You Should Subscribe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are several reasons why you should subscribe to the Confessional Presbyterian Journal. The subscription link is here: Subscriptions/Store | The Confessional Presbyterian

Thanks for the heads up, Lane [and Rich].

I wasn't aware when Chris posted a couple pages of an article from the CPJ recently that he was giving us a free preview. :^)

Glad to know more about this resource.

1. Chris Coldwell is the editor, and he is one of ours (and he works his tail off to get this thing into print, making practically no money: it is a labor of love. And certainly nothing else could keep him that motivated!). We need a little PB loyalty around here!

I am new here, but I have seen enough to concur with the above!

Yay, they have been shipped! Looking forward to it! :)

I had mine hand delivered by the owner yesterday.

After we talked for a while (Josh and I smoked cigars), Chris took me out to the parking lot on the way to dinner. We found his Rolls Royce, opened up the bonnet (that's what they call the trunk), and he had to move two huge garbage bags full of hundred dollar bills. Underneath the pile of money was a box of Confessional Presbyterian Journals.

Suddenly a bunch of theological "junkies" walked up with twitches. Apparently, Chris had given them a "taste" of the CPJ and they wanted more for free. Chris explained they were $18 a piece or four for $50. They were scrambling to buy up his stash of Journals and I barely escaped with my copy of the CPJ and my life!

Yay, they have been shipped! Looking forward to it! :)

I had mine hand delivered by the owner yesterday.

After we talked for a while (Josh and I smoked cigars), Chris took me out to the parking lot on the way to dinner. We found his Rolls Royce, opened up the bonnet (that's what they call the trunk), and he had to move two huge garbage bags full of hundred dollar bills. Underneath the pile of money was a box of Confessional Presbyterian Journals.

Suddenly a bunch of theological "junkies" walked up with twitches. Apparently, Chris had given them a "taste" of the CPJ and they wanted more for free. Chris explained they were $18 a piece or four for $50. They were scrambling to buy up his stash of Journals and I barely escaped with my copy of the CPJ and my life!

HAHAHA!!!! :lol: That was completely unexpected!!

I would like to add also when i saw that we had a required reading thread I thought for sure that it was going to be http://www.puritanboard.com/f103/attention-reminder-all-pb-members-41401/

If it follows "scholarly standards" what sort of peer review or quality assurance does it have?

The journal did not start out as a peer-reviewed journal. However, it has grown into that a bit informally. There are 13 contributing editors now. By now, every article is peer-reviewed by at least two editors. Given that, and the quality of the contributions, it has done exceptionally well. For my article, for instance, coming out in this year's journal, I had Chris read it, Wes White read it, and Fowler White read it.

If it follows "scholarly standards" what sort of peer review or quality assurance does it have?

The journal did not start out as a peer-reviewed journal. However, it has grown into that a bit informally. There are 13 contributing editors now. By now, every article is peer-reviewed by at least two editors. Given that, and the quality of the contributions, it has done exceptionally well. For my article, for instance, coming out in this year's journal, I had Chris read it, Wes White read it, and Fowler White read it.

Renewed subscription! :book2:

Rich,

:lol::lol::lol:

But, being a Baptist and all, I had to get mine in brown paper with no return address. Then, when being seen by old friends from my former denomination, I have to put it inside a copy of Walter Rauschenbusch's Christianity and the Social Crisis (1907) or some quasi-religious diatribe about "speaking truth to power" and endorsing abortion and gay marriage.

Maybe, if I hide it in a copy of one of Malone's books or Welty's article . . . hmmmmm . . . that's it . . . that's the ticket! :lol:

So if I order the 4 vol special, does that also include a subscription for the future issues to come? Or do we still buy those individually?

You guys crack me up. If you aren't POSTING anything that you shouldn't be then why would you be worried about reading the thread? :lol:

Reminds me of when Jesus said one of you will betray me and all the disciples except John got all up in arms about wondering if it was them. John wasn't concerned because of where he was - right next to Jesus.

(This post was meant to be tongue in cheek lest anyone go off on me thinking I was being serious.)

Getting married. No money! Ask again in 2 years!

I thought I was in trouble when I saw the administrators wanted me to see something before I accessed the PB. :p

Me too! I was even more scared than when I saw that there was a thread called "Jessica." That time I thought it was my public trial or something, but this time I thought, "I did something so bad they won't let me on."

:lol:

Any chance of this being digitzed like the aforementioned Baptist Confessional Journal RBTR and other journals like the WTJ etc., for release in an electronic version? I find journals in electronic format far more useful to me than paper editions (because they are searchable and indexed). I do not generally buy journals in other forms as I have a very limited budget. If I might suggest, this would be an excellent addition to the pre-existing Theological Journal Library. The owner of Galaxie Software is Mr. Hampton Keathley and he is the one that oversees the content. He can be reached through his website.

I'm not a fan of etext. Does this service provide the text as published or is it reformated? I note it is libronix.

I wasn't scared...just figured the lease was up on the tolerance regarding my anti-paedo stances that I take.

Oh, yeah, I forgot. Over dinner last night Josh, Rich and I decided we'd boot all the RBs. It's a paedo take over.:smug: Or ... wait ... maybe I lost something of the main points of conversation from all the cigar smoke they were blowing at me outside Starbucks.:)
I wasn't scared...just figured the lease was up on the tolerance regarding my anti-paedo stances that I take.

I just stopped by my mom's house tonight to pic up mine. Chris you sent it to my old addy. Either way I am very pleased and can't wait to read the article on Owen and republication of the CofW.

There is a lot of good stuff in this one that I am looking forward to reading. Woo Hoo.

Not bad for a Reformed Baptist.... Aye?

Several days ago, before this thread, I already complemented Chris for sending me two volumes including an article by one of our own PB Antipodean writers. I've thanked and complemented them both. I will, however, take this time to humbly ask that the font for "t" which is exceedingly irritating, be replaced by a "t" font that is a bit more current, as it really doesn't add, but rather distracts.

Andrew and Jessica, I felt the same way!

But, being a Baptist and all, I had to get mine in brown paper with no return address. Then, when being seen by old friends from my former denomination, I have to put it inside a copy of Walter Rauschenbusch's Christianity and the Social Crisis

Now THAT is rich!:lol::lol:

BTW, got my order in yesterday.

I just stopped by my mom's house tonight to pic up mine. Chris you sent it to my old addy. Either way I am very pleased and can't wait to read the article on Owen and republication of the CofW.

There is a lot of good stuff in this one that I am looking forward to reading. Woo Hoo.

Not bad for a Reformed Baptist.... Aye?
Sorry Randy; the update did not flow to the original invoice I suspect and that is why it still went to the old address.

-----Added 12/20/2008 at 09:40:23 EST-----

Several days ago, before this thread, I already complemented Chris for sending me two volumes including an article by one of our own PB Antipodean writers. I've thanked and complemented them both. I will, however, take this time to humbly ask that the font for "t" which is exceedingly irritating, be replaced by a "t" font that is a bit more current, as it really doesn't add, but rather distracts.

Andrew and Jessica, I felt the same way!
Thanks Tim; happily or unhappily, the editor likes the t, so it's a keeper.

Chris, I received a package today, but it only had issue 3 in it. Is issue 4 coming separately?

Ah, I just saw that the mailing envelope says "2 of 2." I suppose the Great Postal Monster ate the first one. Grrrr, Great Postal Monster. Give it back, I say.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, I forgot. Over dinner last night Josh, Rich and I decided we'd boot all the RBs. It's a paedo take over.:smug: Or ... wait ... maybe I lost something of the main points of conversation from all the cigar smoke they were blowing at me outside Starbucks.:)

OK, I was one of the first to post that my copy had arrived and what thanks do I get? You smugly (at least that is what the description of the emoticon says) suggest that amid blowing cigar smoke, you want to blow off all of your non-paedo brethren!?! Sounds more like you were smoking some other weed than tobackky! :lol::lol::lol: As the t-shirt says . . .

reformedbaptists.jpg

Man! That was almost as bad as hearing the intercom crackle on while in home-room and hearing, "Mrs. Jones, please send...", and then you cringe waiting to hear the name, hoping it won't be yours. The look of dread on the faces of the trouble-makers had to be hilarious for the teacher.

Nice shirt! :lol:
Thanks for your support; enjoy the journal!:)

OK, I was one of the first to post that my copy had arrived and what thanks do I get? You smugly (at least that is what the description of the emoticon says) suggest that amid blowing cigar smoke, you want to blow off all of your non-paedo brethren!?! Sounds more like you were smoking some other weed than tobackky! :lol::lol::lol: As the t-shirt says . . .

reformedbaptists.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back