Written Prayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvroftheWord

Puritan Board Sophomore
Does anybody ever write their prayers in journals or notebooks as part of their devotions? I find that written prayer is a very effective method of prayer for me, personally. It helps me focus more on what specifically I am saying to God and how I am saying it. It's very edifying for me.

I go through stages but non-written prayers always win out simply because writing takes so long and I find it hard to be honest, knowing that someone could read this sometime in the future. I guess though that is a problem I need to work through. When I have used written prayers it has been good.

I don't know what this means but I've found that the times I was at my lowest was when I was inclined to write my prayers and laments down.

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
I don't know what this means but I've found that the times I was at my lowest was when I was inclined to write my prayers and laments down.
That would be the same for me. I suppose for me mostly that is because I like writing and I like remembering emotion etc... and like to capture the mood of a work. Written prayers during good times have less passion than those during my bad times. Maybe my evaluation of myself is true, maybe it isnt.

I was once given a Book of Common Prayer as a gift from a friend at school who switched from Pentecostal to Anglican (which is a good switch In my humble opinion). Sometimes I use the collects to "get the ball rolling" in prayer.

Also I recently purchased a copy of "Valley of Vision." I love this book!

I sometimes write my prayers out in full before praying them. I find this too is helpful.

Originally posted by Richard B. Davis
Also I recently purchased a copy of "Valley of Vision." I love this book!

A totally awesome book. I strongly urge anyone who hasn't purchased this book to get it ASAP. It is truly a blessing. This book and the Psalms are the bedrock of my devotional literature.

I love to write my prayers down. Many times as I begin, it's like the Holy Spirit takes over and they become both a request and praise. I also like to journal what I feel like Holy Spirit is speaking to me in answer.

I'd encourage written prayers, but then I'd encourage you to say them out loud. Even scripture should be spoken out loud, more so, I think, than it should be read silently. Even our confession emphasizes the spoken over the read Word.

Yes, writing prayers down definitely keeps me more focused. It keeps my mind from that awful tendency to get distracted. I find that when I write prayers, my mind is also more disciplined when I am praying silently or speaking prayers.

Originally posted by joshua
I have a much more active prayer life if I'm writing them. When I'm putting something on paper, I'm much more focused.

:ditto: Whenever I do it, I usually sit in front of my computer with a Word document, and save it. I find I can almost always focus more that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back