB) many new converts to Calvinism (whether they have been converted to Christ or not is not up to me to judge, I just know what I see)Who think that they know or understand it all and want to teach others or try to teach what they think they already know. My question is then, does James exhortation apply to those on the Internet just as much as to those within the church? Jas 3:1 My brothers, do not be many teachers, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. If you want an example of what I am saying go into Yahoo groups and you will see groups dealing with theology run by people , some of which don't even have a church home and like to think that they are too Reformed in their theology to sit under anyone they consider to be inferior to themselves.

I have been in the Reformed faith for many years now but I would never presume to teach anyone as I am still learning myself, hence the nic, ReformingStudent. I worry about those who think that they have a calling to teach but don't have the credentials to back it up. That is one reason among many I like the PB here as I know that there are many qualified teachers and pastors here on this forum who do know a thing or two about theology and don't just get their teaching from the Internet itself.

Sorry the fonts on that last post was so small. I tried to adjust it but could not edit it. For those like me who need glasses to read, Sorry.

Tom,

Does the admonition in James 3 apply to those who assume the role of a teacher? Let me answer that question with scripture.

Matthew 12:36 36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

The word for "idle" means, "to be free from labor." Basically, a word given without knowing what it means. I would counsel Christians who are internet savvy to consider the source of the teaching they receive. The PB is grounded in the word of God as explained in the confessions. Even though the WCF and LBCF disagree on doctrines like baptism, they are agreed in most major areas. This gives us a solid foundation and a safety net that guards the teaching received here.

Cage stage.

Anyone who converted later in life or knows someone who has knows what I'm talking about.

Someone who is brought to an understanding of Calvinism later in life immediately enters the "cage stage".

This is the stage where the budding Reformed person feels the absolute neccessity to debate everyone in sight concerning the issues of predestination and election. They feel it is their duty to educate everyone around them about Calvinism and convince them of its truth. They are normally obnoxious about it, to the point that everyone around them wishes they could be placed in a cage for a year or two until they calm down and get some wisdom.

Cage stage.

Anyone who converted later in life or knows someone who has knows what I'm talking about.
Cage Stage

When you first become a TULIP and brow-beat everyone around you, including in TULIP-believing circles. Basically, you are a know-it-all and think that your opinion deserves the highest consideration regardless of how impulsive or uncharitable it might be. Also, you think TULIP is the only thing that matters doctrinally - everything else is up for grabs in whatever form is desired, because "that isn't important".

Someone who is brought to an understanding of Calvinism later in life immediately enters the "cage stage".

This is the stage where the budding Reformed person feels the absolute neccessity to debate everyone in sight concerning the issues of predestination and election. They feel it is their duty to educate everyone around them about Calvinism and convince them of its truth. They are normally obnoxious about it, to the point that everyone around them wishes they could be placed in a cage for a year or two until they calm down and get some wisdom.
:ditto:

Yeah, I basically got run out of a discussion group on Facebook by a Liberty University student who was brought to understand Calvinism. I had been studying it and theology in general for 2 years already, he had been studying it for 6 months. Apparently, in 6 months, he learned enough to deserve absolute deference in all discussions and determine that I was basically a whining liar who faked being wounded by his severely unwarranted character defamations when I disagreed with him on some very minor issue publicly.

It was a BLAST! Not really, but it drove me out of there where people feed on muck and in here where meat is served.

I suppose some of my unsaved and cultural-Christian friends thought I was obnoxious when I first came to faith at age 23, but I went about 8 years thinking everybody truly saved was Calvinistic. I think I'd been a Christian about 8 years even before I knew what an Arminian was, or what the difference was. But then again, a lot of stuff was and still is over my head.

thanks.gif
, guys!

Yeah, I basically got run out of a discussion group on Facebook by a Liberty University student who was brought to understand Calvinism....

So, Andrew, did you go there in undergraduate school, or was this solely on Facebook?

I wonder how they're doing now that ole Jerry is no longer with us. :detective:

No, this was on the internet. Jerry never seemed to be that guy's problem. He hated Ergun Caner. Hated.

He he, CAGE stage.:lol:

But to the OP, being degreeless doesn't prohibit them from sharing scriptural truths over blogs, message boards, or any other internet medium. I've met some people online who just read like mad. By talking to them I would almost be positive they had some sort of seminary training.

Once you read the WCF and the proof texts, you're an instant theologian! You didn't know that?

I was one of those "young Turks". Now I'm an old Turk.

:p

Within the Reformed world, a phrase which more of us should be aware of is 'cage stage.' Whenever someone comes into new-found truth (and this often happens with those first coming to embrace Reformed theology), the phrase refers to that period of time where the new (and usually young) convert should be locked up in a cage. That period of time is usually about two years. Of course, there are some pitiful cases that should never be let out, and there are many more evangellyfish who do not ever need to be locked up. But cage stagers, however many of them there are, can do a lot of damage. Ironically, they do much to make the theology they profess to love obnoxious to outsiders. Paul did teach, unambiguously, the doctrine of election. But he also told the Colossians, as the elect of God, to put on tender mercies. ~ Douglas Wilson, Hither and Yon

I have to say that while I didn't do this - I sort of wish I had. It would have been a nice blow to my pride - which I constantly need. But, from my experience, after about 2 years the Lord has seasoned me in gracefulness enough to not beat people over the head with the Bible. I've experienced a lot of fruit in being a nicer Calvinist in showing people the doctrines of grace. I've also made some good friends along the way.

My question is then, does James exhortation apply to those on the Internet just as much as to those within the church?

I think so. Currently I have asked myself, if I put in as much effort into reading the Scripture as I have into debating 'theology' would I be in a better place now spiritually? "Yes" was the reply! :oops:

Guilty as charged! And, it does expose pride. Still having pride exposed...

Seminary training can do the same thing. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back