Would You Change Jobs If...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS116

Puritan Board Freshman
What are some circumstances that you would cause you to switch from one job to another job that pays less? I know everyone is different, some of us do not have the luxury of switching jobs based on interest because of family,necessities and debt.

I recently got a job a month ago at sams club, it pays 8 bucks an hr. It's pretty cool, it's retail so go figure with that...

I basically just got offered a job yesterday at a christian afterschool/summer day care and they would like me to come in maybe Thursday if it's official.

Here are the pros and cons of both jobs I weighed out

-Sams Club

Pros:
-Sunday's Off
-50 cent more pay and more frequent raises
-able to move over to another position
-Free Sams Club card! :)
-somewhat comfortable work environment

-Cons:

-Not really flexible around school and extracurricular activities (they allow you to change or request to rearrange your hours but get quite upset if you do.)
-less time to do school work,I get off a 9pm or 9:30 just about everyday which only leaves me only about 3 hours of homework,test and study time before the next day, I have class 8am-10:50am and go in to work at 12:00pm
-Did I mention the hectic work schedule? :)

Christian Daycare

Pros:
-Work with kids and encourages me to share my faith!
-Excellent schedule around school which enables me to add more classes to finish up at community college.
-I get to share bible stories and other christian literature(of my choice) with the kids.
-Weekends off, which means more time to serve in areas of the needs in my church
-Get of at 6pm each day! Which means more time to study on school work and I can finally make it to bible study,WCF and WSC study groups hosted by my church thursday nights!
Cons:

-I've never worked at a daycare, (but am willing to learn!)
-Pays less and gives less hours(tough for when I want to pick up some hours)
-No real room for pay increase

Both jobs have their ups and downs, pros and cons, I am seeking counsel from the my pastor and my closest godly friends and most importantly from God in prayer.

Im looking for some helpful insight, feel free to drop some advice!

I would put school work before short term income - if you can afford to do so. Working in a Christian environment would be good - but you might do more for the Lord in a shop if that is God's will for you.

I work in child care, I have been for a good four plus years at a "christian center".
Yes, a Christian center will have some focus on the word of God, however depending on the church it will be more culture and weak in thought. Nothing like Puritan child rearing. Keeping in mind, parents will not change, they may not even be Christians.

Example, I work at a Baptist (Non reformed) child care center. I have children who do not know the gospel (which comes from parents teachings) I have kids that come from Catholic backgrounds. (So, once more the lack of gospel parenting) I have kids whose parents are culture Christians. So yes, the word of God can be spoken to these little ones, and you being a Christian reformed male will have an impact.

I have drilled praying into my students from day one, now many of them by God's spirit are praying along side of me in class group prayer. I have been bold to my catholic students and told them Christ is the head of the church and not the Pope. They know that lesson well.

So yes you can do good in spreading the word, but this brings me to my next point.

POINT 2 Parents
You will never be like a parent to the kids, you may have them for more hours than most parents a week. From my time in child care, I have grown to not really care a whole lot of beans for some parents who take parenting as a joke. (Yes, my pride here is sinful and I need to work on it) Being as how you are young, (I am young too, 23) you will only be a kid in the parents eyes. Respect is not given, its rarely earned, and the communication between parents and child care workers is awful.
No matter how hard you try, sometimes a brick wall will always be a brick wall.

POINT 3
You may be the only male working there. Its not a great position for a man in the long run if there is no advancement of promotion. (I would work in child care for a state program that over seas other centers. You can advance in a child career that way)

Point 4
Christians are some of the worst gossipers. I can't tell you how sick I am of my own behavior and that of my authorities/ co-workers. The gossip is terrible, everyone feels they have a right to be a voice in someones life. Trust me when I say, not all of your co-workers will be Christian. Not all of the church will be Christian. Trust me even more when I say I almost guarantee unless its a Reformed Church, they will certainly not be on the same wave link as you.

I'm not trying to come off as reformed Christians are better, because we are not. I am saying there is a difference between how Reformed Jack views work, the world, education and the Lord, VS how non Reformed Jack views work, life, education, the Lord.

Keep that in mind.

Point 5
I have not seen a raise in three years and have some education in this field plus experience, plus being a man. The only time I see gratitude is at Christmas when I get a bonus of $50.00 and a staff dinner.

In short, the field is great because kids bring life, and you can speak to them. But the politics of child care, Christian or not is not Christian.

I would also advise you as a male not to seek that profession unless you plan to work your way up, which you can't do under non profit centers.

I did mention many of the bad, because I do not want this field to come off as O its Christian when sin is just as or even more rampant than a secular field.

However as a student my self, I love being able to place more time in school than work; but now that I have a girl friend who I desire to marry, less hours, less money, I can't marry her right now. I make less than a 1,000 a month during the school year. You can't really make it work for your self much less a wife.

Just keep that in mind to how many hours you work now, plus the benefits you get of being promoted.

Your choice.

I hope I have helped, or at least painted a true image.

Can you switch to part time at Sam's and switch your availability to just Saturdays and maybe two weeknights (non-Bible study nights) of your choosing, explaining that it's just for the summer because you want to take on a second job? What will happen in the fall with the summer camp/after school care?
I have worked at a summer camp and it was a blast--exhausting, but a blast nonetheless. But I was a teacher so my summer was otherwise free. In this economy it might be wiser to keep a job that pays more, lasts longer, and will be there for you for a while, which is why I'd want to go the part-time route--keep my job for the fall but have some fun in the summer with the other job, too.

What are you going to college for?

What about benefits & health care? You look like a healthy young guy, but I'd imagine Sam's Club would offer a good health insurance program as compared with a daycare. Just something to think about.

If that's not something you're concerned about, it sounds like the daycare is the better option in terms of being able to focus on your schoolwork, which should take priority.

Which do you think your future employers would want to see on a resume? (If, as someone else mentions, the choice doesn't interfere with completing your education in a reasonable time?)

Hello all, thanks for the input!

I just got home from touring the other job and observing the classrooms. I really liked it, I was kind of nervous with being in authority over the kids. But, the guy said onc start working it gets some taking to get used to.

There is a lot of posts I want to respond to, but I have to get work done for hw due at 12am.

I would like to say sams club is not a good job if you do anything outside of work. They purposely have few workers with long shifts to save money. With my new hours I cannot complete school in a timely fashion.I tried adjusting my schedule but they said I'm stuck with it basically.

The Daycamp is all year long. I get a good amount of hours that are flexible to handle school work and other things, including rest I've been kinda drained at sams club, also I wish to teach secondary schooling so this could benefit me in the future

I work in child care, I have been for a good four plus years at a "christian center".
Yes, a Christian center will have some focus on the word of God, however depending on the church it will be more culture and weak in thought. Nothing like Puritan child rearing. Keeping in mind, parents will not change, they may not even be Christians.

Example, I work at a Baptist (Non reformed) child care center. I have children who do not know the gospel (which comes from parents teachings) I have kids that come from Catholic backgrounds. (So, once more the lack of gospel parenting) I have kids whose parents are culture Christians. So yes, the word of God can be spoken to these little ones, and you being a Christian reformed male will have an impact.

I have drilled praying into my students from day one, now many of them by God's spirit are praying along side of me in class group prayer. I have been bold to my catholic students and told them Christ is the head of the church and not the Pope. They know that lesson well.

So yes you can do good in spreading the word, but this brings me to my next point.

POINT 2 Parents
You will never be like a parent to the kids, you may have them for more hours than most parents a week. From my time in child care, I have grown to not really care a whole lot of beans for some parents who take parenting as a joke. (Yes, my pride here is sinful and I need to work on it) Being as how you are young, (I am young too, 23) you will only be a kid in the parents eyes. Respect is not given, its rarely earned, and the communication between parents and child care workers is awful.
No matter how hard you try, sometimes a brick wall will always be a brick wall.

POINT 3
You may be the only male working there. Its not a great position for a man in the long run if there is no advancement of promotion. (I would work in child care for a state program that over seas other centers. You can advance in a child career that way)

Point 4
Christians are some of the worst gossipers. I can't tell you how sick I am of my own behavior and that of my authorities/ co-workers. The gossip is terrible, everyone feels they have a right to be a voice in someones life. Trust me when I say, not all of your co-workers will be Christian. Not all of the church will be Christian. Trust me even more when I say I almost guarantee unless its a Reformed Church, they will certainly not be on the same wave link as you.

I'm not trying to come off as reformed Christians are better, because we are not. I am saying there is a difference between how Reformed Jack views work, the world, education and the Lord, VS how non Reformed Jack views work, life, education, the Lord.

Keep that in mind.

Point 5
I have not seen a raise in three years and have some education in this field plus experience, plus being a man. The only time I see gratitude is at Christmas when I get a bonus of $50.00 and a staff dinner.

In short, the field is great because kids bring life, and you can speak to them. But the politics of child care, Christian or not is not Christian.

I would also advise you as a male not to seek that profession unless you plan to work your way up, which you can't do under non profit centers.

I did mention many of the bad, because I do not want this field to come off as O its Christian when sin is just as or even more rampant than a secular field.

However as a student my self, I love being able to place more time in school than work; but now that I have a girl friend who I desire to marry, less hours, less money, I can't marry her right now. I make less than a 1,000 a month during the school year. You can't really make it work for your self much less a wife.

Just keep that in mind to how many hours you work now, plus the benefits you get of being promoted.

Your choice.

I hope I have helped, or at least painted a true image.

Sonny,

You have a lot of good insight on this job, although I am not looking for a career because I am a college transfer so I don't plan to be at either job here for too long. Anyway, I am about to PM you to get some more info on this stuff I appreciate the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back