yellow dog linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reed

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello brothers and sisters in Chrirst :)

hey -- being frugal, reformed folks with an appreciation for our Scottish heritage (read, basically cheap) you might find this new build of linux interesting --

it's called yellow dog linux and it's designed to run on old powerPC computers -- mainly old g4 macs.

see: http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/downloads.shtml

I've been playing around with it. It installs pretty easy.

I don't have enough linux knowledge to figure out how to install new software or add new hardware.

Any linux users out there?

yeah! :sing: got it working! I wasn't able to get the latest version (v.4) to work on my old powermac g4 533 but I was able to get v.3 to work!

I am posting from yellowdog right now! It's pretty cool -- and it renews an older computer with a much zippier operating system!

I'm still in the dark as to adding software or new hardware -- so if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it -- Thanks!
Reed

for example -- you're running linux. You put in a usb keychain drive. Where is it? How do you save data to it? How do you get to it???

puzzled...

Originally posted by Reed
for example -- you're running linux. You put in a usb keychain drive. Where is it? How do you save data to it? How do you get to it???

puzzled...
I've never used Linux with a USB keychain drive . . . but, like other devices, you will probably have to mount it before you can access it. Type: man mount You may want to see if there is any software that might automatically mount/unmount it for you.

i run linux. have since kernel .8 and netbsd before that.

usb mount via the scsi dev tree
see:
http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x498.html

it might be a project the first time you work through it, after that it is routine to setup
mine goes through automount, i think, it's been awhile and if it works i don't look at it *grin*

just work through the faq/guides

hey everyone -
Thanks to Chuck's recommendation - I have installed unbuntu linux on an old ruby red g3 iMac (firewire)

one CD

super easy install/setup

usb flash drives mount when you insert them

super easy for linux newbies...

*almost* idiot proof and best of all: FREE!!!!

I highly recommend this build if you need a simple linux install.
Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back