Would like some assistance here please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My equation for mental illness:

Depravity + Adversity = Mental Illness.

I ask myself. if this had happened to Jesus or had been a part of His upbringing would He have reacted this way?

Meg,
What about mentally retared children if thats considered a mental illness then how can fit your simple defintion to them? Or others.

Mental retardedness...or rather more precisely the developmentally disabled. That is a physical/biological condition. Granted it's the development of the brain...but it affects the abilities of learning and functioning. It's not an emotional or psychological state that shifts...medicine doesn't make them more capable or cover up symptoms. It's the difference between being born with a deformed arm and having a mood swing (and I'm not trying to take mood swings lightly...I've seen severe cases of this as well).

I agree with that. I probably came accross the wrong way. I just thought Meg's definetion was overly simplified. Alot of the times someone including myself cant help what they are thinking or their mood normally. Ive started taking SAMe but its a longer and harder process than for someone who does not have this problem.

And quit honeslty if it were not for knowing Jesus Christ and His grace, and a loving family(mom+grandma) I probably would have killed myself by now.

I agree with that. I probably came accross the wrong way. I just thought Meg's definetion was overly simplified. Alot of the times someone including myself cant help what they are thinking or their mood normally. Ive started taking SAMe but its a longer and harder process than for someone who does not have this problem.

I do agree that some ppl struggle much more in this area than others and shifting out of these things are more difficult than for the average person. Thank you for recognizing the difference...I have a developmentally disabled half-brother. He is 17 now and will never be more than 12yrs in his abilities and I have known others the same way.

And quit honeslty if it were not for knowing Jesus Christ and His grace, and a loving family(mom+grandma) I probably would have killed myself by now.

It's amazing how He carries us through the hardest times. When in the darkest moments, we realize it's all Him and none of ourselves.

LadyFlynt,
Im sad to hear this about your brother. At my church when I worked in the youth group I helped take care of a developmentally disabled youth. It was a great privilige to do so.

My bad, I was not referring to the developmentally disabled, or to those who have a chemical imbalance, or who have been brain-injured. I'm referring to strictly mental disorders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back