Wrestle in prayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it mean to wrestle in prayer?
I have not seen good satisfactory answers where ever I look.
I think a great illustration (one of several) that would shed light on your question would be David’s Prayer for the life of his child with Bethsheba. 2 Samuel 12.

Simply put, Prayer is our speaking with the Lord. Wrestling is struggling with something. So .... when we struggle with actual events (difficult circumstances) or theological truths or sinfulness and then we discuss these struggles with the Lord and we express our earnest struggle with this before the Lord in prayer..... may equal wrestling in prayer.

Another quick read from Ligonier
https://www.ligonier.org/blog/prayer-warriors-weapon/

An alternate answer that might satisfy:
Pray while doing this:
Wrestle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, as Grant alluded to, the Psalms, I find, is one of the easiest places to see this wrestling, the emotional tug-of-war if you will in the life of the believer. The Psalms show us the vast array of emotions we may experience in the Christian life--certainly things like Joy, Triumph, Happiness, Love--but also things like Despair, Anger, Disappointment, Confusion--and all these emotions are expressed and brought to the Lord. This allows us to see the relational aspect of our Savior--that he welcomes us to discourse with him in these things.

Also, it is keen to keep in mind how prayer is as much for God, as it is to God. By this, I allude to such things as "Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" where we see that part of the function of prayer is to plead to Christ that He would align our will to his, that His glory and honor and will will ultimately reign. If you are human (and I know you are), you know that this submission to God's will is hard--and that's an understatement! It is inherent that we defy his will and purpose so many times. So when we wrestle in prayer, aside from expressing our emotional and spiritual sentiments, it can also refer to the challenge of bringing our human wills, our human instincts, our sinful tendencies, into submission to God, just as Christ prayed that "Not my will, but your will be done" as he struggled with the pangs of humanity as he would go to the pain of the cross, though ultimately he submitted to the divine will. This was certainly, and is certainly for us today, a wrestling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back