Writing a paper on Cessationism. What is orthodoxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgemmen9

Puritan Board Freshman
I am writing a paper on Reformed Orthodoxy and the "proper" way of understanding Cessationism in light of the Westminster Confessions. I believe this idea of Cessationism comes from the Westminster Confession, chapter 1, articles 1 and 6. I want to hear what the orthodox position is from YOU and if I am on target by beginning with these articles in my research. I am in very, very early stages of my research process. So to start the discussion....

-Is my focus on chapter 1, articles 1 and 6 on target?
-Have tongues ceased? If so, on what basis?
-If gifts have ceased, what about revelation like Muslims seeing Christ? Or revelation points others towards Jesus and His Word? (e.g. an audible voice in a persons' head and so forth).

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this....

1. Yes.
2. Yes. They were a specific gift for a specific time.
3. What about them? You already referenced WCF 1.1 "those former ways of God's revealing his will unto his people being now ceased."

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

I know I gave very succint answers, but I don't want to do all your work for you. ;) In all seriousness, the subject of cessationism is one very close to my heart. As a former Pentecostal, I still have many friends caught up in the non-cessationist errors. I too hope to one day put together some thoughts on paper and maybe pen a short book that could help Pentecostals/Charismatics understand why I find cessationism to be biblical.

1. Yes.
2. Yes. The foundation is laid, the enscripturated Word is sufficient, the impending judgment of Jerusalem by men of strange tongues has come to pass.
3. Scripture interprets experience. Of course, I would be already predisposed even apart from cessationism to reject stories of visions with a Jesus who looks like the Second Commandment violation in a prominent evangelistic film.

You might check out the following article: Where Have All the Spiritual Gifts Gone? A Defense of Cessationism by Richard Gaffin, Jr.

You really ought to read the historical section of this paper by Vern Poythress ( Prof at Westminster TS)...scroll down to #12 on historical accounts. "First, the words of Samuel Rutherford are of special interest, because he was one of the people involved in drawing up the Westminster Standards." Flavel, Covenanters, Mather, etc.

Modern Spiritual Gifts as Analogous to Apostolic Gifts

It is hard to make a case that what the writers of the confession were trying to convey is the same thing as what some cessationists claim they were saying. This fits into what you mentioned about what is happening in the Muslim world today with visions of Jesus bringing people to the Lord.

The problem is that what the average Pentecostal says about non cessationism is so off that anybody who understands the sufficiency of scripture would reject it.

I like terminology in between strict cessationism and crazy charismatic......"extraordinary providence" is a nice way to put it. Or "continuationist". Being devoted to the normal ordinary things while not limiting God's power to do those more extraordinary things today if He chooses.

Hey, seriously, I am not making this up...I know a lady who got a word from God in a fortune cookine last fall. I know another one who is friendly with a prophet who was caught up to the third heaven like Paul and came back down with new end time revelation. ( she donates money to him). I know another one that God talks to all the time and His will changes every day, so she does not have to keep promises she made the day before. Its so hard to try and walk in that middle ground of the sufficiency of scripture while still affirming extraordinary providences when I get in conversations. So much deception out there.

Hi:

Welcome to the Board. You asked for our take on the matter, so, here it goes:

First, you are correct in citing the WCF as the orthodox understanding of Cessationism.

Second, tongues have ceased. The simple reason for this is that a "tongue" - whether it is angelic or human - is a language, and language conveys thoughts and ideas. The gift of tongues is a person speaking a language that he/she does not know as he/she is inspired by the Holy Spirit. A person speaking words that are inspired by the Spirit of God are speaking the words of Revelation. Such words are equivalent to Holy Scripture. They are as binding on the Christian as the Ten Commandments. The Bible teaches that all Revelation has now ceased after the writing of the final book (appropriately called Revelation), Revelation 22:18,19. Consequently, a person speaking in tongues today is contradicting the very words which he claims to be speaking.

The Orthodox, however, divide the gifts into two parts: Ordinary and Extraordinary. The Extraordinary gifts are those given by the immediate inspiration of the Holy Spirit and are infallible. One does not need to study or do anything in order for these gifts to operate. These gifts include prophecy, tongues and healing. They are extraordinary because they are infallible and they always work. A man with the gift of healing, for example, could heal every single person who came to him without exception.

The Ordinary gifts are those gifts that need to be learned and studied before they are used. Mozart, for example, was a "gifted" musician and composer, and though his work seemed effortless, he still had to study, practice, and work at it in order to use it. The same today with "gifted" doctors, surgeons, and nurses who are very capable at their professions, but needed to study and work at it before they could accomplish their different callings. Such gifts are given by the Holy Spirit, and they are called "ordinary" because we all are given such gifts, and we acquire them in an ordinary fashion.

Now, this view does not exclude the miraculous in everyday life. There are documented cases where people had terminal cancer one day, and the next day it was completely gone and/or in remission. Every instance of healing, whether it is a paper cut or leukemia, is accomplished by the Spirit of God. And God will answer the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man. The difference is that the gift of healing always heals, but praying for the healing of oneself or others does not always work, and sometimes works miraculously.

Thirdly, visions and audible voices can possibly come as a work of the Spirit of God (See: Bunyan's Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners), but they are not Extraordinary gifts as outlined above. For a really good book on the cessation of gits read, B.B. Warfield's, Counterfeit Miracles.

Some Charismatics argue that their gift of tongues is simply a prayer language between their spirit and God, 1 Cor 14:13-15. Even given the possibility that they are not misinterpreting the passages; the working of this gift is the same as infallible prophetic utterances given above. They have ceased and are no more.

I hope this helps,

-Rob

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter I
Of the Holy Scripture

I. Although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men unexcusable;[1] yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God, and of His will, which is necessary unto salvation.[2] Therefore it pleased the Lord, at sundry times, and in divers manners, to reveal Himself, and to declare that His will unto His Church;[3] and afterwards for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the Church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing;[4] which makes the Holy Scripture to be most necessary;[5] those former ways of God's revealing His will unto His people being now ceased.[6]

II. Under the name of Holy Scripture, or the Word of God written, are now contained all the books of the Old and New Testament, which are these: Of the Old Testament: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, I Samuel, II Samuel, I Kings, II Kings, I Chronicles, II Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, The Song of Songs, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi. Of the New Testament: The Gospels according to Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, The Acts of the Apostles, Paul's Epistles to the Romans, Corinthians I, Corinthians II, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Thessalonians I , Thessalonians II , To Timothy I , To Timothy II, To Titus, To Philemon, The Epistle to the Hebrews, The Epistle of James, The first and second Epistles of Peter, The first, second, and third Epistles of John, The Epistle of Jude, The Revelation of John. All which are given by inspiration of God to be the rule of faith and life.[7]

III. The books commonly called Apocrypha, not being of divine inspiration, are no part of the canon of the Scripture, and therefore are of no authority in the Church of God, nor to be any otherwise approved, or made use of, than other human writings.[8]

IV. The authority of the Holy Scripture, for which it ought to be believed, and obeyed, depends not upon the testimony of any man, or Church; but wholly upon God (who is truth itself) the author thereof: and therefore it is to be received, because it is the Word of God.[9]

V. We may be moved and induced by the testimony of the Church to an high and reverent esteem of the Holy Scripture.[10] And the heavenliness of the matter, the efficacy of the doctrine, the majesty of the style, the consent of all the parts, the scope of the whole (which is, to give all glory to God), the full discovery it makes of the only way of man's salvation, the many other incomparable excellencies, and the entire perfection thereof, are arguments whereby it does abundantly evidence itself to be the Word of God: yet notwithstanding, our full persuasion and assurance of the infallible truth and divine authority thereof, is from the inward work of the Holy Spirit bearing witness by and with the Word in our hearts.[11]

VI. The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men.[12] Nevertheless, we acknowledge the inward illumination of the Spirit of God to be necessary for the saving understanding of such things as are revealed in the Word:[13] and that there are some circumstances concerning the worship of God, and government of the Church, common to human actions and societies, which are to be ordered by the light of nature, and Christian prudence, according to the general rules of the Word, which are always to be observed.[14]

VII. All things in Scripture are not alike plain in themselves, nor alike clear unto all:[15] yet those things which are necessary to be known, believed, and observed for salvation are so clearly propounded, and opened in some place of Scripture or other, that not only the learned, but the unlearned, in a due use of the ordinary means, may attain unto a sufficient understanding of them.[16]

VIII. The Old Testament in Hebrew (which was the native language of the people of God of old), and the New Testament in Greek (which, at the time of the writing of it, was most generally known to the nations), being immediately inspired by God, and, by His singular care and providence, kept pure in all ages, are therefore authentical;[17] so as, in all controversies of religion, the Church is finally to appeal unto them.[18] But, because these original tongues are not known to all the people of God, who have right unto, and interest in the Scriptures, and are commanded, in the fear of God, to read and search them,[19] therefore they are to be translated in to the vulgar language of every nation unto which they come,[20] that, the Word of God dwelling plentifully in all, they may worship Him in an acceptable manner;[21] and, through patience and comfort of the Scriptures, may have hope.[22]

IX. The infallible rule of interpretation of Scripture is the Scripture itself: and therefore, when there is a question about the true and full sense of any Scripture (which is not manifold, but one), it must be searched and known by other places that speak more clearly.[23]

X. The supreme judge by which all controversies of religion are to be determined, and all decrees of councils, opinions of ancient writers, doctrines of men, and private spirits, are to be examined, and in whose sentence we are to rest, can be no other but the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scripture.[24]

The Westminster Standards are clear on the doctrinal matters to which they speak.

All of Chapter I. is relevant (not only paragraphs 1-6) because making the special revelation of God known (through Scripture) is the point.

Remember, the Standards were not written in response to what is termed “charismatic/Pentecostal theology,” in our generation. That’s because the presuppositions of that were not at issue in their generation.

The authority of Scripture was. As it is in our generation.

The central principle is really sola scriptura, and that’s the focus. The term “cessationism” is a made-up term that tends to pigeon hole a doctrine as if it were merely an alternative view. Yet, it really is implicit doctrine of sola scriptura.

The key point is that special revelation is complete in the Scriptures, and that is God's plan. That's how highly He views His Word.

Ephesians 2:20 tells us that the foundation of our faith is built upon special revelation of God given through the prophets (Old Testament) and apostles (New Testament), and that is was once delivered” to the church (Jude 1:3).

So, in any ordinary sense at least, special revelation comes through Scripture, which is complete, as Scripture testifies of itself.

“Ordinary” because that allows for miracles, which the Westminster Confession recognizes

Chapter V
Of Providence

III. God, in His ordinary providence, makes use of means,[10] yet is free to work without,[11] above,[12] and against them,[13] at His pleasure.

This takes off the table the distraction of the implication that God can’t do miracles, or about someone’s “experience” of what they believe was a miracle, etc.

“Miracles,” as we use that term can happen and many believers have experienced things they can only call that, even if their limited perception is wrong- God still can do miracles anytime, anywhere, any place.

My understanding is that the I Corinthians 12 gifts could occur in extraordinary circumstances, or even that they could continue in a non special revelation manner perhaps for personal edification of faith building.

But the main point remains that, tongues and interpretation of tongues are not an “ordinary means of grace” for the church in light of the completed cannon of Scripture.

They are not the focus of corporate worship, Scripture is.

They are not to be sought as an alternative to Scripture, built upon the revelation of the prophets and apostles that was once laid for our faith.

Standard charismatic/Pentecostal practice is based on a presupposition that special revelation ordinarily comes through tongues and interpretation, even though the Scripture is complete.

And in this, charismatic/Pentecostal theology does greatly err.

It is one reason there is such disorder in their communions.

One of the things I noted when I was in the Assemblies of God was that people would blurt out in tongues during the prayer part of the service. When I asked them about why they did this when Paul made it clear that tongues had to be accompanied by an interpreter, they responded with "Oh, there are two kinds of tongues in Scripture."

I'm still looking for that second kind. Havent' found it :D

I thought Paul made this pretty clear in 1 Corinthians 13; " Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known."

Cessation

I am writing a paper on Reformed Orthodoxy and the "proper" way of understanding Cessationism in light of the Westminster Confessions. I believe this idea of Cessationism comes from the Westminster Confession, chapter 1, articles 1 and 6. I want to hear what the orthodox position is from YOU and if I am on target by beginning with these articles in my research. I am in very, very early stages of my research process. So to start the discussion....

-If gifts have ceased, what about revelation like Muslims seeing Christ? Or revelation points others towards Jesus and His Word? (e.g. an audible voice in a persons' head and so forth).

I know you said from the Westminster Confession, These are also very insightful.

I loved this site when I Converted from Pentecostalism.
This website is a collection of resources critical of the charismatic movement and in defence of cessationism. Counterfeit Miracles

You can also check this out. -B.B. Warfield's("The Cessation of the Charismata" by Benjamin B. Warfield)

Author

Fifty years after his death B.B. Warfield's witness remains a powerful influence in mainstream Christianity simply because no successor has attained to his eminence as a biblical theologian. In his years at Princeton, 1886-1921, he was unquestionably the best-known opponent of the rationalism and anti-supernaturalism which threatened the life of the Church in the 20th Century; for him a non-miraculous Christianity was no Christianity at all. But with his breadth of vision, Warfield also saw the danger of false claims to the possession of miraculous gifts — claims which have repeatedly been made both by the Church of Rome and by groups within Protestantism. That the apostles possessed special divine gifts, and that they could be conferred by their hands, is plain; so also is it plain, argued Warfield, that the claimants to the same charismata since the apostolic age have never been genuine.

This article is taken from Warfield's book, Counterfeit Miracles, first published in 1918.

No new Revelation.-John Calvin
No New Revelation!

Something nice on Tongues(Anyone please correct me if I'm Wrong with this view.

View attachment 2660

I know you said from the Westminster Confession, These are also very insightful.

I loved this site when I Converted from Pentecostalism.
This website is a collection of resources critical of the charismatic movement and in defence of cessationism. Counterfeit Miracles

You can also check this out. -B.B. Warfield's("The Cessation of the Charismata" by Benjamin B. Warfield)

Author

Fifty years after his death B.B. Warfield's witness remains a powerful influence in mainstream Christianity simply because no successor has attained to his eminence as a biblical theologian. In his years at Princeton, 1886-1921, he was unquestionably the best-known opponent of the rationalism and anti-supernaturalism which threatened the life of the Church in the 20th Century; for him a non-miraculous Christianity was no Christianity at all. But with his breadth of vision, Warfield also saw the danger of false claims to the possession of miraculous gifts — claims which have repeatedly been made both by the Church of Rome and by groups within Protestantism. That the apostles possessed special divine gifts, and that they could be conferred by their hands, is plain; so also is it plain, argued Warfield, that the claimants to the same charismata since the apostolic age have never been genuine.

This article is taken from Warfield's book, Counterfeit Miracles, first published in 1918.

No new Revelation.-John Calvin
No New Revelation!

Something nice on Tongues(Anyone please correct me if I'm Wrong with this view.

View attachment 2660

OOPS This one. LOL.

View attachment 2661

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back