Wretched: A Modern Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
But most of this is not in the west, it's in the Asian countries....and the third world. I have a friend that makes presentations on this regularly in schools and public places. Trying to bring attention on the topic. As one comment was on Youtube....just another sign of the total depravity of man.

But most of this is not in the west, it's in the Asian countries....and the third world. I have a friend that makes presentations on this regularly in schools and public places. Trying to bring attention on the topic. As one comment was on Youtube....just another sign of the total depravity of man.

And it's been going on for quite a while in some of those places, or other things similar to it.

Weston, I do agree with you in that the church should take up the banner of fighting human trafficking.(I did a report on it for my current affairs class) It goes beyond sex slavery but that is by far the worse and most disgusting example of human trafficking.

Being fairly unfamiliar - and not wanting to investigate it too closely, so as not to get the hysteria that tends to pervade my system if I think too long about children being treated in this way, particularly - my perception is that it may be largely Asian countries supplying the victims, but, western nations "buying them."

Almost too horrible to contemplate, but, it it must be acknowledged in order to be fought.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Being fairly unfamiliar - and not wanting to investigate it too closely, so as not to get the hysteria that tends to pervade my system if I think too long about children being treated in this way, particularly - my perception is that it may be largely Asian countries supplying the victims, but, western nations "buying them."

Almost too horrible to contemplate, but, it it must be acknowledged in order to be fought.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Sorry for the weird double post.

My fear is, that acknowledgement is not enough. People in power are the ones buying them....Of course none of us know who they are, if we would, here in North America, it would be jail. There was a man caught just recently here about 4 miles from where I live for child p0rn....and he said he was very afraid of what might happen to him in jail since it's not well respected....well mister, look at all the children you have already ruined their lives...deal with it!!

Question: exactly how is the church supposed to stop human trafficking aside from taking up the sword?

Not to sound like a cynic, but outside of prayer and speaking up about it (and the fact that even most non-Christians in the west with half a sense of decency oppose this), what is the church to do? Shouldn't there be an emphasis on pressuring these countries into putting laws into place that prohibit this (assuming it's not illegal)?

One of the things that bothers me about this cause is that it's what I call a "safe sin" to address. It's something that even a moderate pagan would denounce. It's easy to join hands with others when everybody else is against it; even Rob Bell speaks out against it. The real challenge is to talk about the sins that the world doesn't want to deal with. Abortion, homosexuality, Darwinism-these are things that make unbelievers squirm whenever they're brought up.

Again, I'm not denying that this stuff happens, nor that it should be ignored. I'm just saying that we need to be careful about retreating from the battle against more immediate and relevant sins in favor of fighting against "safe sins."

Just thoughts to give out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back