Yet Another Discord Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

JH

Puritan Board Sophomore
Happy Lord's Day brethren. I was reviewing a thread from a couple years ago by @Doulos McKenzie (can be found here) and was curious if the staff position on the idea remained the same. Frankly, I quite enjoy the IM feature here that is available after posting for a while; however, I can't help but think a PB Discord server would be a blessing, since it seems people are erratically in the IM channel. Recently in The Coffee Shop as well, I've seen discussion on potential alternatives or backups in case PB becomes suppressed in regards to speech.

Any thoughts? I've seen your thoughts in particular @Semper Fidelis and was wondering if you still have the same convictions. Feel free to remove the thread if necessary.

I think we are a long way more toward abandoning chat than looking to enhance it if we were to reexamine the matter (see Rich's post in that thread). The use compared to the rest of the functions is practically zero.

I thought that in its original iteration that the mods used it to talk about us (or at least our transgressions) behind our backs.
That's not chat; that's a full blown discussion forum. Think members only but only moderator access. And the admins have their own forums too for discussing those functions (mostly membership applications).

That's not chat; that's a full blown discussion forum. Think members only but only moderator access. And the admins have their own forums too for discussing those functions (mostly membership applications).
Yeah, we're too busy to talk about everyone behind their back so we have a dedicated forum devoted to just talking about @Edward

Yeah, we're too busy to talk about everyone behind their back so we have a dedicated forum devoted to just talking about @Edward
I used to provide more entertainment than I have in recent years. I probably need to up my game so you all don't get bored.

Happy Lord's Day brethren. I was reviewing a thread from a couple years ago by @Doulos McKenzie (can be found here) and was curious if the staff position on the idea remained the same. Frankly, I quite enjoy the IM feature here that is available after posting for a while; however, I can't help but think a PB Discord server would be a blessing, since it seems people are erratically in the IM channel. Recently in The Coffee Shop as well, I've seen discussion on potential alternatives or backups in case PB becomes suppressed in regards to speech.

Any thoughts? I've seen your thoughts in particular @Semper Fidelis and was wondering if you still have the same convictions. Feel free to remove the thread if necessary.
I will grant that I haven't been here long but this doesn't strike me as the foumn for discussion of armed coups or assassination planning. I will grant there is a certain level of hatred for Christianity out there, higher today than previously. Still, it doesn't strike me that this is the foumn that will be targeted for speech suppression.

Now is a bad time to be moving into closed platforms with 3rd party moderation. It is better for admins to own the technology they deploy. We don't have to worry about the type of content that will actually be discussed. We have to worry about what it will be labeled as by hostile interpreters headquartered in San Francisco who are put under pressure by hostile activists.

Now is a bad time to be moving into closed platforms with 3rd party moderation. It is better for admins to own the technology they deploy. We don't have to worry about the type of content that will actually be discussed. We have to worry about what it will be labeled as by hostile interpreters headquartered in San Francisco who are put under pressure by hostile activists.
Very good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back