Wretched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
I think most of the previous threads on this are pretty outdated now. I'm just looking for a current opinion.

Would you recommend the YouTube channel called Wretched, that Todd Friel hosts? He seems to be a really good communicator, and most of what he says is very practical dealing with matters of everyday life.

I liked Todd until he told his audience unashamedly that if the government told him that he had to wear a pinwheel on his head to go to the grocery store, he is bound by Scripture to obey, and that he would obey.

I was done after that. Life is too short for that kind of silliness.

Last edited:
I liked Todd until he told his audience unashamedly that if the government told him that he had to wear a pinwheel on his head to go to the grocery store, he is bound by Scripture to on obey, and that he would obey.

I was done after that. Life is too short for that kind of silliness.
Same here. I do like that James White refuted him on that.

His YT channel can be a good resource for some things, but should be taken as we do everything else, with a discerning eye and ear.

Same here. I do like that James White refuted him on that.

His YT channel can be a good resource for some things, but should be taken as we do everything else, with a discerning eye and ear.
Many people went on to refute him (refute Todd).

Should you listen to that content? A lot depends on you and your disposition, your daily worries, what things tend to distract you from Christ, etc.

My gut tells me to suggest that you be careful. The last time I listened to anything from them (and it has been a while, admittedly) I found the content more likely to make me angry about the world than hopeful about Christ. Critique of the world and of the church has its place, certainly. But a daily diet of it can be toxic, and I know many believers who have been gorging themselves on it for a while now. Even if the critique is often on point, a preoccupation with it can make a person gossipy, angry, fearful, and unsympathetic toward those with whom he disagrees.

Perhaps Wretched Radio doesn't move others in that direction like it would me, or perhaps it has changed recently, or perhaps I've just happened to sample a lot of cultural/church critique from them and there's actually more going on... so you might find better-informed feedback than I can give, and I'm open to corrective opinions. But like I said, my gut says you should examine your heart and first ask why you are drawn to this content. If it's because some part of you likes getting angry, being in on the gossip/critique, being more right than other believers, etc. — then you should find content that makes you love Jesus more and cultivate humility instead.

Personally I've always had a somewhat eerie disposition to his content, so I've never been interested. More of a gut feeling kind of thing

Should you listen to that content? A lot depends on you and your disposition, your daily worries, what things tend to distract you from Christ, etc.

My gut tells me to suggest that you be careful. The last time I listened to anything from them (and it has been a while, admittedly) I found the content more likely to make me angry about the world than hopeful about Christ. Critique of the world and of the church has its place, certainly. But a daily diet of it can be toxic, and I know many believers who have been gorging themselves on it for a while now. Even if the critique is often on point, a preoccupation with it can make a person gossipy, angry, fearful, and unsympathetic toward those with whom he disagrees.

Perhaps Wretched Radio doesn't move others in that direction like it would me, or perhaps it has changed recently, or perhaps I've just happened to sample a lot of cultural/church critique from them and there's actually more going on... so you might find better-informed feedback than I can give, and I'm open to corrective opinions. But like I said, my gut says you should examine your heart and first ask why you are drawn to this content. If it's because some part of you likes getting angry, being in on the gossip/critique, being more right than other believers, etc. — then you should find content that makes you love Jesus more and cultivate humility instead.
Thanks so much for this. Very wise.

Todd does address many current issues and tries to do so bionically. The pinwheel thing was one snippet of a 9 part series on Romans they did and I don’t think that should be judged completely on the pinwheel statement but at the same time the pinwheel statement was pretty absurd and I disagree with his conclusions there. He is a Jmac fan boy so you will get Masters Seminary dispensational theology mixed thoroughly into any teachings. He is a brother in Christ but may not hold to so many of the reformed doctrines held so dearly here.

For some people it could be bad to listen to him. His tone certainly has an effect on people that can put them on edge I think more easily. I think Todd’s intentions are good - he loves God, the church and seeks after the lost with the gospel. I think he has far more grace in his intentions that is often conveyed in his radio voice especially given the nature of his show (critical).

I was initially annoyed when I heard his show come on the radio but I have learned to appreciate it more by listening to what he says over being distracted by hearing his inflections - even though I don’t agree with him all the time.

:2cents:

Last edited:
I have a more take as is approach to him. He really lacks nuance on a lot of topics and some are just out of his depth. That said, he started well and as long as he is dealing with just the extremes of charismania, he's alright. I see him dealing more with low-hanging fruit.

The first 10 minutes of The Ingram Angle is a must listen. Plus she is a lot prettier than Todd. I personally fall asleep when she bring up others to back up what she just said, which more often than not is spot on.

Wretched (from what I remember from a few clips here and there years ago), et al -and others like it, whether political or theological, spends (in my own estimation) inordinate amounts of time on what we'll call easy targets. There are those people "out there" like Joel Osteen, Kenneth Copeland, etc. that are so ridiculous, they're easy targets to bemoan, lament, etc. And so it makes for easy content to put out, and it makes for easy content for we Sons-of-Adam-Turned-to-Sons-of-God to spend our best efforts upon, and feel better about our own perceived progress beyond such things. I know this, because I know me, although I'm determined to think myself even weaker than most of y'all to such indulgences.

Whether it's Wretched, or Twitfaceinstatube, or ____________________, these things must all be monitored and approached with wariness, in that it's easier to sit and point out all that is wrong with the silly crazies of the world, and fail rightly to do business with the inner man. Self is the worst idolater of all, and it is my belief, that if we spend our best efforts in weeding our own gardens, our eternal inheritance garden given to us to work in even now, we will neither have the time, nor strong inclination to engage in the easy target consumption, because we will be too exhausted in our own necessary self-examination, subsequent confession of sins, believing God's promises of forgiveness thereof, and then using the means of His appointment in the consequent new obedience He has promised that flows from His saving grace and justification (not gets us such). I think Mr. Jack above gives some good direction.

Edit: I just saw Jacob's low-hanging fruit comment. That's a good other way of putting easy targets, so kudos.

Not liking the way that he comes across, I haven't watched him much. I'm not sure what that's about other than a way to try to come across as "edgy" or whatever in an attempt to get people's attention. Some of what he does say is ok and he actually comes across as sober minded more often than not, in my limited experience. If I had to choose, there are people that I'd be less apt to listen to than Friel, for whatever that's worth.

I don't think that he (or even Phil Johnson) has done MacArthur any favors with the game of asking him for one word answers on controversial issues.

Todd Friel and the team at Wretched are excellent. I would highly recommend both the radio and TV show. His theology is Calvinistic with a bit of Dispensational theology thrown in (think John MacArthur). I've been listening to Todd for many years, I think over that time he has grown and has become much more balanced in his approach. His strong emphasis on biblical counselling has been very helpful of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back