Yet Another Calvin Thread (YACT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenChosen

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm looking into getting the Institutes when I get more money (still cracks me up, someone called them "stinky-toots" hahaha). I've heard that there are some good translations and bad ones.

Could you guys tell me what translation is the best, and what year the translation was in? Thanks.

Best English trans is Library of Christian Classics- Ed. John T McNeill. Go to WTSbooks.com

Its a great translation with commentary notes and text book quality binding.

:book:

[quote:c80003e247][i:c80003e247]Originally posted by Bladestunner316[/i:c80003e247]
I believe henry beveridge. [/quote:c80003e247]

Of the two leading translations, this is the older one and is now public domain. You should be able to find it online and download it. For a hard copy you might have to go the used book route.

[quote:c80003e247][i:c80003e247]Originally posted by New wine skin[/i:c80003e247]
Best English trans is Library of Christian Classics- Ed. John T McNeill. Go to WTSbooks.com

Its a great translation with commentary notes and text book quality binding.

:book: [/quote:c80003e247]

:ditto: I found the Battles translation (Ed. John T. McNeill) a much easier read than the Beveridge translation. It is available from a number of online sources.

Battles is the best. Beveridge is a bit harder to read, but is available for free on the internet

We all love books....but

I know everyone loves books but if gaining knowledge and access to Calvin for an everyday low price go to http://www.ageslibrary.com/calvin.html and for $29.99 you get both the Battles and the Beveridge translation, his commentaries, sermons, selected shorter writings (why aren't these in print?!?!?!?).

Get the hardback of the Institutes...but check this out during the meantime.

Stinky-toots? Blasphemy! LOL

You can get his shorter writings and letters from Still Waters. It is a photocopy of the Baker series put out years ago and the binding ain't pretty, but beggars cannot be choosers, right?

Lon

Battles vs Beveridge?

I have to say, that as I read both translations (I have the Ages Library collection that was mentioned earlier) I actually find Beveridge to be far, far superior to Battles. Beveridge seems more forceful, to the point, and clear. Battles sometimes says things in such an odd way that if I hadn't read Beveridge first I would never have understood it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back