Yahoo mail spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Puritan Board Sophomore
Is anyone else, that is using Yahoo for email, having an annoying spam problem coming mainly from Japan? I am extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemly careful about who I give my personal info to on the net (Did I mention that I'm very careful about who gets my info?).

But as of the last 6-8 weeks I've been getting a ridiculous amount of spam. As I type this I have exactly 196 blocked addresses with at least 95% of them having email addresses from Japan. Each time I block them it seems that I just get more and more spam (which I cannot even read anyway as they're not written in English).

What's up with that?

Anyone else having a similar problem? What would you recommed? Thanks.

Be careful where you visit.

About a month ago I was in the habit of keeping a Puritanboard session up at work. During slow periods or breaks, I would occasionally surf or post.

One day I checked out a link to a news item that someone had posted. Several other windows popped up as the site loaded. The material was questionable. Beginning the next day I started receiving "Anti-spam Digest" emails from the administrator several times a day. These emails notified me that any where from 1-3 spam messages had been sent to my work address and that I had the option to release them or just let them sit in quarantine for like 5 days after which the system would automatically delete them. So I delete the notification email and just let the system do its thing.

I continued keeping the Puritanboard up, but every time I saw one of those links to an exterior site, I reminded myself "Don't take links."

About 2 weeks ago I came into work. I went to sign on, and got the message "Your account has been disabled. Please see your administrator." I about froze. I started packing a box just in case.

My account was restored, but it took 2 1/2 days to get it done. It turned out to be a freak error in the system that had nothing to do with my surfing nonbusiness sites nor getting spam messages. It happened to a whole boatload of other people. But still, I've decided - no more nonbusiness sites from my work computer. That was enough for me.

Lesson learned: Be careful where you visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back