Yard Sale Score...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyFlynt

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm a big time bargain hunter. My husband cannot believe the things I'm able to find at a yardsale, thriftstore, or used bookstore. A few years ago I was at the end of yardsale and down to my last 15cents. The lady sold me the entire box of books for that 15cents. It included a Hebrew Grammar. Ended up being the same Hebrew Grammar used at CTS :D

Today, I was looking for dresses for my girls. I happened across my own landlady's yardsale. I looked through her book pile, recognising a good portion of books she had taken off of my hands this past autumn :lol:

I found in that pile, not only a Latin Grammar, but also a 1937 (copyrighted 1902), pocket sized Heidelberg Catechism 20th Century Edition in fair to poor condition, but readable. It was printed in Philadelphia by the Board of Christian Education of the Evangelical and Reformed Church. Apparently it was used for catechises of young people and has some interesting parts to it. Oh, bought it for 25cents :cool: My landlady has no idea where she got the book (most likely in a box of stuff from an auction). Nothing like good Reformed treasure at an Anabaptist yardsale!

Your talents equal those of my sister-in-law. She loves garage sales and is always getting great deals.

I'd rather their yard than their garage ;) but then, it depends on what might be in the garage...

My eldest daughter-in-law (a PK married to a pastor) has found really nice furniture (none of that pressed wood veneer stuff) underneath dirt and such for free or a few dollars. She shops the garage sales and even discards for the trash collector. Once recovered and restored they now make their house a showcase of beautiful wood furniture (nicer than mine).

Very cool. We plan to move back to the West in the next few months and will be furnishing our home by garage sales exclusively.

It was my mom's favorite past-time. She once picked up an entire Noritake tea set for a few bucks (sold it later for ~$500!)

Okay, the Latin book is...

Essentials of Latin for Beginners by Henry Carr Pearson (1911 and in GOOD condition!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back