Yeast rolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorBravo

Administrator
Staff member
I make scratch biscuits all the time. But some friends had us over for post-Thanksgiving dinner and there were homemade bread rolls.

Which got me to thinking and messing. Yesterday I looked at various recipes and then went the way I usually do: I winged it.

First I took some yeast I use for winemaking (because I never shopped for bread yeast before). Mixed it with warm water and a bit of sugar to get the little bugs active.

Then I mixed up some flour, salt, butter, a little milk, and some warmish water (didn't want to shock the yeasties). Added the bubbling yeast to it all (a little leaven, I was thinking). Mixed, added flour, tasted a little, added a little more salt, and then got something I could knead and let rise in a bowl. After half an hour of it growing like a mushroom, I pushed it all down again and made little balls.

balls.jpg

They grew too, with a little help from a slightly warm oven.

rise.jpg

So I baked them. Turned out nicer than I expected:

baked.jpg

This was the first time I baked with yeast. My mom used to do it all the time. I guess something rubbed off.

Now my only problem is that my wife said to me tonight as we finished the last ones, "We should have these every day!"

Have you ever discussed your winemaking here? I'm intrigued.
I may have, it's been a long time. These days, I generally only make around 2 gallons a year from our grapes. We have 9 vines, mostly seedless table grapes, but two vines of Pinot Noir. I usually put up 80-90 pounds of frozen grapes and steam-juice around 4-5 gallons of juice when we get tired of stemming.

I used to make a big production out of it and give away bottles. But the bottles never came back for some reason.

So, 8-10 bottles a year is what we use. Nothing fancy. Because I steam juice the grapes, they can go directly into the secondary fermenter, which typically is a gallon jug. Let it bubble until done, racking if sediment builds up. I let it go until it can't go any farther, and then bottle. No sulfides. Keep things clean. Basic stuff. If you let it sit for a few months, it usually tastes pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back