You Should Subscribe

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
Here are several reasons why you should subscribe to the Confessional Presbyterian Journal. The subscription link is here: Subscriptions/Store | The Confessional Presbyterian

1. Chris Coldwell is the editor, and he is one of ours (and he works his tail off to get this thing into print, making practically no money: it is a labor of love. And certainly nothing else could keep him that motivated!). We need a little PB loyalty around here!

2. It is the best confessional journal in print. Period. It is better right now than the Westminster Theological Journal, and is at least neck and neck with the Mid-America Theological Journal.

3. It is accessible. Yes, it is written according to scholarly standards, but that does not mean that it is unintelligible. It is actually rather easy to read.

4. Subscribing to this journal will help you understand confessional folk a whole lot better than some appear to right now.

5. Subscribing to this journal will further your theological understanding greatly.

6. Lastly, and certainly least, I am the reviews editor of it. Of course, that will be reason enough for many to avoid it like the bubonic plague ("Hey, where are you going? Get back here right now, you :soapbox:!").

7. At the very least, you should buy it for your pastor. And at $50 for all four volumes of it, you've got one whopper of a steal.

I actually am such a huge proponent of this journal that I installed a new hack on this forum to ensure that every user see this recommendation.

This is a labor of love for Chris as I can testify that it is not for the money. You will greatly benefit from reading this journal.

With the shifts I've made theologically over the past year, obviously I disagree with some of the emphases of the CPJ. But I don't know of any other publication right now (print or online) that does a better job of defending confessional Presbyterianism. It is a steal at $50 for all four volumes. Agree or disagree, if you want to know what Confessional Presbyterianism is all about, there's no better place to start.

thank you--I forwarded the link to some friends and family; and I will need to discuss it with my husband before I subscribe..

Also, the number and quality of contributing writers and editors that Chris has amassed is impressive.

Getting married. No money! Ask again in 2 years!

I thought I was in trouble when I saw the administrators wanted me to see something before I accessed the PB. :p

I thought I was in trouble when I saw the administrators wanted me to see something before I accessed the PB. :p

Felt like being summoned to the Principal's office. "The admins would like you to see this before continuing." Well, to paraphrase an old line, if you haven't made unconfessional posts, you don't have anything to worry about. :judge: :lol:

:oops:
You to?
I thought my goose was cooked there for a moment.
:lol:

-----Added 12/19/2008 at 02:10:01 EST-----

How do I subscribe and can I do it next month when, Lord willing, I'll have some money to spend?
Sounds like something that will be a blessing.

Given that this was my second day posting and seeing the Admin message, I figured, well, I have really gone and done something terrible. Whew!

I will sign up for the journal. Sounds good to me.

BTW, the annual rate is only $18. The $50 fee is for four volumes (2005-2008).

I too thought I was in trouble!

Do you do a Baptist version...
:deadhorse:

LOL, but there are some good publications out there. In the UK there's Reformation Today published by Erroll Hulse. In the USA there's the Reformed Baptist Theological Review, which I believe is published twice a year. (It's probably the most similar to the CPJ in its intent and confessional orientation.) Then there's also the Founders Journal as well as publications by 9 Marks. I'm sure there are a few others that I'm forgetting. There are a lot of seminaries who publish their journals online as well, in whole or in part like the Southern Baptist Journal of Theology and the Masters Seminary Journal.

I was surprised as anyone to get "summoned".;) Thanks all for your very kind comments. You can subscribe via the subscription page at the link below where you can get various package deals (the best the first four volumes for $50) or get the current issue (2008) for $18. Those of you who have already landed an order in my in box, "Thank You Very Much".:)
Subscriptions/Store | The Confessional Presbyterian

I will speak with my husband, but know we will not be able to subscribe till after the New Year :) Thanks for the announcement.

Already have volumes 1 and 2, waiting for volumes 3 and 4. Sadly, I'm leaving next week for vacation and if they don't arrive by Saturday (tomorrow), I won't be able to take them with me over Christmas. Any possibility of this, Chris? :D

Last edited:
They might; most all US subscribers' issues have gone out as of yesterday priority mail (I normally use media which is more than have that expense, but given the lateness in the year and the competition with xmas mailings, media mail wouldn't ensure most getting theirs in a timely manner).

Already have volumes 1 and 2, waiting for volumes 3 and 4. Sadly, I've leaving next week for vacation and if they don't arrive by Saturday (tomorrow), I won't be able to take them with me over Christmas. Any possibility of this, Chris? :D

Just for fun, I checked for a listing for Confessional Presbyterian Journal at my (secular) university library website. Um, they don't have it.

But they do have Christianity Today

Well, what can I say? (but "give them a subscription?";)). CPJ is in many of the conservative reformed (and some not so conservative nor reformed) seminaries (you can find it at Westminster E&W, RTS, CTS, GPTS, Master's College Library, PTS, RPTS, SBTS, DBT, DTS, MidAmerica RS, Kobe RTS, etc.)

Just for fun, I checked for a listing for Confessional Presbyterian Journal at my (secular) university library website. Um, they don't have it.

But they do have Christianity Today

Rich,

I thought it was a great (extraordinary) move to put Reverend Keister's good post on this as passage to signing on to Puritan Board.

My first inclination was, what a great Christmas present for a Pastor or for a church library!

Then, after reflection, thought, well, maybe not, it might engender a thread on the propriety of gift giving in connection with "publick" celebration of a "holy-day." :):lol::)

If money wasnt so tight for me i would most likely subscribe to this. From my browsing around at the site it seems like there is some good content here!

Me too! I was even more scared than when I saw that there was a thread called "Jessica." That time I thought it was my public trial or something, but this time I thought, "I did something so bad they won't let me on."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back